šŸž Taiwan Travel - Unique places to go in Taiwan

Hi! I have been in Taiwan (Staying in Kaohsiung) for 2 1/2 months and will be here for about 2 more months.

Have visited popular places like:

Taipei (Yehliu, Wulai, Jiufen, Shifen, Beitou, Danshui, Wufenpu, temples & memorial halls)
Taichung (Rainbow village, carton king, banana new paradise, temples) (didnā€™t visit lavender farm as itā€™s not in season)
Hualien (Dolphin/Whale watching, east rift valley)
Leofoo Village
Cingjing farm
Chiayi & Alishan
Kenting
Kaohsiung (FoGuangShan, Baseball place, Dragon Tiger Pagoda, British consulate, sizihwan, cijin island, dream mall etc)

Iā€™m planning to travel more while Iā€™m still in Taiwan, but Iā€™m not sure where else I should go!
Currently Iā€™m planning for Flying cow ranch, shen xian valley, jing yuan leisure farm, taroko gorge & kenting water sports.

Any suggestions on where else I can go? Looking for more unique experiences rather than visiting temples/night markets as I have been to quite a few already.

Really hope to get some advice!! Thank you :slight_smile:

I really like Beipu and the scenery around there.

Good suggestion. I recommend back mountains of Chiayi Ruili area , need transportation. I also recommend Sanyi and Neiwan and Nanzhuang. Dulan and Taidong are nice in general and very relaxed with aboriginal folk.

You seem to be targeting many themed farms/resorts. Along that line, I recommend Shanshangrenjia (å±±äøŠäŗŗ家) in Hsinchu.

If you donā€™t mind going a bit more off road, thereā€™s Smangus(åø馬åŗ«ę–Æ) in Hsinchu, Walami (ē“¦ę‹‰ē±³) in Hualien, Cuilu Trail (錐é¹æ古道) in Hualien. You also seemed to have skipped Tainan in terms of major metropolitan areas.

Shanlinsea and Xitou are also resorty but also very natural.

How about the offshore islands? I like all of them, cause they are so different from Taiwan mainland.

Wow thanks so much for all the suggestions! So many new places that I didnā€™t find from Google haha :slight_smile:

I want to go to the islands but will it be fun to go during the coming months when the cold weather is starting to set in?

Also, I was planning to travel to Taipei for the Taipei 101 NYE fireworks! But a friend said concerts in Kaohsiung would be better. Canā€™t find any lineups for Taipei and Kaohshiung, was wondering if you guys have any suggestions?

A few photos from up the road:
synapticism.com/a-trip-into-the- ā€¦ s-of-lugu/

A few photos from up the road:
synapticism.com/a-trip-into-the- ā€¦ s-of-lugu/[/quote]

if you go even more up the roadā€¦ a lot harder to get to, probably need to camp out there for a night.

youā€™ll get to here:
http://www.backpackers.com.tw/forum/gallery/images/406124/1_IMAG0434.jpg

similar view. Wangyou Forestā€™s entrance is by the tea house, Shuiyang Forestā€™s entrance is in Shanlinsea.

May I recommend GeoGuessr. They have a Taiwan-specific version.

geoguessr.com/taiwan/play

[quote=ā€œHokwongweiā€]May I recommend GeoGuessr. They have a Taiwan-specific version.

geoguessr.com/taiwan/play[/quote]

Love playing that! :slight_smile:

[quote=ā€œhannesā€][quote=ā€œHokwongweiā€]May I recommend GeoGuessr. They have a Taiwan-specific version.

Love playing that! :slight_smile:[/quote]

Hit 600 meter from one rural spot in Yunlin that could have been anywhere. :sunglasses:

only got 8823 pointsā€¦

ok, just upped the score to 22623

In terms of man-made historic sites, Tainan and Taipei probably have the highest concentration. Iā€™d say Hualien, Yilan, Taidong are worth going as well.

Although you have been to Kaohsiungā€™s Former British Consulate, many of them have the same kind of feel.

In Tainan you would find An-ping ruins (former Dutch Fort Zeelandia), near by there are a couple of Qing era European trade houses, a really famous one is the Tree House, where an entire building is slowly being covered by a giant tree. Near by youā€™d find the An-ping old district, and itā€™s pretty fun to wonder inside it. By the way, this place is where Taiwan got its name. Thereā€™s also Yizaijincheng, a Qing era cannon fort near by.

Going a bit farther south, youā€™d get to Sicao, where you a take a short boat ride through the mangroves or all the way back to Tainan City. It was a major battle field between the Dutch and Koxingaā€™s armies. The temple there by the dock was built to ease the souls of nameless soldiers, and thereā€™s a burial for unnamed Dutch soldiers next to the temple.

Theyā€™ve painted it recentlyā€¦

Sicao Mangroves

At down town Tainan you can find the oldest Confucius temple in Taiwan, worth going to. Near-by thereā€™s Japanese era Martial Art House, and Taiwan Literature Building, which I highly recommend. The building served as Tainanā€™s City Hall during the Japanese era.

I donā€™t know if Chikanlou (former Dutch Fort Provincia) is worth going to, but the Qing era Wumiao (martial arts temple) I think is pretty amazing. I also find Wufeimiao (burial of the wives of the last Ming dynasty Emperor) pretty unique as well.

Finally, a new National Museum of Taiwanā€™s History in Tainan is pretty amazing too.
nmth.gov.tw/enmain/

zh.wikipedia.org/wiki/%E8%87%BA% ā€¦ 7%E7%94%A2
thereā€™s a good list of Tainanā€™s historic sites on wiki

Although really, historic sites are only fun when you are interested in the historic stories, otherwise you have to really enjoy classical architecture.

There are so many more in other citiesā€¦ I guess Iā€™ll leave it for another day. Although I have to say I have very fond memories of Taidongā€™s National Museum of Prehistory and the Puyuma Prehistoric Culture Park next to itā€¦ Old distric of Taipeiā€™s Sanxia I think is worth going to alsoā€¦

[quote=ā€œHokwongweiā€]May I recommend GeoGuessr. They have a Taiwan-specific version.

Addictive!

Also, wouldnā€™t you know it, but theyā€™re using one of my photosā€¦

Err, uhm, congrats I guess? But get on that. Do not let those thieves off the hook.

I tend not to get overly concerned about these thingsā€¦ almost all my images are licensed under the Creative Commons, after all. But for that same reason I do try and chase people down to provide credit wherever possible.

CPR still works on some threads.

Whatā€™s up with this conflict? Not enough money spread out to those involved? Been to this place before. Pretty cool.

Some of the buildings were not intended to be permanent and thus were not built to last. They require extensive renovation to preserve the structure.

A business did not want to move out so renovations and structural improvements could take place. When forced to leave, they decided in their infinite wisdom that they should destroy what makes the place special because if they canā€™t use it, nobody should be able to.

3 Likes

Thatā€™s a piece of it. The business was contracted to maintain the site and many of the paintings were their original works. I think they also sold stuff. The city decided to close the site for renovations and terminated the contract. The company claims the work they painted was their intellectual property. They destroyed what they considered to be their own work rather than let the government claim it. The original paintings of the resident who started it all are still there except for what the city destroyed in previous renovations. Some news is saying the company painted over his work, but it may have been what they repainted after renovations. The company was fighting for the intellectual property rights in court. The city may have wanted more renovations to get rid of them, or they may have suspected that. Still a dickish thing for artists to do.