Taiwanese food sucks!

I immediately made sure she wasn’t talking about Thailand.

Seriously. I’ve never been able to bring myself to eat the Taiwanese version of Oyster Omelette. The Singaporean dry version is the best.

Song-Kee-fried-oyster

3 Likes

Looks pretty gross too, tbh.

Taiwanese food is grey muck. Just because you sprinkled some spring onion on the top doesn’t make it less mucky.
And the next Youtube video I see about the delicious “famous” night market food, I’m going to create a thousand accounts and downvote it.

3 Likes

You guys should know you are the minority. Just sayin’.

4 Likes

Both look good to me. But I use Tabasco sauce instead of that sugary red crap.

If you grew up on the stuff, you probably like it. That’s the import factor here. I don’t know anyone who prefers Taiwanese food over the food they grew up on.

2 Likes

Do you have a graph showing that more people like it now than in the past? Or one showing that people like Taiwanese food more than other kinds? If not, I can’t take you seriously.

3 Likes

I don’t, but this is not the only platform where people discuss food in Taiwan. On reddit people really like Taiwanese food, for example, and I am not referring to r/taiwan.

But the haters are very loud around here so whatever, you do you.

1 Like

Of course we are. We didn’t grow up eating rotten tofu, chicken chopped up on sidewalks and farmed oysters that were fed on toilet effluence. But, hey, enjoy your filthy grey food. Each to his own.

In as far as home cooking, I do, on the whole.

1 Like

I guess your wife is a better cook than your mom?

Not so! My mom was an amazing cook. Maybe I’ve just grown accustomed to it.

1 Like

Just to check, has COVID affected your sense of taste…?

2 Likes

That’s last year. Give me some fresh meat, rice, and vegetables, well cooked and seasoned, and I’m a happy man. A lot of other things give me agita now.

I just haven’t found many places able to do this, is all. Soggy and tasteless seems to be the default

3 Likes

I have been really happy abut food in Taiwan when I was there - definitely better value than in Europe or especially US.
Yes I also think 70-80% of the restaurants/stalls just sell yucky crap - but you can get nice food up from 150ntd for a meal. Can only get Kebab/Gyros or maybe Pizza for that money in Europe or junk food in the US…

Even compared to average salary I would say Taiwan food isn’t too bad.
Yes usually I spent about 400-500ntd/person per meal - but for that if you look around reviews/friends/Michelin guide you get really nice food - good quality ingredients and well prepared. I would need to spend twice or more of that money in Europe for similar food.

Taiwan has great foreign food restaurants too - plenty of cheap Vietnamese or Thai places - and even Italian restaurants are cheap and good with quality imported ingredients. Heck a Pizza with flown in buffalo mozarella is usually cheaper than anywhere outside of Italy. Even some gourmet Italian restaurants with flown in bufallo buratta and so on are more than decently priced.

Can easily avoid all that mushy/saucy crap food that also exists.

4 Likes

Well, same with me and Cantonese food in Hong Kong. I find the “indigenous” food there shitty and extremely overpriced. But the wife makes some really yummy dishes.

2 Likes

Cheap, yes. Good, no. I used to live in Thailand and used to date a Vietnamese girl, so really it is my fault for knowing what these things should be like

3 Likes

Neither have I :slight_smile: Hence, “as far as home cooking”

1 Like