Taiwanese food sucks!

Tonnes of fruit and veg markets all over Taiwan talk about moaning over nothing…

People grow and eat their own local food all over Taiwan it’s really really common.

2 Likes

There are , without doubt, some tasty offerings in Taiwan . Part of the issue for me is the bone, shell that is part of the norm . I enjoy prawns, lobster , chicken , beef , but prefer to be able to swallow the good bits without getting a mouthful of nasty bits and I also have little patience to remove shell etc . It’s messy and a pain . If one took a whole chicken and took the breast meat cuts and legs , I think most Taiwanese would enjoy gnawing away at the remnants … tastier .

1 Like

generally, meat around the bone is the best. it’s the way they cut it, that’s bothering.

i don’t mind having to cut or eat around a large single bone, such as chicken drumstick or t-bone style steak. but when you chop it up into 30 little pieces, you’re bound to have some small bone splinters in your mouth.

anyways, skinless deboned chicken breast is about the worst. i don’t know why this is the norm for western supermarkets. hate those things.

At the end of the day there is no right or wrong I suppose . What we eat between the ages of 10 and 20 seems to determine our preferences . You can appreciate different cuisines , but tend to favour what you were brought up eating .

1 Like

i was under the impression all tastes are acquired, as i’ve acquired many new tastes here. soup, tofu, green tea, red beans, fatty meat, ma la, dou jiang. its a bunch of stuff i didn’t like and didn’t really want to eat when i first came but now its all up there with my faves.

2 Likes

Hmm. I was raised vegetarian, and I’m a meat lover now.

Cannibal.

I’m mostly a porketarian…oh, and goat.

Sorry to hear that.

1 Like

I’ve actually made peace with it. If I’d grown up eating meat I’d probably be much bigger than I am now. I’m pretty happy with my size.

That’s what she said.

She didn’t actually say anything, but I could tell by her expression. :grin:

Same with myself, had never eaten any of that stuff.
I think a lot of Asians don’t understand how different and strange the food is to non Asians. EVen the textures are extremely challenging. And yet one can get used to almost anything eventually.

1 Like

Not sure I agree with that. I grew up with meat and three veg, but as I get older have become much more adventurous with food.

1 Like

I have yet to get on board much with fatty pork but I will try all the fried cho doufu I find.

You have literally no idea of what you are missing. It it GOOD. Deep fried stinky tofu is good as long as it’s not the boiled one.

I had some yummy pork belly back home, but it was usually sliced thin and put in a sandwich of some sort. When I see it here I just doesn’t look appetizing. i guess I just don’t appreciate solid fat as much as others. Same for fatty fowl skin.

It’s interesting how those of us from “the west” are evidently from very different “wests.” In my home country, Chinese have been there before it officially became a country! The range and quality of ingredients matches or exceeds what is available here (except for the veggies, which really are something else here in Taiwan). So my take on food in Taiwan is often quite critical as the preparation, execution, and over all skill level (both steaming and frying with a wok–don’t get me started on boiled vegetables here) are highly uneven and in many instances seriously inferior to what’s available back home.

Oddly I find myself more satisfied with the coffee shops and some of the baking here in Taipei as this is really where the passion of young people can be found!

Guy

You don’t know what you’re talking about. I can take you to a restaurant where you will want to eat it until you actually feel to vomit all that fat.

2 Likes

This one for example is a nice place where to find good stuff:

https://www.google.com/maps/place/老頭擺客家菜/@24.6841708,121.0542053,3a,75y,90t/data=!3m8!1e2!3m6!1sAF1QipMtsvijfSPa-N1zXbjKKctM4LPXUxVi9lB_oW9G!2e10!3e12!6shttps:%2F%2Flh5.googleusercontent.com%2Fp%2FAF1QipMtsvijfSPa-N1zXbjKKctM4LPXUxVi9lB_oW9G%3Dw151-h86-k-no!7i1920!8i1088!4m8!1m2!2m1!1srestaurant!3m4!1s0x346848b8ffffffff:0x8e0ad54609803ef7!8m2!3d24.6841708!4d121.0542053