Taiwan tour by bicycle + Okinawa cruisers

perhaps because Kaohsiung is 400km further away than Keelung from Okinawa…

or perhaps it depends on high/low season? or if they think you’re pretty? or if you vomit on the boat?

NO, we all get debug messages from time to time… been a problem recently.

As I know,there are two ferry you can take.
One is ARIMURA LINE and the other is Starcruise.

ocvb.or.jp/index.php?current … =header_en

If you take the Starcruise,it will be more expensive.

If you’re interested Pirem, I have a Giant mountain bike for sale. It’s about 6 years old, but was only really ridden for 1 of those years.
I used this bike to do a tour of the Visayas islands in the Phillippines last year and it’s in really good shape.
I recently replaced the entire drive train ($3,500NT) and am selling it cheap for $8,500 to stop my wife from complaining about why one man needs 3 bikes.

You can see pictures at madlybackwards.blogspot.com/2006 … rip-1.html

If you’re interested then pm me.

Thank you very much everybody for your kind answers.

wisher,

I’ve looked on the internet about those two companies, but for Arimura line, I can’t find prices for the taiwanese departures cities ^-^ And on the starcruise’s website, I just couldn’t find any relevant information…I mean they all offer trip fir a limited number of nights and such…like big packages with museum, restaurants etc…I couldn’t see anything about only the trip alone.

Ktownboy,

thank you for the offer.
The fact is, i am not going to be in taiwan before august and I dont know what will exactly happen when ill be there, so i prefer not to make any promise right now.

By the way, i was wondering if there were people here knowing about the couchsurfing community ?

If you want a cheap bike, then you can get a decent new Giant mountain bike for about 4000. Not top of the line or anything, but mine’s served me well for years (front suspension, shimano gears). I bought it from Alan’s actually.

I’ve got a stock standard 2005 Giant Yukon (V brakes, not disc), that I don’t ride too much in summer. It might need a few mods for touring (it’s got one bottle cage, and I have another that I haven’t gotten around to fitting, rear light, mini-pump, lock), but if you’re happy to pay for the mods, then I’ll let you borrow it for free for the ride, just as long as I get it back afterwards.

Thanks Bu lai en for the info, which gives a little more data to build my budget for my trip.
And thank you too cfimages, I just sent you a pm about your gentle offer.

Well,it’s done, I know my precise dates, and I am currently making my roadmap. Thanks to everybody who helped with their kind answers so far.

I have few other questions left.
This time it is about camping. So I’ve left a post in the sticky topic that can be found there :

[url]Campsites in Taiwan

But as I want to keep all my questions in this topic too, I will repeat my two questions here :

does it exist a map of Taiwan of all (the main at least) camping sites of the islands ?

And another question is there any regulation about camping outside of regular camping site ? Is it allowed to put up a tent in the nature or not ?

Thanks again everybody. Your help is so priceless !

I’m on the early stages of planning my own tour this august so I found your post. You mentioned that you were looking for hospitality sites, I wondered whether you’ve directed your attention to the http://www.warmshowers.org/, I’ve been a guest myself a couple of times 2 years ago in Australia and although the experiences vary greatly from hosts to host, mine were all very satisfying, the best of all, you get to know the locals and local news and rumours.

As to the wild camping and the existence of a map of campsites, despite being a local I can’t answer your question yet, this is the first time I’m doing my own country and the first couple of hours into my research. But I seem to remember came across somewhere or someone saying that you’re not allowed to camp in the wild, could be wrong though.

Not making any promises on the current stage is a wise move. I don’t know much about renting bikes, but I got a spare one at home collecting dust so I might be able to let you have it for the trip, as long as you’re not taking it with you to Japan. It’s not a high-end bike, but we’ve done el Camino de Santiago and Iceland together so figure it will do for moderate touring in Taiwan, I’m not vouching for mountainbiking of course. Here’s a picture http://schuma.fotopic.net/p5157193.html. I’ve replaced the rack for a more sturdy one, and I’m about 5’7-8.

I don’t have a fixed date to start, somewhere around early august (the advantage of not having to fly), let me know what you think or your plans, we might meet ont he road, or even tour together.

I believe it is not legal to camp just anywhere we want, but then again there are few police to care, so go ahead!

Well, thanks for your answers about wild camping. Anyway, there will be nights I won’t have any other choice. I’ll try to think about asking for camping sites map when arriving in CKS airport.
As for you Schwamie, I am arriving in Taiwan on the 18th august and starting my tour around the 20th august I think. I can give you more details if you want, and I would be glad to get some more about your project too. Just send me a pm with what you are up to. Maybe now you have a more precise idea of what and when you want to do what.

And I was wondering if there would be any host here on the penghu islands (pescadores islands) for a bike rider for a night ? Or maybe do you guys think I should open a topic for this or that it is not the right place to make that kind of questions ?

As always, thanks everybody for your time.

And here for the french reading community is a website I am doing about touring Taiwan bicycle :

http://sgougintaiwan.wordpress.com