Taiwanese food sucks!

The taste buds…especially the ones way at the back of my throat.

I have zero idea what you’re talking about.

Cinema. Art cinema to be precise.

He’s what we call in Spanish el papa de los tomates in cinematography. What they study at film school is his work.

Uhhhh…and???

Jesus there’s enough cilantro there to accompany the Loaves and the Fishes !

1 Like

Well that having such a big shot shooting your friggin food program is quite a thing, even if you don’t agree.

I agree with you in despising “locals” who know nothing about cuisine guiding the so called mass media experts. But then on YouTube you find much worse stuff. I have yet to find a proper culinary guide to Taipei that doe snot hit the same old spots - and dishes.

I am guilty of participating on several shots on this topic. That tells you a lot, as my acting skills are attrocious. But they give you very little to work with. How many yummy sounds can you make about beef noodles?

1 Like

I’ll tell you the SECRET.
A lot of the best food isn’t cooked in the restaurants.
Home cooking man with the three burners going and amah and agong and the ayis…Superheroes of the kitchen.

Caveat…Mostly out in the sticks.

5 Likes

Too true…and basically the only reason I haven’t starved to death.

I should have steered clear of this thread. So hungry now. That is a bowl of Japanese noodles in spicy soup. Two big pieces of fatty pork in there too. The cilantro adds some extra good taste.

I had a tiny lunch and then a snack of sugar free yogurt. Almost there. Beer waiting in the fridge for me. Wife is making dien jang chigge (Korean soup). No cilantro but I’ll throw in some spicy green peppers to wake up the taste buds.

2 Likes

Wait, you mean it wasn’t…punishment??

1 Like

Talking about spicy Korean stuff, there is a hole in the wall place near my house, their Korean style spicy chicken is awesome.

Same with a really crappy looking place near the Cardinal Tien hospital. The food is scrumptious even if the place looks about to fall on you.

1 Like

That’s my big complaint.
All the soups and dishes are just loaded with noodles and sauce with meat and with one or two small veggies in there for show.

So unhealthy

Well in the ol country a soup is a pot full of beef in its bonecooked with veggies of all kinds, greens, roots, etc. so thick your spoon can’t get through. yet I can appreciate a nice rame, some tza ya mien. helthy it is not, agree.

I think I need to pay a visit to this ‘ol country’ one day

Sounds amazing

2nd caveat. Must listen to Taiwanese (台語) banter all night

At a quick strir fry shop it is fun.

¿Qué es esto?

1 Like

Ramen. Got a couple of places that really hit the spot on a cold day.

Tza yang mien - the ones with the minced meat and tofu braised in soy sauce.

Ah, 炸醬麵 (zha jiang mian). One of my favorites if done properly.

1 Like