Taiwanese Citizenship and Renunciation

The Republic of China still not reciprocating marriage and/or birth citizenship options towards US citizens is linconceivable. It’s linsane really that a nation would allow someone to be married or born here and treat them like a linadequate member of society. I’m always reminded of my country’s constitution and the linclusion of the unprejudiced 14th amendment. It was passed in 1868, 3 years after Lincoln was killed.

I suppose it’s a bit linjudicious to expect any better from China, aye?

This sort of linadequte and lintolerable government might even linspire a young couple to seek citizenship in a better country.

T

Why on earth would anyone want to renounce a relatively good-quality citizenship like British or Australian in exchange for one in a tiny island non-nation that the mainland Chinese are going to assimilate in a few years? Do you guys really want to be stuck in Taiwan S.A.R.? Will China even allow you to stay after they take over?

Hi Llary

Why would I ever tolerate being treated as a second class citizen when it comes to credit. Credit makes the world go round and if banks only want to give you secured lending products, why would I want it when I have the cash. In a lot of cases, the sheer fact that you look like a foreigner, citizen or not, is enough for them to say it’s not possible.

And yes, here in Canada the government notifies the banks when you become a non citizen or non resident, and banks are not interested in having someone who doesnt live in the country having access to unsecured credit. Can’t say that I blame them either.

As far as perks, there is nothing that citizenship offers me there that I really care about. I did look into it at one point out of interest, but definately not worth losing the Canadian one over, one that allows me visa free travel to almost everywhere in the world.

That said, if getting said citizenship means a lot to you, I am happy that it worked out for you , but that I understand how this rule would turn off others from applying for it.

Lastly, everyone that moves to another country does it out of self interest. There is no altruistic love of country if you really think about it. I am loyal to what will benefit me, my loyalties do not lie toward a piece of land, no matter where in the world it is.

To cyborg

I think the Taiwanese that move overseas would mind if they had to renounce, but they would do it because the economic benefits may be better for them. In most cases, going from Australia, Canada, USA etc to Taiwan is actually a decrease in pay or career for most people.

I personally couldn’t care less if people have 5 citizenships, the only caveat being that if you don’t reside in the country, you can’t get benefits from them or call on them for help if you get in trouble.

I always wondered about that. Nothing to stop China from putting everyone on a plane out if they wanted, although I would hope not.

So so far the best argument for renunciation is ‘you should do it cause I did it’ and ‘a handful of other countries requires it too’. Very convincing.

The banks have different rules for foreigners and non-residents, once they find out you are non resident they can close your account. This is not really the main issue though, there is absolutely no reason to discriminate against ‘foreign’ born immigrants in this manner but allow locally born Taiwanese to hold two passports.
How many of the ROC citizens were ‘foreign’ born in mainland China eh? But I bet you a tonne of those old timers are dual passport holders too.
It’s a bullsnit rule.

[quote=“headhonchoII”]So so far the best argument for renunciation is ‘you should do it cause I did it’ and ‘a handful of other countries requires it too’. Very convincing.

[/quote]

The government plays tit for tat.

But but but, Saudi requires it… ignoring the fact that they aren’t exactly the bastion of democracy either.

[quote=“dan2006”][quote=“headhonchoII”]So so far the best argument for renunciation is ‘you should do it cause I did it’ and ‘a handful of other countries requires it too’. Very convincing.

[/quote]

The government plays tit for tat.

But but but, Saudi requires it… ignoring the fact that they aren’t exactly the bastion of democracy either.[/quote]
I wonder how many Taiwanese have sought Saudi citizenship in, say, the last sixty-three years. :unamused:

[quote=“Mucha Man”][quote=“cyborg_ninja”][quote=“Confuzius”][quote=“cyborg_ninja”]
I think most countries should follow Taiwan’s lead and force renunciation of citizenship(s) to see if people truly want to become a citizen of a country. Weeds out all of those who want to attain citizenship for benefits.[/quote]

Then it would weed out EVERYONE since everyone is doing it for benefits. You don’t do something like that if its not going to benefit you (unless you have low self esteem and just want to do stuff to yourself that is UNbeneficial).[/quote]

I was more thinking of NHI and Welfare.[/quote]

Yes, the Canadians, Australian, Norwegians, Swedes, etc etc are highly motivated by the generous social benefits available in Taiwan compared to their homeland. :unamused:[/quote]

I was saying other countries should follow Taiwan’s lead. Australia’s got enough people coming in soaking up our social system. It’s bad enough that bogans use their centrelink money to go on vacation, adding more to the system will just make it worst.

Yeah and now America is bitching about a anchor baby issue. I know lots of people who flew to the US and had their kid so their kids can have a US passport. The US should repeal that amendment as it does not really apply to the modern day, it was only there to allow slaves born in the US to acquire citizenship to defeat the grandfather clause.

Starting a business for one. I guess its only expats that fear the day the Chinese are gonna come kill everyone, nobody cares about “what ifs” anymore. That’s like saying no one should immigrate to the US during the cold war coz of russian nukes! But now for Aussies, you can get that shit back without an issue!

They notify the banks so they can tax you on high marginal interests. The banks WILL NOT CANCEL YOUR ACCOUNTS, they are not allow to remove accounts without your authorization in the first place. You do realize even non-citizens can have a Canadian bank account right?

[quote=“dan2006”]To cyborg

I think the Taiwanese that move overseas would mind if they had to renounce, but they would do it because the economic benefits may be better for them. In most cases, going from Australia, Canada, USA etc to Taiwan is actually a decrease in pay or career for most people.

I personally couldn’t care less if people have 5 citizenships, the only caveat being that if you don’t reside in the country, you can’t get benefits from them or call on them for help if you get in trouble.[/quote]

I had a friend who had HK, Taiwan, US and Canadian citizenship (Dad had HK/Taiwan cit, born in US, had family sponsor citizenship in Canada) and apparently (his words) the Canadian gov terminated his Canadian citizenship since he had 3 other citizenship as they asked him to renounce one other citizenship and he refused.

The passport you enter a country on, is the passport you’re a legal citizen of until master nationality rule apply. e.g. if you’re an Aussie-Taiwan dual national and go to China on a Taibozeng, PRC gov arrests you Aussie gov can’t provide assistance since you didn’t enter PRC on your Australian passport.

[quote=“headhonchoII”]How many of the ROC citizens were ‘foreign’ born in mainland China eh? But I bet you a tonne of those old timers are dual passport holders too.
It’s a bullsnit rule.[/quote]

No they’re only ROC passport holders since ROC was established in the mainland, but retreated to Taiwan. PRC does not allow Dual Nationality in the first place.

And you believe that the laws of the PRC are a good model for Taiwan to emulate?

Can any of you who support renunciation please furnish a solid, concrete reason why it is beneficial to Taiwan?

And you believe that the laws of the PRC are a good model for Taiwan to emulate?

Can any of you who support renunciation please furnish a solid, concrete reason why it is beneficial to Taiwan?[/quote]

Lot’s of western countries don’t allow dual nationality, Germany for one.

It just proves if you REALLY want to become a citizen of a country instead of half-assing it.

Can any of you who support renunciation please furnish a solid, concrete reason why it is beneficial to Taiwan?[/quote]

It just proves if you REALLY want to become a citizen of a country instead of half-assing it.[/quote]

In Europe, the trend is toward allowing dual citizenship. Even Denmark is mulling changing the nationality law.

It just proves if you REALLY want to become a citizen of a country instead of half-assing it.[/quote]

And a person who has met, and proven he has met, the already very strict requirements for citizenship (long-term unbroken residence, financial means, proficiency in local language, clean police records, clean bill of health, etc., etc.) may be “half-assing” it how and why?

I have supported not requiring to renounce. Sure it would make it all the easier and convenient for some, but you also need to remember that many foreign nationals that become ROC nationals lost their foreign citizenship in anycase. That was the case for me whether or not I had to renounce I still lost my Australian Citizenship when I applied.
( Laws are different now though for Australians since 2004 )

The issue is how can we get the government here to consider a change to the law that seems most unlikely to happen.

And a person who has met, and proven he has met, the already very strict requirements for citizenship (long-term unbroken residence, financial means, proficiency in local language, clean police records, clean bill of health, etc., etc.) may be “half-assing” it how and why?[/quote]

If you meet all that and really want to become Taiwanese, I don’t think renunciation would be such a big issue.

Sheesh its not about a passport ffs. Its about ones allegience to the country of one’s citizenship.

Sat TV -
If that were the case, what is your comment on the Taiwan FAO, or whoever it is, trying to give a Taiwan citizenship to Jeremy Lin now that he is so large in the publics’ eye?

Just curious…

He has not sought it out and appears to be most happy with his U.S.A. citizenship. Is this merely opportunistic grand-standing by the Taiwan gov’t?

(which, of course, it is)

Sat TV -
If that were the case, what is your comment on the Taiwan FAO, or whoever it is, trying to give a Taiwan citizenship to Jeremy Lin now that he is so large in the publics’ eye?

Just curious…

He has not sought it out and appears to be most happy with his U.S.A. citizenship. Is this merely opportunistic grand-standing by the Taiwan gov’t?

(which, of course, it is)[/quote]

He can apply by citizenship through decent, which means he won’t have to renounce his USA citizenship.

Why dont you ask the 70,000 or so who have done so. Llary and I both renonced because we want to live here with all the benefits and obligations that come along with ROC Nationality. Yes I am treated just the same in China as any other ROC National. Please let us know when China takes over.

A British or Australian passport is of no use to me in Taiwan.

[quote=“dan2006”] In a lot of cases, the sheer fact that you look like a foreigner, citizen or not, is enough for them to say it’s not possible.

And yes, here in Canada the government notifies the banks when you become a non citizen or non resident, and banks are not interested in having someone who doesnt live in the country having access to unsecured credit. Can’t say that I blame them either. [/quote]

Thats is completely untrue. Please back up this claim where a citizen here has been refused finances because they look like a foreigner.

Also when I got my first ARC here I filed a last tax resturn in Australia and my banks changed my status to a non resident account. Different taxes apply. I still have unsecured credit from my bank in Australia. They dont go around cancelling your account. I also know foreiengers who kept there accounts in Canada as non residents living outside of Canada.