Taiwanese Computer Slang Driving Me Nuts!

For the love of all things good in this world, please STOP saying “nope” for “no problem”.

All of my Taiwanese co-workers use “nope” in this way and its like nails on a chalkboard. Now, I am starting to see native speaking English colleagues picking this up and using it too!

There are other things they type and say too in English that make no sense, like “cause” for “because”. Have any of you run into this or is it just unique to my workplace?

I’ve never notice the “nope” for “no problem”. But I remember when I was a kid that we used to say (no computers back then) “cause” for “because”. Not sure why we did it, probably just lazy American kids.

You could retaliate with Chinese slang. :smiling_imp:

Same here…but once computer slang came along we went from because --> cuz --> bc.

I also never heard of “nope” for “no problem”. They’re two different meanings…

When they say “thank you”, just reply “No Q” instead of “nope”. :wink:

Or 四Q, since that comes next.

But “No Q” is actually kind of a thing here. At least, that’s what I’ve learned from a few locals. And I do get some giggles/laughs when I use it.

It used to be a lot more prevalent, there were loads of people who thought it was a legitimate way to say “you’re welcome”, given that it does roughly follow a kind of pattern similar to Mando.
When the current Mrs @Rocket and I were first going out, I often replied to her saying thank you with “No Q”.
After a couple of times, she began to come back with “Fuh Q”

Which is pretty dang funny.

Please don’t bring that back.

I C C, calm down and eat a toast! Because you are the engineer but in Taiwan is different. Funny!

A toasted toast? :bread::bread:

Never heard of nope used in that context before. There are other things that drive me crazy about how people butcher engineering terminologies here. I tend to forget them right quick though… The only things that come to mind are how people find new and creative way to say “cache” and how people say “ca” instead of “x”

Oh, and people would say “no mind” when they mean “it’s all good”

Maybe it’s the new Buddhism. :expressionless:

Seriously funny!! And sounds right in your wheel house, no wonder you married her!

Oh, it’s already been broughten! :stuck_out_tongue:

You’re welc…I mean…NO Q!!

Don’t think I don’t know what you’re referencing. No one got my Super Troopers reference in another thread though. :crying_cat_face:

I must have missed it! Can’t wait for the second one! I want to watch it right meow!!

What does 'cause for because have to do with computers? I’ve been saying that like…since before computers were invented.

1 Like

What? I didn’t know you are as old as Rocket…

Hmm, I’m probably not that crotchety yet. Just a little hyperbole. I think rockets were invented first.