Taiwan vs. Thailand, Taipei vs. Chiang Mai

Funny you say that because it implies you think spanish is a beautiful langage ?
In my ear (i speak neither of them), italian is more beautiful to hear than spanish.[/quote]
I prefer English spoken with an Italian accent, like New Yorkers.[/quote]

Spanish is a romance language. It is bursting with machismo. The words meet each other with zest and passion. Thai is a beautiful sounding language. It is gentle, lilting and melodic. Unlike Taiwanese which sounds like two people about to brawl. So while they are two very different languages they are both beautiful sounding and if you learn them you will also find they are both imbued with much history and a sanguine manner. Unlike say Russian or Polish which are for wrist slashers. Thai might sound more feminine, but it is just that Thais are excellent communicators. When it comes to blood sports, however, they have the machismo of the Mexicans. Watch the news.

Languages are complex beasts, too complex to be put into boxes like this. Most languages can sound soft or harsh depending on the circumstances, who is speaking and how they are speaking- yes, even German- although this one is very funny:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlATOHGj9EY .

Russian combines both hard and soft consonants, which makes for some beautiful poetry. It’s not wrist-slitting at all. It is highly inflected, even more so than German, a little too developed perhaps, as expressing a simple idea or thought in Russian needs quite a few words- for instance there is no simple verb for “to be”.

I live in Spain and love the language, although I am finding it difficult to take my Spanish to the highest level because in our house it’s all Chinese and English. I find it to be a great language for communication of simple and complex issues, and a range of emotions.

Italian is probably the most beautiful language I know, there are no harsh sounds which means that even words spoken in anger have a melodic beauty to them.

Of all the languages I know, I have found it most difficult of all to fall in love with Mandarin Chinese. I wish I could, as it is probably the most important language in my life. But I find it too basic, too prescriptive, difficult to get into any rhythm because of the shortness of words, difficult to express (even if I did have the vocabulary, which I don’t) ideas of any complexity. A sentence in Mandarin seems to be over before it is finished, it’s frustrating and nervy to be around. I am sure the Sinophiles here will disagree strongly, but it’s not for me. Actually, I find it much easier (i.e. pleasant and relaxing) to express myself in Spanish than my native language English- British English (or rather, the way the British use English) is edgy and full of sarcasm, cynicism and subtle put-downs which is great for humour and satire, but not so good for an easy chat with a person you happen to be stuck in a lift with.

It is like a caveman language. I go big school. But that is fundamentally true of all language. It has many great expressions.

It’s Hemmingway rather than Shakespeare.