Taiwan WHY questions?

Why do English-challenged, betel-chewing, brandy-swilling Taiwanese buisnessmen in their 50’s or 60’s think they have their fingers on the pulse of Western youth culture to the point they can design products, packaging or marketing campaigns to appeal to those consumers?

Any why, when those campaigns and products fail miserably, are they so surprised?

Who cares, its their company, if they want to run it into the ground that should be fine as long as they still pay your salary, right?

Yes, and yes. It just doesn’t deliver much in the way of job satisfaction. Anyone remember job satisfaction? About the only time I get any of that is teaching people to fly.

I just hope your avatar doesn’t in some way reflect your flying skills. :wink:

I don’t fly when I’m legless :wink:

Why are there so many women’s underwear stores on the streets of Taipei? Do they wear more underwear than other women or is there some other reason?

I didn’t think they were so many women’s underwear stores in Taiwan. Maybe you are a pervert with a fetish for women’s underwear? :stuck_out_tongue:

I haven’t noticed, but maybe it could be because there is so much markup on women’s underwear and Taiwanese women are born to shop.

I’ve found, well heard :blush: that Taiwanese women prefer to buy their laces, leathers, cruchlesses :shock: via the shopping channel, rather than buying in person on a busy road.

Why too so many Taiwanese men smoke?

[quote=“amos”]I’ve found, well heard :blush: that Taiwanese women prefer to buy their laces, leathers, cruchlesses :shock: via the shopping channel, rather than buying in person on a busy road.

Why too so many Taiwanese men smoke?[/quote]

Smoking is not as denigrated in this society as it is in others. Also there is a Japanese influence over this society and Japanese men love smoking. Cigarettes are cheap and if you get some sort of serious lung ailment, health care is cheap and if you need some new lungs, the Communist Chinese will sell sell you the lungs of the one of the prisoners that they killed today or they will kill one especially for you. All of this organ trade opened up after WTO.

WHY is Taiwanese television news such a load of garbage. Here in the Middle Kingdom (Zhongguo) the news is dead boring, but obviously the media is strictly controlled by teh government. I don’t think Taiwan’s TV news is boring, but most if it is not really news. A collection of stories on petty crimes and some footage of half naked women does not make news in most countries.

WHY?

Why do they show suicide on TV?

Because people like to watch that shit and nothing can put Taiwanese off their food.
Here’s my question.
Why, oh why, don’t gas stations have compressed air so I can pump up my tires?

The CPC station on the corner of Hoping b[/b] and Hsin Sheng b[/b] has compressed air.

A hat trick from three different realms:

Why are so many Taiwanese people courteous one-on-one, only to become complete arses in public situations?

Why do women who are of normal height (165cm or so) feel that they must weigh 42kg in order to be beautiful?

Why are thousand year old eggs considered such a delicacy?

[quote=“almas john”]
Why, oh why, don’t gas stations have compressed air so I can pump up my tires?[/quote]

Most motorcycle repair shops will let you use their compressed air at no charge.

Thanks Jeff,
I know scooter stores do it for free, but I would much rather do stuff like that myself.
Us Kiwis pride ourselves on DIY know-how, and that frontier independence is especially strong in my family. My parents, 62, are actually in two-thirds through building a house.
The blokes here are pathetic - can’t change a flat tire or do anything practical. Back home I used to brew beer - now that’s DIY that I really miss. Actually, Taiwan Draft Beer tastes a lot like the Coopers lager I used to brew.

They do in the UK. In fact news in the UK consists entirely of stories about the dull minutiae the Royal Family and stories about footballers.

In the States, petty crime is upstaged by copious amounts of violent crime and half-naked women on the news would be scandalous.

Why ask why when one can sit back and enjoy the oddities and the differences?

Or this will be merged with the Pet Peeves in Taiwanthread.

Uh…this came across as kind of a Moderator threat.
It’s not. Just a nudge to keep this thread from being a redundant Pet Peeves thing.
Trust me; I’m the ‘good cop’ here.
But if you cross me, I’ll set JeffG loose on ya.

Easy there Muffin! The topics that’ve been covered in this thread have nothing to do with pet peeves. Do you think suicide on tv is one of our pet peeves? The two topics are so completely not related.