Taiwanese citizenship via marriage

So do you have to stay 3 years or 5 years? Some people here seem to say 5 years, a few people say 3 years and the websites I’ve seen say 3 years. Like this one iff.npa.gov.tw/enfront/life.php?tr_id=9&id=465

So is 3 years correct?

[quote=“Kahr”]So do you have to stay 3 years or 5 years? Some people here seem to say 5 years, a few people say 3 years and the websites I’ve seen say 3 years. Like this one iff.npa.gov.tw/enfront/life.php?tr_id=9&id=465

So is 3 years correct?[/quote] If you’re ethnically white I believe it’s still 5 years. It was 7 when I applied.

It’s currently 3 years if based on marriage, 5 years if based on residency.

Thanks. Those were the answers I was expecting :wink:

Be careful. You have to renounce your original citizenship in order to become a full Taiwan national. I have done that.

If you marry a local and receive “permanent residence”, still your mobile phone number, mortgage, credit card, etc, should use your spouse’s name. If you don’t have a Taiwan ID card, you’re still a foreigner in the eyes of the government. If your marriage doesn’t work out, you’re back to zero.

[quote=“coolingtower”]Be careful. You have to renounce your original citizenship in order to become a full Taiwan national. I have done that.

If you marry a local and receive “permanent residence”, still your mobile phone number, mortgage, credit card, etc, should use your spouse’s name. If you don’t have a Taiwan ID card, you’re still a foreigner in the eyes of the government. If your marriage doesn’t work out, you’re back to zero.[/quote]

Unless your like Cooling Tower who’s not married. Anybody want to marry a white ROC national male so they can stay in Taiwan forever? :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

What’s it worth CT?

[quote=“Satellite TV”]

Unless your like Cooling Tower who’s not married. Anybody want to marry a white ROC national male so they can stay in Taiwan forever? :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

What’s it worth CT?[/quote]

Hehe, that would be super funny. Get my whitey Taiwanese husband to sign for my 'phone contract!

I’m happy that you get the full citizenship coolingtower. :bravo: Hope you don’t have any hard time to deal with that status.

Cos recently, the supreme court (maybe this is not the correct translation)(大法官釋憲) made a judge. The citizen who is from mainland and get the citizenship via marriage cannot work as a government emplyee is not against the equal act in the constitution. Because the government have to consider their loyalty. Even they already get the full citizenship for nine years. (They can become government employees after ten years.)

That is a bull shit judgement. Lots and lots of law scholars think that is discrimination. I do, too. :fume: I think in some way, Taiwan is a racism country. But not to white people, you know. I feel so sad.

I’m not sure what the court said, but the Nationality Act stipulates that naturalized ROC citizens may not take a number of government jobs or elected positions for 10 years, so it is not specific to Mainland Chinese (except to the extent on whether one considers Mainland China a foreign country or not). In addition, ROC citizens who also hold foreign citizenship are not permitted to hold a number of government jobs or elected positions either unless they renounce the foreign citizenship. So it looks to me not to be based on race but based on current or former foreign citizenship.

well, i don’t know the very detail. but i believe that the mainland wife already renounced the China citizenship. What are be argued is that if the government give you the full citizenship and the person only has Taiwan citizenship, what’s the point to make s/he different from the citizen born in Taiwan? That classifies the citizen, and the scholars think it’s not right. It also means that you don’t really get the full citizenship in this 10 years. What kind of citizen is in this ten year? Second class citizen? They already spend so much time to get the citizenship, but the government still classify them. It’s unfair. Or just don’t call it citizenship.
I don’t know is caucassion interested in being government emplyee or it’s too hard for them to pass the exam. But that mainlander passed the exam and prepared to go to work then the government found she is not allowed. This put her in an awkward situ. Why let her sit in the exam?
Anyway, the point is if one get the citizenship, s/he should be treat equal as the citizen born here immediately.

[quote=“DoD”]I’m happy that you get the full citizenship coolingtower. :bravo: Hope you don’t have any hard time to deal with that status.

Cos recently, the supreme court (maybe this is not the correct translation)(大法官釋憲) made a judge. The citizen who is from mainland and get the citizenship via marriage cannot work as a government emplyee is not against the equal act in the constitution. Because the government have to consider their loyalty. Even they already get the full citizenship for nine years. (They can become government employees after ten years.)

That is a bull shit judgement. Lots and lots of law scholars think that is discrimination. I do, too. :fume: I think in some way, Taiwan is a racism country. But not to white people, you know. I feel so sad.[/quote]

This also applies to many government employees, police and military people are not allowed to visit the mainland or they risk losing thier position.
I was working for the Taiwan Air Force through a US government contract and the same restriction applied to us too.

“Chinese” people born elsewhere (Malaysia, Indonesia, etc.) are able to get an ID card if they can prove their parents (or perhaps other relatives) were born in Taiwan. I’m not sure about the China-born discrimination. I have a friend who was born in Indonesia and came here after high school. She was able to get an ID card in only a couple of years.

On Saturdays, I teach English classes. It’s in a fishing village; it looks like a pretty poor area. About half of my students’ mothers are from China. I can find more details this coming Saturday. I want to know how they enter China–as a Taiwanese (immigrant) or as some kind of Chinese. Many of the Taiwanese-family girls wear pink shirts every day “because Grandma dictated so.” Driving through that area is just like going anywhere else. Spending a lot of time there, though, is like going back in time.

Every time the kids have a break from school, the mothers use hubby’s money to fly back to China and take the kids with them. (They leave the evening the kids finish school and come back the evening before they start again.) One mother’s husband’s job got moved to China. She was here and he was there. She got sick of it and took her child out of school and moved back to China. It’s as if they don’t really like being here–they just want the money. They don’t seem to care about the childrens’ education–just take them out of school at any time. That’s only one example.

Does this justify leaving them out of government positions? This whole thing is very difficult. Racial discrimination isn’t necessarily the issue for the Chinese brides. It’s “previous nationality discrimination”. As for racial discrimination in general, it still exists. I have a buddy who is black and grew up in Indiana–one state away from where I grew up in Ohio. He went to a Catholic high school and speaks perfect English (or maybe “white people’s” English. He doesn’t speak Ebony or “street language”: “Y’know dat tawking like da street people–dat street sayound.”) He’s been in Tainan for many years. Recently, he wanted to change jobs and could NOT find anybody that would accept him. Too many “better” white alternatives. Now, he’s moved to some town in TaiZhong Xian, where he could find work. Horrible.

If SatelliteTV or I tried to get a government position, we would probably be commended for doing so. If an Indonesian immigrant tried to do the same, they would probably be put to the wayside.

This is a "Taiwanese people who are ‘Chinese’ " problem:
-Chinese person who is a native Eng. speaker? #1
-White person? Good, because they can make us a lot of money.
-Black person? Avoid if possible, regardless of English ability.
-Thailand, Philippines, Indonesia, Taiwan Aboriginal, etc? “We’re better than they are.”

It doesn’t surprise me that those women were forbidden government positions. The big issue is: was forbidding them OK on paper?

I once applied for a government job and was turned down despite a high score on the translation test because the position was restricted to foreign passport holders. Just FYI.

“Restricted TO foreign passport holders”? So that means that because you’re Taiwanese you were refused the job? That’s annoying, but you must have been a teeny bit proud, though.

Refusing a white guy a “foreigner” position because he has a Taiwan passport seems to indicate that the government is doing things by the books. I guess if we wanted to dissect the problem with the Chinese bride being refused the position, we would need more details…

[quote=“coolingtower”]“Restricted TO foreign passport holders”? So that means that because you’re Taiwanese you were refused the job? That’s annoying, but you must have been a teeny bit proud, though.

Refusing a white guy a “foreigner” position because he has a Taiwan passport seems to indicate that the government is doing things by the books. I guess if we wanted to dissect the problem with the Chinese bride being refused the position, we would need more details…[/quote]

It’s not just a Chinese bride thing, certain government officals, including those BORN in
Taiwan, are not allowed to have visited the Mainland, or they will lose their positions.

I used to work on a government contract through the US military, and I wasn’t allowed to visit the Mainland either. Well, actually nobody would of stopped me, but I would have lost my job after returning.

Ahh, the irony of being a white Taiwanese without a foreign passport … gotta love it. :smiley: :smiley:

But the position was only open to forengenrs so as you’re not can’t really complain about it. I’ve nearly done my ten years so soon I can run fore Taipei Mayor, nah maybe president of the country that would be better :smiley:

There was an editorial regarding the judgment in today’s Taipei Times: Immigrants cannot be denied rights

(I assume they meant ‘should not’ instead of ‘cannot’ since the law and the ruling both show that they can be denied rights.)

The article references “Article 21 of the Cross Strait Relations Act (兩岸關係條例)” though it appears that the formal name of the Act is: Act Governing Relations between Peoples of the Taiwan Area and the Mainland Area (臺灣地區與大陸地區人民關係條例) (links provided to the English and Chinese texts respectively).

The restrictions on people from the mainland granted ROC ID aren’t that terribly different than those for foreigners who have been naturalized under the ROC Nationality Act.

Ahh, the irony of being a white Taiwanese without a foreign passport … gotta love it. :smiley: :smiley:

But the position was only open to forengenrs so as you’re not can’t really complain about it. I’ve nearly done my ten years so soon I can run fore Taipei Mayor, nah maybe president of the country that would be better :smiley:[/quote]

I’m not complaining; I like the job I got instead. Just FYI for the purposes of this discussion, that’s all.

I passed the ten-year mark a few years ago and my friends all said I should run for something, but said friends also weren’t willing to donate the cash necessary for such an effort. Also, I hate politics.

Thank jlick to find the report.

Poagao, does that job relate to any skill that only foreign passport holder has? I’m just curios what job it is. Or you should sue the goverment… hehe

My cousin also get a interesting job. She is invited to Japan as an English teaching assistant (the government programm, JET) Because she has an Australian Passport. Although she has lived in OZ for more than 10 years, and speaks good English, she can get the possition just because of the passport. She is a Taiwanese moved to OZ at 15. I thought they were aiming to invite true native speakers, but the Japanese government only considers the status of having an English speaking countries’ passport.

DoD: Right. The passport thing is a bit strange. They want “foreigners on paper” and nothing else.

Poagao, I’m the same as you. Having a government job (maybe “neighborhood leader” or something) would get me some extra cash. However, I refuse to hire losers to walk around with my name, bang on cymbals and drums, and set off firecrackers in front of people’s houses. That, to me, is illogical campaigning.

I quit watching TV in 2003 because of the news’ boring “SARS” coverage. At that time, I was using a TV-box for my computer monitor and splitting off my landlord’s cable, just because my girlfriend at the time wanted to watch. I have never owned my own TV in my whole life. (When I stay in a hotel, I do like to watch the travel, food and cooking shows, though).

Politics and campaigning are a waste of time and resources, in my opinion. I can vote, but I proudly will not do so.