Taiwan work for housing welfare program

In the US, thee is a debate about the debt ceiling and work for food stamps is included in that.

When I was in Taiwan (90s), a local explained to me that there was a work for housing program there.

If anyone is knowledgeable about this, I would appreciate the education.

Thanks in advance.

Are you looking for this kind of information?

https://pip.moi.gov.tw/Eng/Default.aspx

1 Like

Thank you. I will dig into it. Just trying to understand the welfare system in ROC.

Public Assistance Act

1 Like

I read through the highlights of that brochure. The ā€œrent and mangeā€ sub topic grabbed my eye, but did not pan out, already expecting a spelling error. Thank you for the second link.

Thank you again. Article 16-1 in the second document does address the basic issue, but I am trying to validate whether Taiwan had a specific work for public housing program in place in the past 25 years.

I think the term used was ā€œgong yuā€.

these laws might give you some ideas.

Public Housing Act

Housing Act

1 Like

Right now, this consists of NHI which is a lot stronger than in the US (basically medicare and medicaid which is limited to the seniors and poor people), also laobao and pension contributions which is very similar to workerā€™s comp and social security (I do not know what the difference is).

Taiwan doesnā€™t really have food stamp that I know of, but thereā€™s a ā€œlow incomeā€ and ā€œmedium low incomeā€ status that is means tested, hard to get, and very heavily dependent on your household registration. They might have similar benefit to US SNAP program. I think the benefit is lower NHI premium, and a monthly stipend.

There might be welfare for aboriginals. There are also public housing but I donā€™t know how it works or if itā€™s anything like section 8 (I am not clear what section 8 does either).

I think Taiwanese welfare is actually stronger than in the US but not as strong as say the EU. NHI in particular is much stronger than in the US, considering that pre NHI Taiwanā€™s healthcare is like the US. I canā€™t speak on pre NHI times because my family was covered under a military healthcare where we paid 10nt to go to a military hospital (like the tri service hospital)

1 Like

Thank you for your input, The ā€œgong yuā€ is what I am trying to get a grasp of. It was explained to me during my time on the ROC that people could live in govt housing if they did menial work, for example sweeping the walkways in govt parks? Is there creedence to this?

Iā€™m not sure. I think a lot of these gong yu were built hastily in the early days due to a housing shortage and so thatā€™s why they all looked like prison blocks. My grandparents lived in government housing though, basically housing made for military servicemen and their family.

1 Like

isnā€™t it åœ‹ę°‘ä½å®… in the past, and ē¤¾ęœƒä½å®… now?