Taiwanese do not integrate well to life in China

Mostly what I hear, “their stays in China as only temporary.”

Not particularly surprising. I think it’s hard for most people to integrate well to Chinese society, though…

It seems they’re more hostile towards Taiwanese these days vs the past.

2 Likes

Who would.

2 Likes

ftfy

1 Like

Well in the past, at least when I was there, they really wanted to push the same country idea. Not so much these days from what I heard. A lot of distrust of Taiwanese people now.

Xi was never heavy on the Taiwan is part of China rhetoric in the past.

’ … communal activities with their Chinese peers’

They also do the ballroom dancing thing in the parks in Taiwan.

Seriously. It’s the last place in East Asia I’d want to live/work.

3 Likes

I would still say for young single people, if it can get you a nice salary and experience for you to move up in a few years, go in and plan to come out. Rent is still pretty cheap from what i’ve heard still.

But for a life and with a family, nope.

Yeah for how long? Their shit is hitting the fan.

I see nothing wrong with a 2-3 year contract.

I’d have to be in Shanghai or somewhere like that. No way I could hack it in one of those dime-a-dozen, polluted, industrial cities in the center of the country with only a few hundred thousand people, even back when I was a single and adventurous young buck in my 20s.

Oh, there is one country in East Asia, which would be less desirable to work in and that’s North Korea lol

agree with the young sentiment. go there as a total noob to asia for 1 year and it will still be fun but not as much as before.

Guess it’s comforting for some that its not just foreigners from the west that struggle to integrate in China.

1 Like

No one would. unless youre from somewhere truly terrible. Even the north koreans that escape to china complain. that says a lot.

Personally i think 20 year olds going to china to make money are either totally ignorant as to how the world works or if they do know what china is about and accept going there for money is a bit psychopathic in the literal sense. The country as a political/businesd entity is truly horrible. In moat ways. And taiwanese, perhaps more than anyone, logically will feel like shit there. Thats why for many years taiwanese companies send their kids to taiwanese schools and live in closed communties there. China is filled with strata style complexes of taiwanese people because they want to stay seperate from them if they are high enough up the food chain.

The ironic part to me, and ive asked a lot of my friends who do business there without any reasonable reply, is how they know it is so shitty and try to escape every day life there like its the plague, but they sell out their own country to save a bit on labor costs. Its mind blowing really that they are constantly escpaping the culture there and at the same time knowingly pushing taiwan closer towards that culture…maybe they all have green cards, just in case?? There is a word for that kind of situation but im drawing a blank. Its really fascinating, though perhaps the definition of idiocy.

1 Like

This seems to be true of the wealthy foreigner population at large there. Isolated by choice from the general rabble. Also seems to be true for the wealthiest of the mainlanders, themselves.

If you’re rich enough, you can buy a sense of not being in China…while still physically living in China. Like building yourself a nice little condo in the middle of a dump, and never coming out if you can help it, so you can try to forget that you live in a dump.

i went there at 25 and bingo i knew nothing about china and ended up making my own judgements. which were that i actually liked a lot of things about china. it was a very eye opening experience for a complete noob to china and asia. its the reason i came to taiwan. although things did seem to be on a positive trajectory when i was there 10 years ago. the current climate is a lot more doom and gloom.

There’s no way you can buy a sense of not living in China in China…I honestly don’t believe it.
Shanghai some parts, Xiamen …Almost…But nope.

Take for example the ordeal of just taking a train there. You have to purchase a ticket by queuing at a special counter for foreigners or get somebody to buy it for you. Must bring your passport . Then you have to go through a mass security screening just to enter the train station. Hate that. You get inside and the stores and food are poor quality. Your bullet train arrives and you go through rough gates and you board the train , it’s dirty.
It’s nothing like the experience in Taiwan and Japan.

I didn’t like China much when I visited (apart from the traffic, pollution, cold in Winter and massive developments everywhere ) because a lot of people seemed angry and pissed off. I mean the shitty faced immigration and police, the migrant workers, the taxi drivers spitting and screaming , the sullen service in the restaurants.The one place that seemed really chilled was Guilin down South. I could definitely live down that way (the pollution over entire China is very putting though ).
But I’d need to get into the countryside to see how it all compares.

Taiwanese aren’t trusted in China , you see China is a VERY competitive place so what happens (at least in our org ) is they are getting rid of the China based managers from Taiwan and their origin is one way to undercut them. We used to have three senior managers now all have left basically or lost their positions there. No Taiwanese have moved from our Taiwan office to there for about 5 years now.

1 Like

I should have mentioned that the place I visited where I noticed this was Shanghai. But you’re right, it sucks ass to live there no matter how you slice it.

1 Like

My personal experience in China: I used to fear death, then I worked in Qingdao for a few days.