Taiwan vs Japan living

I take it you were not in the capital? If you like older sour faced people, come on over and hang out in Daan! :grin:

Were you moving around loudly chatting with your mates? I was travelling solo, and therefore silent, which may have made a difference.

Guy

1 Like

Nagoya and Sendai. I was the only visible foreigner with a bunch of Taiwanese.

1 Like

Were the Taiwanese chatting loudly? If so, that may have made a difference.

Nagoya, btw, regularly gets voted as the most boring city in Japan! I think of it as a place with tasty foods. How was your experience there?

Guy

1 Like

Yeah the Taiwanese were laughing quite often so it could be that.

1 Like

This part I’m thankful for when yours truly is tooling around in cargo shorts and a tee on weekends. I then went to Seoul once from Taiwan and felt trashy all vacation. You’ll actually get a look of disgust from many Koreans if you dress casually

6 Likes

:rofl:

Yup I can imagine that.

Guy

2 Likes

It was not bad there was a few castles and stuff around but it’s nothing like Tokyo or Kyoto. Technically I was there for work, though not much work to do lol. I’m not looking a gift horse in the mouth.

1 Like

My favourite Nagoya video, featuring some visiting guys from Tokyo, and a Buddhist riddle at the end. Enjoy!

Guy

I’ll say this though, way more immigrants than I expected. I thought they’d be non-existent outside of Tokyo.

1 Like

I might think more immigrants outside of Tokyo, as Tokyo itself is getting more Japanese moving there as are some other cities. Nagoya has a lot heavy industry which immigrants are doing more work there. (A lot people from Brasil in Central Japan as well some Taiwanese)

2 Likes

I mean, Taiwan is a tropical island. You’ll get strange looks if you dress casually in pretty much any other Asian country that’s not in the tropics, especially in the large cities.

The options for good dress is really limited in Taiwan due to how hot it gets. It’s much easier to dress well when it’s always cold.

2 Likes

I am sorry to inform you that every point north of Chiayi is not “tropical.” Taipei City (the reference point of my comparison) is not “tropical.”

Guy

1 Like

So during the summer you don’t wish you could just remove every last bit of clothing on you and it’s still too hot, even in the shade?

I could for example wear suit and tie in Germany in the summer, it wouldn’t be the least bit uncomfortable even if it makes me feel awkward (I hate those kind of dresses), in Taiwan it’s going to cause me to die. In the winter, if there’s a cold snap, it’s probably fine in Taiwan, but there’s a reason natives don’t wear a whole lot of clothing in the tropics…

Sure, if you want to get technical.

Taiwan is a (sub)tropical island.

There.

1 Like

I am not being “technical.” I am being factual.

Guy

1 Like

Someone’s trying to convince me to go for that, you know do blue collar work in Japan. How are they treated? Is it anything like SE Asian workers treated in Taiwan where they’re basically prisoners? He thinks that the Japanese will bend over backwards to treat people like me well, but I’ve never been there, and I’m not sure Japan’s work environment is better than Taiwan’s.

A lot of people who been to Japan many time all says don’t live there, it’s a great place to visit but not to live.

Interesting

Yes, your statement was technically a fact. :grin:

Well many people do like to live there and some do not, so should visit first and if you can visit the different cities and regions your interested in. Working hours in Japan are less than Japan is most cases (not all, but Taiwanese seem work longer and harder) and industry safe work areas seem better to me.

The one good thing in Taiwan is warmer winter weather, so like today can eat on the waterfront and have nice meal in 25c temps while my Japan is like 15.
KHH waterfront

3 Likes