Taiwanese Citizenship and Renunciation

I’ve been arguing this point for decades on this forum but no I read about “reciprocity” lol
No country has ever done reciprocity with another country over citizenship laws.

I believe I read somewhere that people born to an ROC parent who held a valid HH at time of birth and have Taiwan national passports will be able get ID card and HH in new updates to the laws not yet passed. Will be good for my son. Grandkids will be not helped though.

1 Like

just curious. is it still so? Australian with dual nationality born overseas to Australian parent will lose their citizenship if the parent renounce Australian citizenship?

btw, in some countries, people automatically lose their nationality if they get another citizenship, and some people somehow don’t know the rule, so unintentionally lose their original nationality. Roc’s rule prevents that unfortunate situation, at least.

I believe so you could ask Comfy123 as he will soon do so. But in any case his daughter can resume at same time he does. Took me about 4 months to resume but could have been faster as I did not have my Taiwan police check when I applied sent that in later. Comfy123 can be safe in the knowledge that he can resume.

1 Like

In this day and age it’s not hard to check is it. Many people who come from countries that do not allow dual citizenship know this already. As do people who come from countries that do not allow you to renounce.

Yes it is still the case. But it depends on the reason why you renounced. If you do so because you simply hate Australia… then they will give you and your child the middle finger. If the purpose is different then you can request that they don’t. (However… I cannot yet speak from experience but only from what they have told me)

However… my daughter has 4 nationalities and can resume her Australian citizenship at a later date anyway…

4 Likes

wow man

1 Like

I read a document on renunciation of Australian citizenship and found it is only for minors under 18, which can be reasonable. I imagined an adult Australian born overseas living in Australia could lose their citizenship due to their parent’s renunciation.

Erh no. Once people are adults they are not affected by their parents decisions.

1 Like

I agree with you. My daughter is a Taiwanese national too (since 2021), but she can’t gain citizenship until she renounces, even though she can’t.

The law is unequal even for citizens because it differentiates between a naturalized citizen vs a citizen by birth.

Taiwanese citizens can get Taiwanese citizenship for their children regardless of how many passports they hold. But I can’t do the same, even though I am also a citizen.

What purpose does it serve to force infants and toddlers to renounce their original citizenship? They don’t even know what citizenship or allegiance to a country means.

10 Likes

Why would the Australian government care whether your son had ROC citizenship or not? Why would he become stateless? You were renouncing your Australian citizenship, not your son’s.

Because when the parent that the child got Australian citizenship from renounces… it is taken from the child too. However… they cannot leave the child stateless…

Yeah. Why? Doesn’t make sense to me.

Because it comes from a time when Australians were only allowed one nationality. However from what I heard it is rarely enforced nowadays

2 Likes

what I read says they consider to revoke kids’ citizenship, or something like that.

Why don’t you read the whole thread where it is clearly explained above?

Write to Immigration Australia first and ask. Better to be sure as children being born outside of Australia changes things when a parent renounces.

1 Like

I did, before making the post. Still doesn’t answer the question, why take citizenship away from a child because their parent is renouncing?

Because if not born in Australia that is the law. Does that help? So if a child gets citizenship by descent from being born outside of Australia and I renounce outside of Australia his citizenship is tied to mine as the parent. This is common with many countries.

Also at the time of my naturalization Australia did not allow dual citizenship.

But they get citizenship by virtue of being born to a person with citizenship. Once they’re already born, that’s it, they are citizens. I don’t understand why should that citizenship be tied to your parent(s)’ citizenship until you are 18 just because you were born outside of Australia or whatever country. If it must be so, why does turning 18 change this? Their Australian citizenship certificate if they get one is going to have ‘by descent’ on it whether its issued before their 18th birthday or on/after their 18th birthday. Citizenship status should be intrinsically tied to a person indefinitely except for cases of fraud when naturalizing or terrorism offenses. I understand that a parent or guardian can make the decision to naturalize or renounce a minor’s nationality but I can’t understand why a government can make the decision to take away a minor’s nationality based on their parent’s decision to renounce their own, but not their child’s, nationality.