Taiwanese food sucks!

Seems like there’s still a bit of debate on this one.

And instead of MSG companies use yeast extracts now.

“Yeast extract contains glutamates, which are forms of an amino acid that are found naturally in many foods. They’re sometimes extracted and used as additives to prepared food. This product is commonly known as monosodium glutamate (MSG). Yeast extract contains naturally occurring glutamates, but not as much as MSG.”

Well, that’s part of your usual metabolism, so you won’t be losing more weight if you aren’t also doing something about controlling food intake and burning fat.

I disagree. Look at the medical journals…but sadly I don’t have time for a lengthy internet debate with strangers

Noted. I make no claims about adverse health effects, but I know it makes my mouth tingle when I eat food with lots of MSG added. This has also been observed in a number of studies.

What do you think about claims that recent studies have proven that pork fat is a healthier option than most vegetable oils? Is that valid or still up for debate?

1 Like

It’s healthier than hydrogenated (trans) fat.

Well, trans fat induces cancer, so it’s a given. I’m talking about how pork fat and vegetable compare when it comes to heart and other health issues.

I think they are false. Animal fats are very unhealthy. Coconut oil was just added to the same category. We have know this for years and have mostly switched over to vegetable oil. A lot of these claims seems to run inline with people pushing the keto diet. Without getting into that debate…I find it really hard to listen to people who tell me it’s healthier to eat animal fats than carbs from vegetables

Yes, I’ve read totally conflicting things about lard. Remain as confused as ever. I still tend to avoid lard when possible, and cook with olive oil at home.

We pretty much have the same thought on the subject, however, I have recently been getting into discussions with my friend in Australia, who is a medical doctor, and somehow she has completely flipped her opinion and claims vegetable oils and the solvents used in their production is much more unhealthy than lard…

Actually, there is now conflicting evidence that vegetable oils are the ones causing trouble, and we are going back to butter, lard and animal based fats as healthier options.

The worse combination is fats and sugars, that is a given. Transfats are killers, so out with them.

But vegetables per se are an important part of any diet. I haven´t seen anything claiming that vegetables are bad for you or worse than fats. Sugars are bad. They are the new evil.

For example, rice is not a vegetable, but a starch and mostly sugar, hence, not too healthy. Moreover, it does not have the kind of nutrients, minerals and vitamins that say even a carrot, or a beet, which also have sugars, contain.

Best of all for a healthy diet are green veggies. Fried potatoes are not a veggie.

Um, that’s not true.

No real evidence one way or the other myself, but I know when I was a kid I’d have asthma attacks after eating food heavy in MSG. I’m willing to believe it was something else entirely, though. All I can say it would generally happen after eating Chinese take out.

Are not vegetables.

I feel really thirsty a couple of hours after eating at Formosa Chang’s. The pattern repeats. I kinda like the thirst I get, slamming a soft drink down tastes really good. But it is definitely not health food, even if they chuck in a green veg here or there…

I disagree. There have been large clinical trials using placebos. They’ve proven even a sensitivity is all psychological.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16999713

https://www.jacionline.org/article/S0091-6749(97)80008-5/abstract

You disagree that I had asthma attacks as a kid after eating Chinese food?

They certainly are.

Merriam-Webster definition:
a usually herbaceous plant (such as the cabbage, bean, or potato) grown for an edible part that is usually eaten as part of a meal

By the same definition, rice and bread should also be considered vegetables as rice and wheat are also herbaceous.