Taiwanese Employee Dinner Etiquette

Taiwan can still pleasantly surprise me everyday!
Had a Dinner tonight with 30 or so employees in a Restaurant. Normal tradition seems to be that the most Senior person pays,which is fine as many junior staff do not earn big salaries,so I do not mind at all if I have to pay and it is expected.
Tonight was a little different in that everyone contributes ,monthly, to pay for a Meal somewhere. I do not always attend these Dinners but although tired , I went today.
We all had a great Dinner and everyone was talking,drinking. Feeling a bit tired,with an hours drive ahead of me, I stood up to make my excuses to leave.
At that point all 30 people also got up, together, and got their coats etc.
I felt quite guilty but my GF explained that if I leave,thats the signal for all to leave !! :astonished: A very humbling situation for me but it seems perfectly normal for everyone,even if they are paying themselves.
Left me feeling all warm inside(or was that the whiskey?)…I genuinely love the Taiwnese apparent respect for old fools like me and feel that the majority show no animosity towards Foreigners,which is unusual in the World today.
Tomorrow some idiot will nearly kill me on the road and i may retract this sentiment :popcorn:

Pretty normal. I am an old Taiwanese fool myself.
Sounds like you are either the boss, or at least senior to them either in position or age.

What you might want to do next, is to let them know the food is already paid for (if you are the one paying). You need to leave for whatever reason. As them to stay and enjoy themselves. Toast one last time. Then stand up slowly, and bow and leave…

Where do you think you’re driving to having drunk whiskey? There’s enough problem with DUI as it is.

I partook in a toast and only had a few sips i am afraid. Too much risk for me (and others) to drink/drive.I would lose 4 Licences if I was prosecuted for DUI.

I partook in a toast and only had a few sips I am afraid. Too much risk for me (and others) to drink/drive.I would lose 4 Licences if I was prosecuted for DUI.[/quote]

Implying that the DUI checkpoints arent a joke.

I partook in a toast and only had a few sips I am afraid. Too much risk for me (and others) to drink/drive.I would lose 4 Licences if I was prosecuted for DUI.[/quote]

Implying that the DUI checkpoints arent a joke.[/quote]

I have been stopped at roadside checks quite a few times and after struggling with communication have been told to just “go” ! However I think the DUI issue,rightly,is going to be enforced properly in the future. A Policecar was hit whilst chasing a drunk driver recently,by another drunk driver :unamused:

If you are the boss, or a senior employee, it is simply shocking that one did not ensure, through direct supervision, that one’s underlings were well and truly plastered before they even had the wherewithal to even clock one’s absence, let alone one’s hasty departure.

Rule of Command 4.2:
Never be seen arriving or leaving.
If necessary, plaster the underlings to ensure this effect.

That’s what I always did, many years ago.
As a young Junior Officer, with troops trained to kill.
No doubt my judgement is biased, but it can always be adjusted, or dumbed down, for civvies.
:bow:

Implying that the DUI checkpoints arent a joke.[/quote]

They are no joke, and the limit has been revised down again. Check the students story for DUI, and of course the recent hit and run case resulting in a fatality for which a foreigner (rightly/wrongly) was sentenced to 4 years in prison.