Taiwan train stories

tommy rode them to fulung in the mid 70s and late 70s. 25nt for them, no A/C but the young tea boys came by with hot tea (free) . Windows open for natural cooling and to smell the diesel exhaust when you went through one of the many tunnels (one super long one had you gasping for breath almost). The ChuKwang (then best train ) was 64 nt each way and you rode in A/C comfort in those blue velvet seats for 90 mins. Was awesome.
One didnt want to miss those trains. I was getting a (censored) and still i didnt want to miss that chukwang train. But to mention once more there was the even older train for 18nt each way that went to keelung first before heading to taipei from fulung and vice versa. That was the train i had that famous long slow dance on.
NOw THAT was worth more than the ChuKwang .

1 Like

so sad ,looks like such a lovely girl (equally sad though if she was plain looking).

Chukwang is a new low in Tommy pinyin :joy:

2 Likes

that my friend is how it was spelled back then. along with tzechiang and fushing

1 Like

Chukwang is a new low in Tommy pinyin

@tommy525 meet @Icon

4 Likes

I think @icon wins. :grin:

2 Likes

What are those 18nt trains?

1 Like

well

I have actually been on those !!

I have actually met Icon :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Fortunately it didn’t go any further and Roman Pinyin is safe for now.

3 Likes

blame Wade-Giles :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Ah yes Wade and Giles. They have a lot to answer for.
Giles spent too long in Tamshui and didn’t realise he was actually translating Taiwanese and not Mandarin half the time (I’m not joking either ).

Hence Tamshui became…Tamshui lol.

3 Likes

don’t tell me you never been on the Twayhao (the limited express)? That was the 25nt train to fulung.
With assigned seats (still no AC) as opposed to the 18nt trains which were older and had no assigned seats, you assigned yourself to any seat if there was actually any.

2 Likes

I try to stay away from the really powerful psychedelic drugs…

ahhh the marakesh express

1 Like

Much better than the Midnight Express.

That is painful Tommy. Ewwww.

1 Like

which was a pretty good movie

Local Kaohusing within urban underground is under NT25, small discount with cards.