Taiwan World Cup team?

Is Taiwan playing in the World Cup Football?
The reason I ask is because this morning I noticed Mc’Donald’s has collector pins for each countries team and “R.O.C. Taiwan” is one of them.

Nah, just keeps the locals interested!

In FIFA competitions (like the Asian World Cup Qualifiers) Taiwan plays as Chinese Taipei anyway, so R.O.C. Taiwan is wishful thinking on two counts. By the way, Chinese Taipei are currently ranked 157th out of 205 in the world and are sandwiched between European whipping boys San Marino and couldn’t-find-it-on-a-map-if-you-tried Kyrgyzstan.

Taffy, don’t you play in central midfield for Chinese Taipei?

Taffy, don’t you play in central midfield for Chinese Taipei?[/quote]

It has been known. I got the fast track to citizenship so they could make up a starting eleven who actually knew what a football was.

most likely an extra pin available in each non-participating country.

my student passed on a dutch one today. :discodance:

Which is probably higher than Canada.
Oh the shame! :blush:

Which is probably higher than Canada.
Oh the shame! :blush:[/quote]

Not a bit of it. Canada are waaay up there in 83rd. Which still puts you below Qatar, Cuba and the Democratic Republic of Congo. But it’s a wonder they play any football up there what with all the snow and seals. :wink:

Full FIFA rankings available here. Oh and I was wrong about Chinese Taipei - up to 156 in the latest version! Vertigo!

Holy crap! Norn Iron are ONLY 96th. I thought we’d be a lot nearer the bottom. I’m sure we didn’t score a single goal for like 2 years straight (till a few months ago).

Well, when so many contests end with a score of 1 - 0, it would appear, at least to an unfamiliar observer, that there isn’t much that separates the winners and losers in this game. :s Would it be accurate to say that the Norn Iron team lost quite a few close games?

Well, when so many contests end with a score of 1 - 0, it would appear, at least to an unfamiliar observer, that there isn’t much that separates the winners and losers in this game. :s Would it be accurate to say that the Norn Iron team lost quite a few close games?[/quote]

Erm yes… but losing is losing.

By the way, USA? FIFTH?? Am I missing something here?

Sadly, no.

Though this is the team that is still called Norn Iron 1-0 in the Guardian’s football bulletins, due to their famous recent victory over England.

You try playing all your qualifiers against Bermuda and the aforementioned Canada. David Healy would hit a hat-trick every game.

Well, when so many contests end with a score of 1 - 0, it would appear, at least to an unfamiliar observer, that there isn’t much that separates the winners and losers in this game. :s Would it be accurate to say that the Norn Iron team lost quite a few close games?[/quote]

1-0 does not reflect how close a game was. 7-0 yes, but 1-0 never. 1-0 could relect that the winning team simply couldn’t score more. Thats down to the strikers, not the opposition. Anyone see Kanu chip over an open net last season?

[Shameless Plug]

GO MEJICO!!! WOO!!! :bravo:

[/Shameless Plug]

Ok! well looks like my Taiwan Team badge is now a collectors item.
The bidding begins at 1,000 N.T. :slight_smile: