Taiwanese driver in New Zealand has rental car revoked within an hour of driving

Generally, as long as you say sorry and leave it isn’t an issue. No one will do you for trespassing. In fact New Zealand law states that trespassing has to be “intentional” so they can’t do you for it anyway

I’ve always assumed the whoop whoop sound of the cop car siren here in Taiwan was the signal to stop, yes, you, stop. That, or the cop on foot pointing his light baton to you.

Actually I always thought it was troublesome as one more loud noise might go unnoticed here.

That said…Why on Earth’s name are you doing stopping in the middle of a roundabout?!

I can live with the driving, passing cars unsafely and not waiting for the coast to be clear before pulling out as well, the back and side mirrors are ignored. And how embarrassing to have your car taken away half an hour in the country, LOL. And on your honeymoon!

Comments talk about cluelessness. It is beyond that. It’s driving without any realization that you are not the only car on the road.

Be grateful it is not a violent place where a stressed local driver might react violently.

2 Likes

This video is no longer available

The link may be broken or the video may have been removed. You can explore more videos or try logging in to facebook.com and then visiting the link again.

And not there when logged in.

I can see it. The dialogue. I’m in stitches.

NZ cop: pull over where it’s safe, where people can see us. Not on the corner.
Taiwanese guy: So I can’t pull over here?
NZ cop: Follow me! (Facepalm implied).

Taiwanese guy: I’m not sure what I’m doing is wrong.
NZ cop just turns around. Probably biting his tongue.

:rofl:

3 Likes

I thought this was just a joke/satire at first because I didn’t notice the Facebook link at the bottom… After watching it…oh god.

Taiwan roads/driving certainly didn’t prepare him to drive in NZ that’s for sure…

They have free camping zones with toilets for cars. If you are not in a free camping zone you get fine. Otherwise will be really dirty

Why is the OP talking about Wellington. That’s a Chch arrival, car hire, head to Queenstown.

1 Like

A lot of Taiwanese people got ticketed on self-driving trips overseas. Plenty of them rarely drive in Taiwan to begin with. I don’t understand why people would attempt to drive in a country that drive on the other side of the road when they can barely drive in Taiwan.

On my trip to New Zealand I saw at least one group of Taiwanese people getting ticketed.

1 Like

Can someone post a different link to this video? Every time I press this link, it say the video is unavailable.

The problem is as you know it’s so much easier to self drive in Kiwiland. Although infrastructure has improved and they have hop on hop off buses it’s still a pain in the butt to get to a lot of scenic spots.my travel when I go home is mostly just ferry to Picton and hike and boat in the Marlborough Sounds.

Couldn’t fit the ferry and Wellington into my trip. If I ever do go back, that’s probably on the top of my list.

Locals drive over 100kph on single lane “freeways”. It’s not something Taiwanese people are used to I guess. The thing this, despite having driven in the US, Canada, and Germany, I was pretty nervous about having to drive switched, so I did hours of simulated New Zealand driving (i.e. watching New Zealand dash cam videos) before my trip, as well as reading up on traffic rules and tips before the trip. Even after all that, I think it still took for 2 days before I really felt comfortable driving switched.

Thirty years in Taiwan and I still chant “right side right side” to myself when setting out.

5 Likes

Inexperienced and alarmingly dangerous driving causes havoc on the roads!

8 Likes

Well, the Taiwanese government now knows what it needs to do to fix it’s problem. This is the kind of conversation that almost every Taiwanese driver needs to have before they get on the road.

That said, this driver seemed oblivious. Perhaps it’s similar to the germ theory problem here. I see people not washing their hands or just waving their hands under the water. In restaurants they’ll wipe the table with a napkin and then put their chopsticks on it as if their napkin had the magical power of killing all germs after someone had just spat out a bunch of chicken bones.

But, then again the recent covid 19 pandemic has shown us that Taiwanese aren’t the only ones to struggle with wrapping their brains around basic science.

1 Like

Yes but you can buy a portable toilet and as long as you have it with you you’ll be fine.

Basically they want to make sure you’re not going to go number 2 on the side of the road.

That’s why having a camper van is awesome as you can stop virtually anywhere

2 Likes

How does that work? :thinking:

1 Like

A 5 gallon bucket and a box of cat litter packed in the trunk.

According the video posted by @chydals , the hapless Taiwanese couple apparently pulled out of Queenstown Airport.

Guy

Ah, real rich Taiwanese then. We used to ride into Queenstown on horseback.

https://www.google.com/search?q=portable+toilet+for+camping&source=lnms&tbm=shop&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwiYxrnQkrD_AhVMq1YBHdXoDvsQ_AUoAXoECAEQAw&biw=1152&bih=631&dpr=2.5