Could China and Taiwan compete together in 2012?
- Yes, no reason why not, some people are too distrustful of China
- Yes, if a satisfactory Taiwan autonomy agreement is reached first
- It isn’t possible to know the situation four years from now
- That could never happen on Taiwan’s terms
- Taiwan’s identity is strong enough to resist the possibility
- No way in hell - China would have to bomb us first
An August 20th press release from research agency TNS Taiwan entitled “Most Taiwanese disagree Taiwan has home field advantage in the 2008 Beijing Olympics - A study of over 26,000 Internet users reveals that a majority of Taiwanese feel their athletes are playing away from home” says that “most Taiwanese do not feel their athletes are on home field competing in the 2008 Olympic Games in Beijing… …68% of 26,435 internet users polled responded negatively to the question, “Do you feel Taiwan is on home field competing in the Beijing Olympic Games?” Only 13% responded positively, with 19% saying they didn’t know.”
The whole press release has been posted at asiafinest.com/forum/lofiver … 71514.html
One of the people responding to that post says “it is rather pity…but this is the result of a “Straits Wall” similar to Berlin Wall which separate a people… What to expect… Anyway I was thinking maybe next time China and Taiwan can join together in one delegation, like how NKorea and SKorea did it under a united flag and name… Something can be thought for China-Taiwan… I hope maybe next time, perhaps in 2012.”
Four years from now? China and Taiwan under a united flag? Unfounded nightmare or possibility?