Taiwanese citizenship via marriage

[quote=“DoD”]well, i don’t know the very detail. but i believe that the mainland wife already renounced the China citizenship. What are be argued is that if the government give you the full citizenship and the person only has Taiwan citizenship, what’s the point to make s/he different from the citizen born in Taiwan? That classifies the citizen, and the scholars think it’s not right. It also means that you don’t really get the full citizenship in this 10 years. What kind of citizen is in this ten year? Second class citizen? They already spend so much time to get the citizenship, but the government still classify them. It’s unfair. Or just don’t call it citizenship.
I don’t know is caucassion interested in being government emplyee or it’s too hard for them to pass the exam. But that mainlander passed the exam and prepared to go to work then the government found she is not allowed. This put her in an awkward situ. Why let her sit in the exam?
Anyway, the point is if one get the citizenship, s/he should be treat equal as the citizen born here immediately.[/quote]

interesting point - and i would totally agree with that from a scholarly pov - however, we live in the real world and the same applies to the USA - thankfully schwarteniger (sp?!) will never be president because he is a naturalised citizen and hey, im sure the uk is the same, as a born citizen, can you ever really trust someone from another country to be put into a position of power where their decision could be used against the country? I dont think so

It is a shame, but something you have to accept if you want to chnage countries - I mean, you seem angered by it, but are you suprised?

Take a step back and look at this situation.

Land ownership, money, country borders, patriotism, passports, citizenship and nationality are all things that humans invented “to keep a safe distance from other humans.”

Humanity is sad.

“How Taiwanese are you?”
“How Sudanese are you?”
“How Lebanese are you?”
“How Japanese are you?”

Without a formula in physics to calculate these things, humans will find a way to somehow rate themselves as better than others. I agree with DoD that these things shouldn’t happen, but it’s guaranteed to happen with humans.

Plus, I hate politics.

i’m better than 1/2 to the goal of 3 years. too bad my US passport comes up for renewal before i can apply for ROC citizenship. i really don’t want to renew my US passport.

[quote=“coolingtower”]Be careful. You have to renounce your original citizenship in order to become a full Taiwan national. I have done that.

If you marry a local and receive “permanent residence”, still your mobile phone number, mortgage, credit card, etc, should use your spouse’s name. If you don’t have a Taiwan ID card, you’re still a foreigner in the eyes of the government. If your marriage doesn’t work out, you’re back to zero.[/quote]

i’ll be celebrating with you soon enough!

[quote=“thenhbushman”][quote=“coolingtower”]Be careful. You have to renounce your original citizenship in order to become a full Taiwan national. I have done that.

If you marry a local and receive “permanent residence”, still your mobile phone number, mortgage, credit card, etc, should use your spouse’s name. If you don’t have a Taiwan ID card, you’re still a foreigner in the eyes of the government. If your marriage doesn’t work out, you’re back to zero.[/quote]

I’ll be celebrating with you soon enough![/quote]

How soon is soon enough? :eh:

Nothing wrong with “previous citizenship” or “place of birth” restrictions, if that’s the law in my opinion. As a previous poster pointed out the US has a law about a president having to be born in the U.S.

And it’s not just for president – to join the foreign service in the U.S., besides passing the exams, you have to pass a background check. The background check includes loyalty and becomes much more troublesome (not impossible) if you have / had other citizenships.

[edited for grammar]

BAH included some good info, although a little off the subject I doubt if the moderators will quell him for that. Thanks, BAH.

At a convenience store the other day, I ran into a Chinese Mom. (She was from Fu Jian province. A “breeder”, I call them). She saw me pay for something and noticed my Taiwan ID card in my wallet. She asked how long it took me to get it. I said “five years” as a standard answer. She said it takes (or took) her 8 years to get hers. Then I changed my answer to “you can start applying after 5 years of legal residence/work. So it took me over 7 years to get mine.”

She spoke at much over 100 decibels, and wouldn’t have a word of what I was saying. So I left.

(60% of kids born today are raised by people like THIS? No comment–just think about it.)

Mainland Chinese are treated differently under the law as they are not considered ‘foreigners’. The regulations on immigration, work rights, and citizenship rules are completely different than those that apply to ‘foreigners’, and in most cases are much stricter. Foreign spouses and even unmarried foreigners are MUCH better treated under the law than Mainland Chinese.

How does one renounce their original citizenship?

I moved to Taiwan in 1981 and became a citizen in 1994.

The MOFA will ask you to get a document that proves that you will renounce your original citizenship. In my case, I went to the Consulate of my original country and told them what I needed and they gave me the following:

If a ***** citizen, who’s at least 18 years of age, voluntarily acquires a foreign nationality, he/she will automatically lose his ***** citizenship.

Actually the MOFA didn’t like the ““WILL” automatically” part as they thought it referred to some time in the future and not as soon as… Had the consulate redo it so that it said " automatically LOSES"…

Anyway, six months of residence in my original country will reinstate my original citizenship so I can still end up with dual citizenship. It’s not what I care for but may do so in the future for my son.

I am in the process of applying for the ROC citizenship but I am stuck here because
my country doesn’t issue a certificate or any other written document as a proof that I have renounced my original citizenship, according to the immigration laws of my country, if I become a citizen of a foreign country I automatically loose my original citizenship. In this case how can I prove this to the Taiwanese government without a written document? Thanks in advance.

I wonder (just thinking out loud) whether they would know any better if the applicant just…forged their own letter, pretending to be the foreign government, and saying that such-and-such a person really had renounced their citizenship…?

I mean, their security would be aimed at preventing people from falsely claiming that nationality, not falsely denying it–right?

Unless you are the first one from your nation to apply for ROC nationality, wouldnt they already know what your nation provides in the way of paperwork or that it doesnt?

[quote=“Screaming Jesus”]I wonder (just thinking out loud) whether they would know any better if the applicant just…forged their own letter, pretending to be the foreign government, and saying that such-and-such a person really had renounced their citizenship…?

I mean, their security would be aimed at preventing people from falsely claiming that nationality, not falsely denying it–right?[/quote]

No only fools would try that. After you have the document you have to get it notarized by your own government first. The TECO office then contacts the person who signed the form to verify that they are first an authorized person who can sign and secondly tp prevent fraud. Then the TECO office notarizes the document as being valid. Immigration in Australia did this and also they translated it for free into traditional Mandarin ( considered an essential document ) as well.

Submitting fraudulent documents is clearly a stupid idea. It would not only prevent you from obtaining citizenship but you would end up in jail for forgery before being deported.

Thanks for the input guys, I haven’t done anything illegal in the past and never will. Anyway I got some kind of good news from the MOFA in my country today. It looks like the law regarding dual citizenship had been revised back in 2003. that means I may be able to renounce my original nationality. I will report back when the things progress, Thanks again for your replies. :slight_smile: