Taiwan train stories

Just for those who don’t get it, it’s either Tamsui or Danshui.

Or Tanshui.

Or Tanshuei.

Or Dansui.

6 Likes

Let’s get started on Keelung next.

Totally not influenced by Taiwanese speakers…Definitely not. :grin:.

Mando influence would be more like Gee Long

Taiwanese more like Gay Lung

I prefer the Taiwanese more like DUM CHEWY

Keelung (pinyin: Jīlóng ; Hokkien POJ: Ke-lâng ), officially known as Keelung City ,

Very nice train

1 Like

The new trains are awesome Tommy. You would love em I took it a couple of times and in some ways I prefer it to the HSR. Seat are more comfy for a start and more space. Smooth and fast ride. They also have snack service. The only thing I wish it had was a bar /cafe, I’ll keep dreaming .
Prices haven’t even gone up yet although I guess they will soon.

3 Likes

Until TRA has another nasty accident and blame game happens… Not sure I trust their maintenance track records. A lot of chabuduo going on in there.

I took a Puyoma with serious vibration issue… only reason is because of bad rolling stock or track maintenance. Then that Taroko train crash happened a few days later. Sure, the trains are lovely and nice for the first year or so, then they just let things rot… as they usually do.

So I’d take HSR if I value my life/safety.

Except these trains are a different design than the Puyuma, as far I know these are not tilting trains or just slightly tilting. They are also longer so the capacity will increase to the east coast in particular.
Anyway they are pretty damn nice.

2 Likes

I think the idea with tilting trains is to allow faster speed around tighter bends so they can drive faster in the east where tracks tended to be winding.

Well the problem is if you’re going really fast around a bend how do you react to a giant Boulder that just landed on the track? Just bad idea.

Maybe a giant deflector at the front ?

That’s the expectation, some time in 2024:

Current TRA fares have apparently remained frozen since (wait for it) . . . 28 years!

Guy

3 Likes

I see that in the article. It’s really hard to believe. I don’t find the tickets cheap. I find them very reasonably priced but not cheap. I imagine they seemed downright expensive for some 20+ years ago.

2 Likes

That’s why tpass got real popular. Tra isn’t supposed to profit by the way.

1 Like

Yep so many people used to take the bus. But anybody with experience knows the bus wasn’t worth it during busy holiday periods.
They don’t do surge pricing or any of that malarky, not looking forward to that at all.

3 Likes