Taiwan v. Japan

Has any lived and taught in Japan?

I have a job offer in Japan… the money is good… 28 hrs a week with office time… and they have no problem with other jobs… will even help finding private tutor jobs to make more $$$$$… with 5 hours of free Japanese lessons a week for the fist 6 months…

Just want to know if anyone has lived-- taught

Living… Work… Food… Nightlife… etc…It is 30 min from Tokyo…

What place is better… for overall experience… I am only going to stay Feb-2006 to July-2007… then I come back for MBA/JD School in the states…

You realize of course that you are soliciting opinions from people you don’t know. This is for the most part next to useless. Would you ask a random group of strangers for a movie recommendation?

Ask more pointed questions and explain what you would like to experience. Some people love Japan for its order and cleanliness and exotic culture. Others are turned off by what they see as the sterility of Japanese life and the bland conformity of its people. There’s only one way to peel an orange and if you don’t do it right (or even know there is a right and wrong way) you are secretly pitied, or despised.

Some people love the freewheeling feeling of Taiwan, love the mountains, love the ease of which one can adapt to life here. Sure it’s exotic but it’s also pretty comfortable and convenient on a daily basis. Taipei has everything you’d want at prices similar to back home. Others can’t bear the disorder of life here, the ugliness of the cities, and the it’s-good-enough-mentality of the populace.

Go to Japan. Really.

[quote]You realize of course that you are soliciting opinions from people you don’t know. This is for the most part next to useless. Would you ask a random group of strangers for a movie recommendation?
[/quote]

I am going to go back to sleep… before I respond… It has been a long week and I do not want to overreact and be rude…because I am sure that you are not implying that I am some sort mindless idiot that is incapable of making decisions for myself therefore adopting the opinions of the individuals of this form as my own so I can make life decisions.

I need to sleep… be back… later…

Please elaborate… examples… on why… A comparative analysis of the two countries

The only way to know is to go to both places yourself. Two different people will more than likely give you two different, contradictory opinions. In all the discussions I’ve seen and heard regarding Taiwan vs. Japan vs. Korea, the only conclusion I’ve reached is that Your Mileage May Vary.

[quote=“shanem2778”][quote]You realize of course that you are soliciting opinions from people you don’t know. This is for the most part next to useless. Would you ask a random group of strangers for a movie recommendation?
[/quote]

I am going to go back to sleep… before I respond… It has been a long week and I do not want to overreact and be rude…because I am sure that you are not implying that I am some sort mindless idiot that is incapable of making decisions for myself therefore adopting the opinions of the individuals of this form as my own so I can make life decisions.

[/quote]

I’m definitely not being rude. Mod Lang reiterates the point: different people will see countries, movies, books, etc., differently. The only way for us to be of help is if we know what you want to experience.

In the travel section people ask for advice all the time regarding what to see when they come to taiwan. In the past I would give advice about mountains to hike, rivers to swim in, cool temples to see, etc., only to get a response such as “I just want to stay in taipei and shop.” Then why the fuck didn’t you say so in your initial post?

So now I try to guide people into helping themselves get the answers they want, but without wasting everyone’s time typing things that are of no use.

I now live in Taiwan but have been going to Tokyo for the past 20 years maybe 5-8 times per year and I work for a Japanese company. First Tokyo is great if someone else is paying. It is very expensive no matter how adaptable you are.

It is real easy to “eat” and “act” a Japanese life style which is expensive then blow if all with one Western moment of weakness. This refers to money and also attitude. The Japanese never seem to forget when a Westerner losses it.

You mentioned 30 minutes outside Tokyo. I understand 30 minutes outside Taipei but 30 minutes outside Tokyo is “Buyer Beware” Tokyo is huge and in reality it takes many people two hours to commute each way to work even though they live in Tokyo and work in Tokyo.

But all in all I like it. You have to get use to the incredible organization of Japan. Trians run on time, no one jay walks, everyone wears the appropriate attire for ALL occasions.

And lest I forget the women are beautiful and spend all their money to maintain this look. It is pleasing to just watch.

So you need double the money you need here and be prepared to live according to rules, otherwise you will find yourself quickly left out.

Suggestion:
become a regular on japanese teaching forum and make it a daily read for a while.
visit japan before actually teaching there to get a feel for it.
read up on japanese culture and mentality

this will deffinately help you settle your mind.

why dont you share with us what kind of experience your wanting over all.
the 2 countries are quite different and you will get 2 different experiences.

some members may not want to write up a long comparison, rather, read what your looking for and follow up on your points on why you should choose one country over the other.

my 2 cents.