Taiwanese diaspora & Taiwanese restaurants overseas

I know exactly what you need!

Yeah, I’d never heard of it before either. Abbreviation for Brined, Deboned, Soy Milk. Sounds tasty!

In most U.S. cities? That’s some serious hyperbole there. You’d be lucky to find a good Chinese restaurant in most U.S. cities. Although I guess your definition of good may be different than mine.

Sounds kinky delicious!

Given your opinion of Taiwanese food, there’s really nothing to discuss anyway.

1 Like

Issues of personal taste aside, I’d challenge you to even find a Taiwanese restaurant in most American cities.

Google Maps is your friend. Pick a city, you might be surprised.

Didn’t think so.

1 Like

I picked Cleveland, there was a fusion place at the top with a Taiwanese dish. 4th on the list was Thai. 2 and 3 were Sichuan and Shanghai

For big cities, chances are pretty good. Medium and small cities, not so much.

I’ve seen that before too, where searching for “Taiwanese restaurant” often brings up pan-Asian or pan-Chinese places serving one or two Taiwanese dishes but they aren’t really Taiwanese restaurants.

Maybe they need to made things clearer, like this:

4 Likes

isn’t the majority Taiwanese population already a diaspora people?

If people move from their ancestral homeland once, then within a few generations leave that place, are they still ‘diaspora’?

1 Like

@Gain why do you keep bringing up this topic? Just take your $200 refund payment and call it a victory. Or as Morris Chang would say, çŹ‘ćˆ°éŠ€èĄŒćŽ»ă€‚

Good Dim Sum, they steam them very good in Cleveland.

So what you’re saying is, you highly recommend the Cleveland steamer?

1 Like

This is true.

My guess is you have been away from the US for too long. I have noticed this trend as well. Before I left in my overly white college town of 100K people there was a beef noodle/baozi place and now there are three more restaurants marketed as Taiwanese food with guabao, luroufan, xiansuji etc.

I think after bubble tea took off more and more actual restaurants are opening up just based on what I’ve seen traveling the US.

2 Likes

Go back every year
except for the last three.

Bubble tea, of course, is everywhere
unfortunately. :sweat_smile:

I have gone back and noticed it more now. Plus if you’re from CA it’s already everywhere.

And that has allowed places to branch out. I see bubble tea places offering Taiwanese snacks. And then shave ice etc.

Just randomly checked places like SLC and Albuquerque and they all have places with beef noodle soup, guabao, luroufan, bubble tea etc. marketed as Taiwanese food.

2 Likes

Guess I’ll find out soon enough. Should be going back this year.

Reminds me of Pakistani food world wide. I mean Indian. Darn it, nothing.

Luckily now things are improving. There is more than just the usual Cantonese ish buffets in north america. I bet there is even some real authentic Taiwanese cuisine in big cities in the US now. would imagine probably very expensive, but it is improving as ignorance on food is diminishing.

Anyone know of some true to form local taiwanese (not chinese) cuisine outside taiwan? I would think perhaps Japan and Western US and Canada perhaps?