Taiwanese-American guy dating a local TW girl

Nowadays they trek to the nearest all you can eat buffet and back

1 Like

Twn, as your first post says, you were reared outside of Taiwan. That means outside of Taipei.

Being Taiwanese is an exclusive club. I, like you, am of Taiwanese descent. I speak fluent Mandarin. But I’m treated as a foreigner. I lived too much of my life outside of the island and I’ve come to accept that I will always be a foreigner.

I have 4-5 friends who were born IN TAIWAN and raised IN TAIWAN and studied abroad for about 25% of their lives. When they returned, they were labeled 華僑.

This girl sounds snobbish. To a snob, you’re not even 華僑. You’re 華遺 at best, a foreigner at worst.

You’re out of her league. She’s having fun with you.

I’ve been in your shoes before. I had a whirlwind romance with a Taiwanese girl. I gave her the key to my apartment, and then she deleted me on Facebook. I decided to move apartments instead of trying to explain to my landlord why I wanted to change the locks.

You sound even more loaded with cash than I was then. Be careful.

2 Likes

how can stereotypes help you?

2 Likes

they don’t like countrysiders. which is anyone outside of taipei. which is you. sorry bub, she doesn’t like you.

Wow! That’s the one. Seriously, nothing more intimate than someone dying hair.

1 Like

No no, you forgot the bubble tea store on the way back home.

1 Like

Not ‘boofies’? I have nothing to do with it!

I also wanted to add here that she has already requested a gift from me - a piece of jewelry. She was very specific with her request, in terms of color and material for an ankle bracelet. (shouldn’t be too expensive). I don’t know how she wouldn’t go out with me for a date at this point.

A gift is something you don’t request, it’s something you get as an appreciation!

2 Likes

hmmm.

This is probably not a good sign.

If you want to come to Taiwan, then think about things like how you’re going to support yourself and where you’re going to live. If it pans out with this girl, then fine. If not, there are several million other fish in the sea.

Yeah, I mean if you buy her jewelry, she basically owes you, right?

1 Like

Is this typical that someone would request a gift from you before you meet in-person? I thought it was a little odd, but perhaps it’s to show that I will care for her. She isn’t willing to just go out with any bozo. Perhaps Taiwanese girls think if you buy something for her, it’s an investment in the relationship.

Any ideas on a first date for a Taipei City girl with high expectations on using the best.

Obviously she is!

2 Likes

Does she want you to send it to her, or give it to her in person? If it’s the former, this is a pretty big red flag. I could be wrong, but it sounds to me like you are being played. It’s not uncommon for entitled girls here to demand gifts from their boyfriends, but not from men they haven’t even met yet.

1 Like

What Dr. Milker said. Doing bizarre and/or suspicious things might just be a culture difference … or it might be bizarre and suspicious.

No.

Look, whatever her culture might be, don’t forget she’s also a human being, and she does things for ordinary human reasons.

1 Like

There actually are women here who think that way. You have to spend money on them to prove that you’re serious. You also get the situation where guys demand their gifts back when girls break up with them. Yeah, it’s pretty bizarre. Fortunately, there are also plenty of people who don’t have such transactional views about relationships…

1 Like

Oh, I’m not saying they don’t exist. But I suspect they do this sort of thing for the same reason American or French or Nigerian women do it: because they can. Of course they might justify it to themselves with more high-minded motives.

1 Like

Yeah, I guess what I meant to say is that it’s much more common here than in the West, and to some extent considered acceptable.

wow, glad I’ve never met one. Ordinary scammers are easier to cope with.

I’ve met a few, but in the words of the OP, I “rooted them out” quickly.

1 Like