Taiwan to join Carbon Credits trading system

Already the issue of Taiwan joining the Carbon Credits trading system is creating something of a stir. I am aware of the arguments against, but feel, on balance, that Taiwan should join the system, just for the positive precedent it sets. If a better alternative comes to the fore, on a global level, and it is adopted by those countries who already have an established ‘responsible environmental track record’ - such as the Skandanavian countries - then perhaps that would be the time to review Taiwan’s participation. But for now,I think we should support the initiative.

Anyone care to comment further?

What freaking numb-nutz in the Yuan pushed this ridiculous scam through and how much kick-back (hung bao) are they getting?

Some people like pretty graphs…heres one on the brewing European Scandal on Carbon Credit market:

Magnified view from CCX main page

[i]"“Dead” is a word that might describe trading on this exchange.

Maybe it has something to do with the members of the advisory board? On it we find Ed Begley Jr., Joe Kennedy II, and Dr. Rajenda Pachauri. With a team like that, how could it fail?
The real problem with carbon credits is that there’s nothing tangible to trade. It’s all spun from thin air, literally.
At least if you trade pork bellies, corn, wheat, or even orange juice, there’s something tangible that will eventually be delivered somewhere – Anthony"[/i]
Article:
Scandal Brewing in the Euro Carbon Credits market

Oh yeah Taiwan…throw some money at this.

• psssst…AJ & I have a deal for youze!..call me

What initiative? Taiwan can’t join this ridiculous snake oil balderdash because its not a UN member. Where are your links?
There has been talk about Taiwan setting up factories in some of its African allies in exchange for carbon credits, however. :laughing:

They are participating Taiwan-style: through the gray market.

[ul]http://uk.news.yahoo.com/18/20100318/tsc-taiwan-eyes-carbon-credits-b1f5339.html

“Taiwan, which is recognised by only 23 countries and is not a member of the United Nations, plans to set up an offshore company so it can participate in carbon trading, the official said.”[/ul]

Taiwan’s participation is a joke – when the current round of coal plant construction is completed, the first, fourth, and fifth biggest single CO2 sources on earth will be coal plants in central and southern Taiwan. We’re number 1!

Hmmm… a Republican opposing a successful Republican idea, just because the Dems are pushing it. :bravo:

[quote=“sandman”]What initiative? Taiwan can’t join this ridiculous snake oil balderdash because its not a UN member. Where are your links?
There has been talk about Taiwan setting up factories in some of its African allies in exchange for carbon credits, however. :laughing:[/quote]

This isn’t all that new. It has been in the Chinese-language media for a while. The plan is to set up a front company in Japan to handle the trading.

Who are you referring to?

I’ve got some imaginary swamp land in th everglades that I’d be willing to trade for some decent Darjeeling.

Deal!

Hopefully this Carbon Trading crap all died with Copenhagen.

Most banks, including my current employer, are all scaling back on their “carbon trading desks.”

Keep an eye out because there may be some attempts to setup local and regional markets.

During the Jurassic period, carbon dioxide was 100 times GREATER than it is today. Animals were GIGANTIC and so were the plants.

Thats all i have to say about that.