Taiwan vs Japan

[quote=“archylgp”][quote=“Confuzius”]
At both 711’s I frequent, I have been asked numerous times “why you no buy beer? foreign man always buy so much beer, drink drink drink every day”. [/quote]

Taiwanese people have never said anything remotely similar to me in such situations, so I wouldn’t generalize too much. Perhaps there’s a drunk in your area who has made an impression. :slight_smile:
[/quote]

I’ve had that spoken to me once or twice: in 15 years.

[quote=“archylgp”][quote=“Confuzius”]
In all honesty (and let people hate me for this) I have noticed that many foreigners here are the dropout drunks. [/quote]

You are perpetuating an untrue (and annoying) stereotype. I suggest you stop going to bars and start going to universities/academia sinica/parks/museums/libraries/Chinese classes/conferences and other public places where you can meet non-intoxicated people. Your perception will change pretty quickly, I’m guessing… [/quote]

Haven’t been to a bar since I got here! Didn’t go in the US and don’t go here. That perception actually comes primarily from this forum, where I have read many people talking about going to teach children while drunk.

[quote=“Confuzius”]
At both 711’s I frequent, I have been asked numerous times “why you no buy beer? foreign man always buy so much beer, drink drink drink every day”. [/quote]

[quote=“archylgp”]
Taiwanese people have never said anything remotely similar to me in such situations, so I wouldn’t generalize too much. Perhaps there’s a drunk in your area who has made an impression. :slight_smile: [/quote]

Two different areas…

Like I said though, the reason THEIR impression made an impression on ME, is from what I have read on this forum.

Not to generalize, I am sure there are many different kinds of folks here. The drunkards, (I would assume) are primarily the 20 somethings with a BA (or not) who want to just come and live it up, screw foreign girls, drink a bunch of beer and go to teach kindy illegally while drunk off their asses. I have met wonderful people on this forum as well…I am just saying, a lot of the posts here can give the same impression these girls at 711 have.

EDIT

I think there is probably a huge difference between people who come here to make a life for themselves long term (or end up doing so in the end) and the people who come here just cus its a cheap foreign place to go, teach english and party it up for a few months.

[quote=“Confuzius”]Never been to Japan (just the Tokyo airport…)

Wow, you go to two 711s, and actually frequent them. Kudos to you.

Your moral superiority is upstanding and obvious.

You understand Taiwanese culture.

:bow:

[quote=“Charlie Phillips”][quote=“Confuzius”]Never been to Japan (just the Tokyo airport…)

Wow, you go to two 711s, and actually frequent them. Kudos to you.

Your moral superiority is upstanding and obvious.

You understand Taiwanese culture.

:bow:[/quote]

A tad offended are we?

And I am morally superior to people who go to teach drunk…as I hope you are as well :slight_smile:

I, too, am morally superior to a unicorn.

Plus, and this is the kicker, I can drink any unicorn under the table.

Bugger the teaching, though. I need acid or pot for that.