Taiwan - what's the attraction?

I am very perplexed as to the reason why so many people come to Taipei/Taiwan without a job and then stay on whilst eke-ing out a living. What is the attraction? I have been here for 2 god awful years (purely because my hubby and I are both earning good money). When the job is done, we will leave. Without hesitation and without EVER looking back. So what’s the deal? This is a filthy place, an aesthetic and creative black hole (you can’t even get any talented creatives to come here), it has no style, no history, no legacy. No beauty, nothing to do, no great food to speak of (how can you compare Taiwanese with Thai, Malay, Indian??). Its dangerous - earthquake, typhoon,flood.

Thank god the people are nice or else foreign corporations couldn’t pay enough to get people to work here.

I can easily go on and on but I want to know why people stay here if money is not the factor. Live rough in Thailand, by all means for I can see the beauty and culture. But what gets those people to stay here in a one bedroom shack earning 50,000 a month? Wouldn’t it be better to go home?

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, perhaps or
different strokes for different folks.

Personally, in the 1980’s, I had a choice between China and Taiwan. A land where people wore blue all the time (now that’s a political fashion statement)versus Taiwan, where I could work teaching English and studying Mandarin. I chose the latter.

This arguement has been had a million times before. Lets not go there again.

People come and leave here for various reasons and that is not a reason to belittle those who may have ‘less’ than others nor for people to resent those who have ‘more’.

Personally I think Taiwan has much to offer. Infrastructure wise it is appalling and thank god - this is what will save the mountains and beaches from bloated German tourists!

quote:
Originally posted by Jolie: I have been here for 2 god awful years (purely because my hubby and I are both earning good money). When the job is done, we will leave. Without hesitation and without EVER looking back. So what's the deal? This is a filthy place, an aesthetic and creative black hole (you can't even get any talented creatives to come here), it has no style, no history, no legacy. No beauty, nothing to do, no great food to speak of (how can you compare Taiwanese with Thai, Malay, Indian??).

One of the things I like best about Taiwan is that people like you detest it so.

"… this is what will save the mountains and beaches from bloated German tourists! "

Yeah, those great beaches - like that unspoilt tourist haven - Penghu Island. I can’t believe I got suckered into going to the s&%thole. I believed the locals and the foreigners - white beaches, interesting towns. It should be used as a firing range. The rest of the country is not much better.

The reason people stay here? God knows. Show-me-de-moneeey.

quote:
Originally posted by Jolie: ...you can't even get any talented creatives to come here.

So we have to make do with talentless, uncreative moaners like you.

NFI - nice attitude. Please outline where - other than Penghu - you have been? CKS perhaps? Dont tell me you only ever leave Taiwan to get a plane out of Taiwan? Taiwans mountains ARE spectacular, and yes there are beaches to rival Thailand. They are devoid of the tourists and clean as a whistle. Get out and about - explore.

Nice beaches. Pfft. Have you been to Malaysia, Thailand, Vietnam, Australia? why can’t you all just face facts - it’s ugly. And expensive. Go ahead and stay here in your dim, overpriced, view-less pads - but don’t call it pretty.

And all those people who look so hard for an iota of beauty - I’ll save you the trouble. Give it up. Neither Penghu, nor the mountains, not Kenting with its concrete blocks and steel pipes IN the water are worth visiting.

The Portuguese were being sarcastic when they called it “Formosa”.

This lady’s attitude is soooooo negative that it makes this thread a complete turnoff to even warrant a response. Just wanted to say that.

Eeeeww…Jolie, I HOPE TO GOD you’re not American!!! Are you??? Please tell me you’re not!!

I agree. Let’s banish her to Penghu for 6 months!

Still it’s an open forum but she might want to address her comments to the black couch instead.

Ok - I pose the question to you as well Jolie - where HAVE you been in Taiwan?

AHA - so you admit Penghu is a hole. I am not American, Thrydrail, but are you having a tough time there? Or is your life so boring it makes you feel better to be online on a Taiwan forum?

YEARS of counselling can’t correct the black hole that is my Taipei experience.

How is this for a reflection of the ugliness of it all: Insurance companies here don’t “DO” home contents insurance. There are 15 different types of life insurance (cause this place is a death trap) but no home contents insurance because PEOPLE HAVE NOTHING OF BEAUTY IN THEIR HOME!

Pity the poor burglar here. Hmm, lets see - Hello Kitty, plastic plates, plastic cups, no, I think I’ll pass.

I think there is a certain attraction in Taiwan’s honesty. I mean that in stark contrast to Thailand, Malaysia, Vietnam, etc. Taiwan doesn’t have much of a tourist industry, nor much allure for international business. These characteristcs allow Taiwan to be a country made purely for itself, not the gratification of others.

I am busy… not much time to write, but you get the point.

quote:
Originally posted by 3q: Ok - I pose the question to you as well Jolie - where HAVE you been in Taiwan?

Probably nowhere but sitting on the crapper in her one bedroom shack. Hey, like Abracadabra said, it’s an open forum!!

… beaches as clean as a whistle. Yeah, sure. Nothing is as clean as a whistle in Taiwan, not even the whistles.

It’s amazing what a hornet’s nest people seem to stir up when someone tries to point out the facts.

Suggestion:

1. Turn around from computer/desk
  2. Walk to window
  3. Look outside (if view not completely obstructed by a)factory, b)other ugly building, or c)nuclear reactor
  4. Ask yourself “Is this a beautiful view?”
    5A. If answer is “no”, then cool,
    5B. If answer is “yes”, then jump from window - there is no hope for you.

Considering the entire city of Taipei is a giant crapper, hmm, yes, I guess that’s where I have been.

How sad is it that every second ad on TV is shot on that strip of grass between Tun Hua Rd because its the only place that looks like a garden? What does that say?

I started off with an honest question because I couldn’t understand all the people who stay here for years and years. Heck, even my Taiwanese friends are all trying to get out - the UK, the US, Australia.

quote:
Originally posted by thyrdrail: Eeeeww.....Jolie, I HOPE TO GOD you're not American!!!!!!!!! Are you??? Please tell me you're not!!

South African is my guess.

NFI - not the view is not pretty out my office window but what has that to do with the beach?

The facts are that there are lovely beaches here and the mountians are wonderful. I doubt you have been there.

Lets not argue over city vs country. Yes Taipei is a big ugly Asian city but there is so much more to a place than architecture. You are showing a great deal of disrespect to the people of this country when you shoot off like you both have.

Unfortunately I think Jolie is Australian!

quote:
Originally posted by Jolie: AHA - so you admit Penghu is a hole. I am not American, Thrydrail, but are you having a tough time there? Or is your life so boring it makes you feel better to be online on a Taiwan forum?

I just happen to enjoy forums in general, especially those in Asia. I like communicating with those who live there and learning from other people’s worldly experiences and knowledge. It’s apparent that you don’t offer any. Eventually I may even want to live there. Having lived in the States for quite a while, yes, I guess you can say I’m rather bored. Hope that answers your question.