Taiwan took my phone #

“Dear Bree,
Thank you for being a valued customer and subscribing to OneSuite Forwarding service. Regretfully, we have been forced by Taiwan government agencies to discontinue the Taiwan phone numbers as part of our OneSuite Forwarding service, due to regulatory concerns.

Effective July 15, 2018, your subscribed Taiwan phone number will be cancelled and removed from your account.”
:tired_face:

Nazis

Regulatory concerns ? What exactly ?

I was hoping that someone here knew. Looks like I’m buying a dual sim phone after all. Is number portability a thing here? Any chance I’ll be able to transfer my landline number to a cell?

This is probably related to the similar problem with Skype. I created my first Skype account many years ago in Taiwan. When I wanted to put money on my account, I would simply use my credit card and buy Skype credit. My account was set up to auto recharge when the credit fell below a certain level. Then, my credit card expired and it wouldn’t auto recharge, so I had to input my renewed credit card. But, I couldn’t do it. The add Skype credit page just kept getting hijacked and took me to a Taiwanese website for purchase. I think it was PC Home or something like that. Anyway, I tried using a VPN to bypass it, but still couldn’t. Also, to buy Skype credit, I was required to register my name and ID and address, etc. After research, I found out that Taiwan started to control and regulate all phone calls made through the Skype system based on any Skype account that was originally created in Taiwan. So, I used my VPN, connected to the US, created a new Skype account and bought Skype credit the same way I’ve always done it without being forced to comply with Taiwanese regulations. Although I created this new account sitting at my desk in Taiwan, the VPN made the account as verified being created in the US. I abandoned my original “Made in Taiwan” Skype account and have never had any “regulation issues” since!

So, your issue with call forwarding seems to be that Taiwan wants to control or perhaps stop any outside phone calls being forwarded to a Taiwanese phone number. Reasons? The excuse will be crime prevention. The truth will most likely be the only thing that Taiwanese truly care about. $$$$$!!! I’m guessing that they are trying to pressure the forwarding company into paying a tribute to allow call forwarding or perhaps they want a portion of the forwarding revenue for all calls entering Taiwan.

Ah, I had the same problem. I tried to register Skype account in Taiwan ( after having an account for years ) same thing, it was all Chinese and I subscribed , I think 100 USD for 12 months. It never would work . Tried to get it resolved , but even my Taiwanese friends could not work it out. Gave up on Skype.

I had the exact same problem. About 8 years ago maybe? It was fine until that PC Home shit showed up.

Haven’t paid any money for skype since. To hell with them.

OK, OK, OK, I give.

I stole it.
And gave it to brother @the_bear for his birthday.
Expect to hear from him soon.

Wait, does that work??
Hold on…

I dumped it. Ain’t got no truck with moody phone numbers.

But, just remember that this isn’t a Skype problem per say. If you use a Skype account created in the US, you won’t get this issue. It’s all about Taiwan and the quest for control, but mostly the quest for MONEY!

Skype works fine for me now, except for the new “people you may know” suggestion. I guess Microsoft wants to turn Skype into a Facebook/Instagram/Tinder platform now. That’s why I won’t update to the newest version of Skype.

VPN yourself a new Skype created in the US and you’re good to go.