Taiwanese are so obsessed

… with eating and are so afraid about starving to death that they eat anywhere anytime …
This afternoon 1:30 PM I went to have a haircut and the two women next to me were having their beefnoodles while being permed or had a hair coloring … can’t they eat before they come or after they leave?
Anyways, I have seen Taiwanese eating in the strangest places since I came to Taiwan 11 years ago … if they could and someone would invent a tool to be able to eat noodles or fried rice whilst driving a scooter they would do so …

Well, I have seen scooter passengers eating noodles.

I have seen scooter passengers MAKING noodles.

I was riding behind a guy just yesterday that was eating his lunch in the form of a Kebab like meal with one hand whilst operating the accelerator with the other. Slightly wobbly he was too which was the cause of my interest. It seems there is no limit to local stupidity!

[quote=“Belgian Pie”]… with eating and are so afraid about starving to death that they eat anywhere anytime …
This afternoon 1:30 PM I went to have a haircut and the two women next to me were having their beefnoodles while being permed or had a hair coloring … can’t they eat before they come or after they leave?
…[/quote]

You know, some of those hair treatments can take as long as three hours! But, of course, they should have been able to grab a bite before they went. They wouldn’t have starved in three hours, but it kills the experience a bit to be looking forward to getting out of there so you can eat. For a girl, getting your hair done is not simply a chore to check off the list, it’s a social event, so it’s kinda understandable that there might be food involved, as there is food involved with any other social event in Taiwan.

Next time I go I take a bucket of KFC’s … or something really smelly and greasy … oh, KFC is smelly and greasy … :wink:

I was driving behind some prat the other day who was all over the road. Stopped next to him at the traffic light (yes, he did actually stop!) and there he was, busy eating his bian dang blissfully unaware of anything else but his fucking lunchbox. :smiley:

I sometimes wish I have the energy to say something … like right in his face… something like “stop being such an ignorant arse!!”

Where’s MONSTER if you need him? :slight_smile:

:laughing: Reminds me of my favorite scene in the Taiwanese movie “Taxi driver” -which they were playing last night, by the way. There is this veteran taxi driver eating his biengtang while driving -using his elbows to steer- going through Taipei’s busiest streets while construction of the MRT was going on.

He was upset beacuse the young couple in the backseat wouldn’t talk. Gee, wonder why.

Never thought someone would attempt it in real life. :notworthy:

I KNEW scooter mufflers did more than give “tattoos” :laughing:

I still can remember my early days in Taiwan, first half of the 90’s last century … taking the bus from Sansia to Taipei … people were always eating something and the whole vehicle would stink and be full of empty food containers …

“If you didn’t care what happened to me,
And I didn’t care for you,
We would zig zag our way through the boredom and pain
Occasionally glancing up through the rain.
Wondering which of the buggars to blame
And watching for pigs on the wing.”

R. WATERS

I can almost understand someone eating with ONE HAND while driving, but I have seen someone eating noodles (the one’s that come in a bowl of watery stuff). It was ridiculous. Right hand with the chopsticks, left hand holding the bowl and the steering wheel at the same time.

Last time I took my son to get a hair cut, Lao Mama comes walking through the shop with her bowl of rice talking to one of her employees with a wad of rice hanging out of her mouth. And I’m in Houston! :astonished:

It ain’t just Taiwan. Chomping drivers beware!

slashfood.com/2006/08/21/eat … rash-risk/

LOL

We call it :notworthy:
HOLY HOLY
:notworthy: (lunch hour). There seems to be an unspoken belief that if one doesn’t eat between 11:30am and 1pm, some terrible death (or other yucky twist of fate) will befall one.

It’s never been proven, because EVERYONE eats then; nobody actually knows the specific fate of the infidels who dare to fast during that time. But it’s probably really nasty. Those who weren’t born here seem to be immune, with a few exceptions.

Making noodles on a scooter?! I NEED to see a picture of that one. :bravo:

In defense of the woman at the hair salon, some of us girls have to be there ALL FREAKING DAY!!
My hair usually takes around 5 or 6 hours.
You’re going to get hungry. And bored. And annoyed.
It sucks.

Not a driving story, but when I went to the Beastie Boys concert with a bunch of Taiwanese friends, we stopped off and got a bunch of lunch boxes first. They then got us all the way to the front of the stage, against the barrier. Everybody then squatted in a circle eating the lunch boxes. Which was actually a good thing, because the concert kind of sucked anyways.

[quote=“SuchAFob”]…
My hair usually takes around 5 or 6 hours.

It sucks.[/quote]

Get rid of the hair … bold is beautiful … :wink: :smiley:

I usually eat pizza and drive everytime I go to Costco… but then again… I have 2 extra helping hands serving the pizza and the drink to my mouth… now, if I was alone… just looking at the pizza would be already considered too much for me, cause, hey, you know, I’m driving in TW…

… with fireworks … I guess that there must be a lot of bad spirits roaming Taiwan as people here ignite fireworks day and night any time, they don’t care that normal people in a normal country try to get some healthy bed rest now and than … or is it just selfishness, ignorance and lack of respect, common sense that makes them do what they do …

In the Netherlands I saw on TV, police will give you a fine of about 3,000NT$ when they catch you setting off fireworks outside the allowed hours on New Years eve, from 12:00PM to 2:00AM … Mostly to prevent people getting hurt and noise pollution …

It’s about time that laws are being enforced here …