Taiwan to introduce cheapest 5G unlimited data plan in world | Taiwan News

Hundreds of terabytes?
I download 100gb a month on 4G and thought that was a lot

1 Like

Not really insecure in the sense there is no reliable security. It’s insecure because manufacturers are not required to keep IoT devices up to date and secure after sale. Even the best companies only guarantee a couple of years I think. They need laws to address this.

0041a1058151d8669924ea3b03ac094e 742641a7ee10427e1d6faed7493e5ff2

If getting 5G means anti 5G people will stay away from me I will get it today.

3 Likes

The funny thing was the tower those idiots set on fire was 4G, it had no 5G equipment on it

I need 5G in my phone like I need a tumor in my brain.

I also share hotspot and stream multiple movies over multiple devices while doing other things on phone. Seems fine as it is.

So, does anyone actually have 5G yet? I’m keen to see some test results, thinking about upgrading for the remainder of my contract, under a year left.

5G might kill COVID-19 bugs when it takes out your red and white blood cells.

So many people connected to your phone.

It depends where you are, Taipei city has excellent 4G but also varies according to location there.

You can find the test results on youtube.

Only Europeans and Americans have been dumb enough to do it.

Cannot find one that actually does the full speed test including latency, and most of them don’t even run tests just load fucking videos and download games…

edit: found this though

Yeah. I mocked my dad about tin foil hats when he told us not to ever enter our home address into what would have been mapquest at the time (mid 2000s). He’s a software engineer and didn’t understand when then Applemaps showed up with our street block (2010s). It’s called Wifi, dad; no one entered the home address into google, thanks for being paranoid.

Fast forward to now and I walk into my friends’ homes and unplug their smart speakers before I greet them. If I ever buy a car, I want an unhackable clunker from the 90’s or before not because I hate the earth but because environmentally friendly cars also have constantly updating tech which pings back to their data farms. When the zombies come, Teslas will be worthless not because they run on electricity, which can’t be carried the way gas is, but because someone can shut your car down from anywhere or know exactly where you are to the meter and attack.

And why has no one brought up the whole “Huawei bad” thing? We’re right next to China, folks.

I know people offer me the tin foil hats now, but I’m OK with that. Anyone who’s watched HK or Western China in the past three years should be very afraid of easy and cheap connectivity.

I hope you inform them prior otherwise it’s just rude.

I hope no one ever puts their smart speaker in the bedroom. :thinking:

2 Likes

Guilty. I have both Alexa (Echo Studio + Echo Show) and a Google Home Max in the bedroom.

I listen to music and sleeping sounds on them. Cricket Sounds on Alexa with Country Night Sounds on Google are the perfect harmony for sleeping.

I was the ‘smart speaker’ in my last apartment. Walls paper thin and you could hear everything on both adjoining apartments.

It’s kinda creepy now that Google home, Alexa, and Nest can all listen in and get off now haha.
Then again everyone’s phone is listening in as it is now anyway.

They know the first thing I go for is the smart speaker’s plug. They all think I’m crazy/don’t think it’s a big deal that a device is listening to and recording everything that happens in their house. Cuz I want Amazon to know what food I brought over or how my drive over was. Not.

Most disturbing was the friend who had a google smart speaker in the guest bedroom (that I was staying in). I don’t even like the idea that my phone might be listening to me, now you put a speaker in the bedroom that is designed to actively listen for sounds? There are stories of people whose neighbors or even distant colleagues’ printers started printing out transcriptions of their conversations. The bedroom though? It’s creepy and I don’t understand how anyone thinks that’s “convenient”.

1 Like

if you are in Taipei you can get real fiber for 588 NT. a month. Nothing beats fiber when it comes to latency, not worth replacing your home internet with this. Might be worth for larger countries with rural areas.

1 Like

My understanding is 5G is a smart wireless protocol that largely fixes the last mile issue , you still put fiber into a given town or area but set up a lot of small transmitters on lampposts and telegraph poles etc which means you then may not need to have fiber going into your house. And in fact even the building I am in now doesn’t have fiber in Taipei as the residents won’t pay for installation!

1 Like