Taiwanese Culture 101

I’m compiling a list of questions that foreigners totally innocent of Taiwanese/Chinese culture might ask about Taiwan upon first arriving the island. Some examples might be:

Why are the same street names like Zhongshan or Zhongzheng found in cities throughout Taiwan?

Why is the spelling of road signs so confusing?

Why do the locals order so many dishes when eating out?

What are some good snacks to get at a night market?

Who designated Taibei, Taidong, Tainan? and why isn’t there Taixi?

I hope to put together a set of teaching materials for local students so they can learn how to introduce their culture to foreigners. Your input?

But they do speak Chinese?

HG

As a matter of fact there is a Taixi, a little dot on the map near Lugang somewhere I think.

Why do Chinese chew and talk with their mouth open full of food (yet cover their mouth when using a toothpick)?

ah, sweet memories…
why does the taiwan military use mainland style license plates?

if taiwan is an independent country, why do many military units still have a map of china(including mongolia!) as a shoulder patch?

why are the light-trucks mostly blue?

why isn’t james soong in prison?

why doesn’t taiwan, a soverign country, have china’s national palce museum?

why are gift shops in the airports here replete with mainland faux antiques but virtually nothing of taiwanese culture?

why isn’t the china post in china?

on the 500NT note, why is the catcher hearing his jockstrap outside his pants?

why does the KMT have offices outside of taiwan, such as in downtown honolulu? do foreign political parties maintain offices here?

on the 1000NT bill, just WHAT are the kids pointing to on the globe?

why is there a statue of a murderous tyrant outside every train station?

where can i get a decent exchange rate for NT$ that is anywhere close to the official rate?

why are so many police/fire stations so close to the brothels?

is prostitution legal here or don’t the locals see the obvious?

why do “direct trade routes” go through a third country?

can i get paid in RMB yet?

why are so many kids out latenight on school night?

why do the public libraries lock up all the books so no one can read them?

why do public libraries have so few books?

why do guys have to two years compulsory service but not gals?

when are they gonna take the nuclear waste off lanyu?

why do so many people really dig-in when picking their noses in public?

how can so many young, apparently idle guys have bitchin’ mitsubishis 'n benzes?

what ever became of the KMT regiment stranded in thailand? why doesn’t taiwan bring them on over?

what’s with all the blatantly padded bras? don’t they know how stupid they look?

why is the TV/cable TV so bad?

what happens if one of taiwan’s frequent quakes busts up a nuclear reactor?

why are landings at CKS always so frightful?

why shouldn’t i fly china airlines?

why does the train circle the whole island but come nowhere close to the airport?

how many taxis are there?

why do the parents on motorcycle wear helmets themselves but fail to provide such for infants and kiddies?

why do people walk their dogs by driving their cars?

why do foreigners have extra low interest rates on their savings accounts here?

why does kindergarten last for four years here?

where did all the squat toilets go?

So many of these are rhetorical questions, but I’ve attempted to answer a few…

[quote=“skeptic yank”]

if Taiwan is an independent country, why do many military units still have a map of China(including mongolia!) as a shoulder patch? [/quote]

Because Taiwan is NOT an independent COUNTRY!

It distinguishes them from yellow taxis.

guanxi

[quote=“skeptic yank”]why does the KMT have offices outside of Taiwan, such as in downtown honolulu? do foreign political parties maintain offices here?[/quote] I believe there is a republican chapter. ask fred smith.

[quote=“skeptic yank”]on the 1000NT bill, just WHAT are the kids pointing to on the globe?[/quote] where they’re immigrating to

[quote=“skeptic yank”]why do guys have to two years compulsory service but not gals?[/quote] there are no Hello Kitty M-16s

guanxi

[quote=“skeptic yank”]what’s with all the blatantly padded bras? don’t they know how stupid they look?[/quote] it adds dimension and hides the nips

[quote=“skeptic yank”]why is the TV/cable TV so bad?[/quote]it’s cheap

:unamused:

[quote=“skeptic yank”]why does kindergarten last for four years here?[/quote] it should be called ‘day care’

OK, be as facetious as you want, but I just thought of a few more (relevant ones):

Why do TV shows have subtitles when they’re already in Chinese?

Why is it considered taboo to stick your chopsticks into your rice bowl?

Why is a wedding invitation called a red bomb?

Keep 'em coming, the serious ones at least. :unamused:

[quote=“Incubus”]OK, be as facetious as you want, but I just thought of a few more (relevant ones):

Why do TV shows have subtitles when they’re already in Chinese?[/quote]Why are TV shows dubbed (badly) when they’re already in Chinese ?

[quote]Why is it considered taboo to stick your chopsticks into your rice bowl?[/quote]Ohh… I know this one, coz that’s what they do with incense at funerals, stick them in a pot. That was in the other thead… about chopsticks or something

[quote]Why is a wedding invitation called a red bomb?

Keep 'em coming, the serious ones at least. :unamused:[/quote]

[quote=“Incubus”]OK, be as facetious as you want, but I just thought of a few more (relevant ones):

Why do TV shows have subtitles when they’re already in Chinese?

Why is it considered taboo to stick your chopsticks into your rice bowl?

Why is a wedding invitation called a red bomb?

Keep 'em coming, the serious ones at least. :unamused:[/quote]

Easy answers to those, Incubus. (Btw, if you’re a male you can be an Incubus, but if you’re female, you should be a Succubus)

Subtitles: Diff Chineses
Chopsticks: Death–yours
Red bombs: Gotta pay money!
:shock:

Why do bus passengers strike the cushion before occupying an empty seat?

Why does my doorman stand up and salute me each time I enter the lobby?

I think Incubus is interested in just questions, not answers, from us. The answers – or wild guesses – will come from his students.

Matthew and Alien,

Thanks for furnishing the answers, but it’s the questions that I’m looking for, not answers. Just think back to the time when you first got here. What did you find shocking, confusing?

Yeah, still waiting for my succubus to appear.

Thanks, cranky. You said it! Of course, if people can’t help chiming in with the answers, then sure they’re welcome to. :slight_smile:

Why are there so many McDonald’s and so few Burger Kings?

Why are there betel nut girls in Taipei County, but not in Taipei?

Why do people slurp their soup?

Why are there no Taco Bells?

Why does almost every woman over 45 have a perm?

Why do most women (and a lot of men) dye their hair?

Why are there so few garbage cans in Taipei?

To make sure the ghost/spirit of the previous occupant really has left.

Why do so many Taiwanese drive so fast, but walk so slowly?

Nankang = “southern port”
Beikang = “northern port”

Why is Nankang in northern Taiwan, and Beikang in southern Taiwan?

Brilliant question. Do these two sentences suffice as an answer?:

“Omigod, we’re late. We’d better take the car.”

“Should we drive? Naaaah. There’s plenty of time. Let’s just walk.”

skeptic: loved the list. very puzzling.

oh, and, yes:

Pray tell… how does one “hear” one’s jockstrap on the outside of one’s pants? I’m dying to know. And what exactly does a jockstrap sound like? I’m waiting with “baited” breath. :laughing:

It’s obviously a typo, not “hearing” but “wearing.” Take a look at the bill. The catcher has this cup on. To me it looks more like a sumo wrestler’s get-up. :?