Taiwanese Driver's Motorcycle license in Canada

Hi,
I have my taiwanese heavy motorcycle license, (and can get my big heavy motorcycle license), when i go back to Canada (Ontario) what does my taiwanese license entitle me to? Can i exchange my taiwanese license for a Canadian one, do i still have to do my M1? Do i get anything?..anything at all???

It will not allow you to ride a big bore bike. Taiwan and Canada do not have any special relations, so it will (most likely) not be possible to transfer your Taiwanese license for a Canadian one. You will still need to get an M1. If it is just temporary, you can get an international license, that if I remember correctly will allow you to ride bikes 250cc and below.

[quote=“MotorcycleRider”]It will not allow you to ride a big bore bike. Taiwan and Canada do not have any special relations, so it will (most likely) not be possible to transfer your Taiwanese license for a Canadian one. You will still need to get an M1. If it is just temporary, you can get an international license, that if I remember correctly will allow you to ride bikes 250cc and below.[/quote]I thought that a Taiwanese international motorbike license was good for any size of bike. I seem to remember someone renting a big bike abroad on the strength of one.

" (and can get my big heavy motorcycle license),

• and please tell a better story than the last one
    re. the big heavy test!
    Don’t wish to get into the personal reasons I’ve avoided
    the Canadian - excuse - for - an - Embassy here, but why not just ask them?
    THEN post their answer here (for me).
    Thank you!

[quote=“ccpcannonfodder”]" (and can get my big heavy motorcycle license),

• and please tell a better story than the last one
    re. the big heavy test!
    Don’t wish to get into the personal reasons I’ve avoided
    the Canadian - excuse - for - an - Embassy here, but why not just ask them?
    THEN post their answer here (for me).
    Thank you![/quote]I’m pretty sure that the situation is as Motorcycle Rider said, except that the Taiwanese international license may be good for all sizes of bikes, not just up to 250cc. And that’s really a question of what it says on the license, not what the Canadian Trade Office/Embassy say.

By the way, could I make a suggestion? It would make it much easier to read your posts if you could make it clear which parts are quoted and which parts are by you. One easy way to do this is by using the quote function. Why not try it out in a few test posts in the Temp forum? Either press the “quote” button in someone else’s post, then delete the bits you don’t want to quote, or when you’re composing a new post, select some text then press the “quote” button just below the subject line.

[quote=“OKao”]Hi,
I have my Taiwanese heavy motorcycle license, (and can get my big heavy motorcycle license), when i go back to Canada (Ontario) what does my Taiwanese license entitle me to? Can i exchange my Taiwanese license for a Canadian one, do i still have to do my M1? Do I get anything?..anything at all???[/quote]

It’s all a bit gray. I’ve rented cars in the UK and California with my Taiwanese license even though there wasn’t any specific reciprocal agreement to do so. I was pulled over in the UK for inspection and there was no problem after I showed proof of being Taiwan resident on holiday in the UK. (I always use Enterprise Rent-A-Car after finding them very good about dealing with my crazy license, btw).

I have rented 400cc bikes in Japan with what was at the time my ‘standard heavy motorcycle license’ and international counterpart. Very easy and seems to be no gray area according to reciprocal Taiwan-Japan agreements.

Successfully rented small sportsbikes in California but I gave them a LOT of documentation on bikes I had in my name, clean driving record (which you can get from the Taiwan DMVs), MSF info, stuff from the UK etc. I guess the rental places are mostly small enthusiast-type outlets so if they don’t feel 100% comfortable with you they will just turn down your business.

Almost rented an SV650 in the UK before they got edgy and pulled out but fortunately I still have a few riding buddies there who very kindly pitch in with loaners.

So to sum up, for anywhere outside Japan it’s all a gray area, plus remember that you are only supposed to use your Taiwanese license abroad for purposes of travel. You can’t go back home and use your Taiwanese license ad infinitum (emphasised because this is a very important point - foreign driving licenses are for foreigners/foreign residents). Renting is very difficult and probably impossible if you have no documented experience on bigger machines.

Get an International License (at the DMV) before you leave. Canada should recognize that.

If the OP is planning to rent, especially bikes, then definitely check with the rental outfit before leaving to avoid disappointment. The main concern is really insurance as police never really gave me any trouble about using a foreign license in the UK or US. From what he has written he is probably not eligible to use an IDP in the way he wants as international license are for non-residents only.

[quote=“llary”]From what he has written he is probably not eligible to use an IDP in the way he wants as international license are for non-residents only.[/quote]I think you might be making too much of that. I think most countries let you use an IDP for up to a year, regardless of immigration/residency status. That’s the case in the UK and Taiwan, anyway. I checked the UK government information on this a while back, though I can’t remember why.

I’ve rented in many countries, though only cars, on an IDP, never a problem. Besides, if he is Canadian, he technically has to reside in Canada for 6 months before he is considered a resident again and eligible for a driver’s license, health care, etc.

I looked up all the relevant laws pretty recently for Australia, Canada and the UK. The problem is that Taiwan is technically not party to the 1949 IDPs and issues IDPs under the 1968 Vienna convention. This is an extremely dull thing to know, I know, but I had to do all the research to persuade bike outfits to rent me anything bigger than a shopping trolley.

What this means is that driving in most countries using a Taiwan issued license + IDP is technically illegal but in practise okay. The main reason I’m concerned for the OP is over insurance. We all know what insurance companies are like and if you’re found not to have a valid license - even on a technicality - then oops. Not really a major problem for short visits but IMO asking for trouble when you could just go and get a valid Canadian/UK/whatever license at your leisure. Just giving a heads up because I looked into this further than any sane person should be forced to.

PS - when driving abroad with your IDP remember you also need to carry your local Taiwanese license. Have fun!

Great stuff guys. Thanks for the info.

I was hoping that i wouldn’t have to go through the graduating licensing in Canada…i guess i do.

Does anyone know if you can own a motorcycle and get insurance with a M2 Ontario license? Sorry, my ISP won’t let me access the Ontario Motor-vechicle website, no idea why.