Taiwan visa for Thai national

Hello,

I’m planning to move from Bangkok to Taiwan in the next few months. I will be teaching English, hopefully in the Taichung area.

I would like to bring my Thai girlfriend with me. Does anyone know anything about the process and document requirements for a Thai national to apply for a visa to Taiwan?

It looks like the tourist visa will be a bit of hassle, and it would only be good for 60 days. Is it possible for her to have some sort of dependent visa, since I’ll be working there legally with an ARC and other proper documents?

If not, would it be possible to get a student visa, if she studied Mandarin?

Thanks in advance for your help.

[quote=“barfomcgee”]Hello,

I’m planning to move from Bangkok to Taiwan in the next few months. I will be teaching English, hopefully in the Taichung area.

I would like to bring my Thai girlfriend with me. Does anyone know anything about the process and document requirements for a Thai national to apply for a visa to Taiwan?

It looks like the tourist visa will be a bit of hassle, and it would only be good for 60 days. Is it possible for her to have some sort of dependent visa, since I’ll be working there legally with an ARC and other proper documents?

If not, would it be possible to get a student visa, if she studied Mandarin?

Thanks in advance for your help.[/quote]

strange no one answered this…

its very hard to bring in thai or filipino girlfriends. or even wives. if she has chinese ancestry it might be easier. but there is no way you can bring her in simply as a gf…

HGC is married to a Thai and he can’t even bring the missus over…go figure…

Wait, wait, wait!

I’m not married to a Thai. The issues I had related to my Thai defacto getting a vistor visa in record time. Failed the first time, but succeeded the second. In fact the Bangkok Taipei visa office were superb second time round. It took some work - I think they wanted assurances about funds, or something.

As to the OP, Taiwan, like other small-minded countries, refuses to accept common law marriages or defactos as dependants. You have to be married to bring her in that way. She could possibly get in as a student, but that is a backdoor method and far from guaranteed. She will, alas, because she is Thai, come under more scrutiny than would otherwise be the case. However, it is by no means impossible.

I’d get applying to language schools before you nailed that job and upped stumps.

HG

[quote=“Huang Guang Chen”]Wait, wait, wait!

I’m not married to a Thai. The issues I had related to my Thai defacto getting a vistor visa in record time. Failed the first time, but succeeded the second. In fact the Bangkok Taipei visa office were superb second time round. It took some work - I think they wanted assurances about funds, or something.

As to the OP, Taiwan, like other small-minded countries, refuses to accept common law marriages or defactos as dependants. You have to be married to bring her in that way. She could possibly get in as a student, but that is a backdoor method and far from guaranteed. She will, alas, because she is Thai, come under more scrutiny than would otherwise be the case. However, it is by no means impossible.

I’d get applying to language schools before you nailed that job and upped stumps.

HG[/quote]

oops my bad…common law wife then…so anyway she could get a visitor visa with proof of funds but as a dependant on an ARC it’s not a goer i guess…

Are Thais allowed in on a landing visa?
One of those 14 day ones I guess?

Nope.

[quote]Countries eligible for Landing Visas:

1. Nationals of Czech Republic, Hungary , Poland and Slovak
  2. Holders of USA passport with validity less than six months* visa

Countries eligible for Visa-exempt entry: Australia, Austria, Belgium, Canada, Costa Rica, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Ireland, Iceland, Italy, *Japan, Republic of Korea, Liechtenstein, Luxembourg, Malaysia, Malta, Monaco, the Netherlands , New Zealand, Norway, Portugal, Singapore, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, U.K. and U.S.A.[/quote]

HG