Taiwanese Driver's License - downsides abroad after exchange?

It means if you want to resume the license it’s easy within that period.

Pretty strict country. Where I’m from I just say I lost it and poof new card. They couldn’t care less where you live either as long as they get the lucre.

I had a friend from France tell me how complicated it.was when he moved to Taiwan as you can’t just cancel the national insurance without major proof that you’ve moved and proof that you’re covered elsewhere. They wanted copies from Taiwan’s NHI as well as just being a resident elsewhere isn’t enough

1 Like

Hi, yes there is a downside. You will no longer be able to drive legally in Japan with your Taiwanese licence

You required to carry a Japanese translation of Taiwanese license to drive in Japan. However the Taiwanese traffice department refuses to issue the translation to ARC/APRC holders. The result is there is no legal way to rent a car or drive in Japan for an APRC holder with a Taiwan license.

It is very racist and discriminatory not to give issue the translation of the same license to Taiwanese by not APRC holders. This decision was purely made in Taiwan. I have contacted the Japanese embassy to confirm this rule comes from Taiwan and not Japan.

Will you need to drive in Japan? If so, keep your old license and get and international license on your next trip home.

3 Likes

I am confused. Did the rules change?

Yes. I am aware that many people have gotten the Japanese Translation in the past. However the traffic department is no longer issuing it ARC/APRC holders and only to pure Taiwanese.

Thanks for posting that!
I saw you also started a thread about that - linking it here for reference: Bad experience with traffic department, and discriminatory policy against APRC holders

Any changes about the TW drivers licence translation to Japanese for ARC holders?

Can you get a translation of your Taiwanese license done by an accredited translator and use that in Japan?

Sorry for slight off-topic inquiry, but can one exchange an expired driver’s license for a Taiwanese one?