Taiwanese and alcohol

Based on a paltry handful of data points, I have had the temerity to formulate a hypothesis. I’m wondering if there’s any truth to it.

First, a general observation about drunks. There are two types of drunks: those who have problems because they drink and those who drink because they have problems. In darkest Massachusetts, lots of people have problems because they drink.

In Taiwan, I think it’s the opposite. People turn to drink because their lives are already falling apart. It seems to be family problems. I don’t see all that many drunks around in Taiwan. The few that I encounter, they bitch about the fam. I’m not talking about social drinking. I’m talking about stinking, sprawled on the pavement drunk. Real drunk.

Thoughts?

[quote=“rowland”] I’m talking about stinking, sprawled on the pavement drunk. Real drunk.

Thoughts?[/quote]

http://www.atimes.com/atimes/China_Business/MI21Cb01.html

Compared to North America there are not many drunks sprawled on the pavement. That being said I do think there is a lot of alcoholism going on. Taiwan is the world’s fifth largest export market for scotch. That somehow has to affect a lot of livers and lives. Considering this, the prevalence of drunk driving does not surprise me at all (though that may change due to the new stricter laws).

Like hsinhai said, I don’t see too many drunks on the street. (and rarely any bums begging too), but the sexy KTVs still run a good business from what I see every weekend, as well as all the bars.

One out of three Asian people have a genetic intolerance to alcohol. I read it on Wiki.

Went to the Taiwan Beer Fest at Banchiao some years ago. A lot of politicians hawking beer. You don’t see that in the USA.

[quote=“rowland”]Based on a paltry handful of data points, I have had the temerity to formulate a hypothesis. I’m wondering if there’s any truth to it.

First, a general observation about drunks. There are two types of drunks: those who have problems because they drink and those who drink because they have problems. In darkest Massachusetts, lots of people have problems because they drink.

In Taiwan, I think it’s the opposite. People turn to drink because their lives are already falling apart. It seems to be family problems. I don’t see all that many drunks around in Taiwan. The few that I encounter, they bitch about the fam. I’m not talking about social drinking. I’m talking about stinking, sprawled on the pavement drunk. Real drunk.

Thoughts?[/quote]
Given that there are many more types of drunk than a mere two, it would seem that your hypothesis is rather limited in scope.
As the Great Drunk, Shir Malcolm Lowry once wrote:
“The real cause of alcoholism is the complete baffling sterility of existence as sold to you.”
That cause manifests itself in a myriad of differing types of drunks.
But who has the patience to count that high, when there are bevvies to be quaffed?
:scooby:

are they drunks… or are they people that happened to have a good time and got drunk on the night/day that you happened to have crossed paths with them?
A drunk is someone who you constantly see inebriated - every single day. I dont really see this in my neighborhood. But I can spot a “drunk” actor a mile away… having a good or terrible time and being loud.

[quote=“downtownandrew”]are they drunks… or are they people that happened to have a good time and got drunk on the night/day that you happened to have crossed paths with them?
A drunk is someone who you constantly see inebriated - every single day. I don’t really see this in my neighborhood. But I can spot a “drunk” actor a mile away… having a good or terrible time and being loud.[/quote]

I define a drunk as someone who can’t handle his booze, but drinks anyway. I can conceive of some kid getting sloppy drunk once, and I just happen to run into him that one time. The laws of probability are against it.

Someone who is drunk every single day is a drunkard. A drunk has a drinking problem; a drunkard has a much worse drinking problem. It’s purely a difference of degree.

Then there are functional alcoholics. It’s only a matter of time before they reach the point where they can’t hide it anymore. Until then, I don’t consider them drunks, merely drunks in the making.

Surely there are many more drunks than that.
All types of them, in point of fact.
I won’t say clan, but I might say clique.
Y’ken?

Prolly cos they’re busy flying in Cocaine by the ton.

I like how if I buy 2 beers instead of just one at 7-11, I can save a few NT.

Some people get drunk simply because it’s fun. Give piss a chance!