Taiwanese Citizenship and Renunciation II

[quote=“StevenCrook”][quote=“Omniloquacious”][color=#0000FF][i]Mod’s note: Part one of this discussion is [url=Taiwanese Citizenship and Renunciation
If I take up this matter again (as I strongly intend to, if I can find the time to attend to it)…[/quote]

Omni, you have my full support.

I know an individual here in Taiwan who arrived as a child from Japan, and has successfully retained their Japanese citizenship while gaining ROC nationality.[/quote]
AFAIK Japan, and countries like it, are an exception. If you can prove that for some reason you are unable to renounce then that is waived.
The entire thing is a bit of a balls up, because as a born South African I technically can’t renounce citizenship. Sure, they gave me a renunciation certificate, but it clearly states on there that being born there I retain Permanent Residence in the Republic and can resume at any time (including my son, who lost his along with me being under 18).
So, other than the mafan of waiting 42 weeks for my renunciation certificate and the expenses involved in getting it, it was really a pointless exercise. The only people, AFAIK, that are really fucked by the whole process are Americans and possibly Canadians, who can’t resume. And where’s the benefit of excluding that particular group (because that’s what it really comes down to), i.e. North Americans, from the naturalization table? And once a citizen you’re free in any case to apply for any other citizenship, or to resume (if able) in any case.
So, in summary, the only people that get screwed are North Americans, it’s just mafan for everyone else, and as a citizen you can gain any number of other nationalities, so what’s the difference in the long run? Not really sure why the government is so persistent in this.

IMVHO, if they keep the renunciation article, then all Taiwanese who have attained another country’s nationality should have to choose, or at the very least (if they are non-resident) lose HHR, their ID Card (and if they still hold a passport, have no ID number in it, like a TARC Taiwan passport) and their voting rights. But that too would be ridiculous, so just waive the bloody renunciation already!

Omni, I would suggest, in interests of greater assimilation, that you also add other requirements like:

1. A much more difficult Immigration exam, to separate the wheat from the chaff, so to speak. Make the exam written and oral, as the written exam is too easily hacked.
  2. Military service, alternative service or community service (working at NIA branches, HHR offices, District Offices, the GIO, the FAP and the like) should be absolutely compulsory, and in the case of married people who can’t afford a year off to bugger around with 22 year olds, a certain number of hours should need to be fulfilled on weekends, for example. If over 36, like myself, alternative service should be done as described above. I would be totally willing to take the time to serve with the local Coast Guard in Anping.

Can’t think of anything else at this time, but I just feel uncomfortable with the idea of citizenship being conferred as easily as an APRC. And I don’t think renunciation is the key here.

Do you know how the person pulled this off? Is there some loophole in the law that we haven’t noticed?[/quote]
See what I wrote above.