Taiwanese guys opinion of Taiwanese born Americans?

I’m really curious as to what Taiwanese guys think of Taiwanese born American (like myself)? Like, I honestly think that they avoid me like the plague for some reason-- it’s kind of upsetting. My Chinese isn’t THAT bad but it could definitely be improved. For example, there are some phrases I want to say in Chinese but I don’t know the vocabulary for so I say it in English. It might just be me but I think making in friends in Taiwan is probably one of the hardest things to do-- they might not be good at English but I know my Chinese isn’t that great either. What do you guys think? Any insight on how I can improve my chances in making friends in Taiwan? (so I don’t have to go everywhere by myself… damn, that sounds depressing)

Are you asking for dating prospects, Kim?

If so, traditional type guys may be intimidated by your American-ness (or perceived American-ness), but there are probably enough modern types who see it as a positive.

Maybe they avoid you not because your Chinese is not good enough, but rather out of fear you may not understand their English.

Oh, thanks for informing telling me. :slight_smile: Though, I don’t really care if it’s dating or not… normal friendship is good enough!

But do does anyone know a good way to make friends? It really does seem impossible to befriend people in Taiwan…

I’m like what you said, a Taiwanese guy. I don’t think that’s That hard to make friends here. For younger generations (like under 50 ?!), people are OK , or I can say glad to have friends from all over the world, but like formosaobama said, sometimes language would be the main problem to both sides, especially the local ones.

For example, while facing people from other countries, the first thing most of us would think is "Oh, i don’t know if my English is good enough to have a chat with this guy " rather than “Oh, I guess this guy may be able to speak Chinese.” , and then we start trying to avoid having conversations with you so that we won’t be embarrassed because of poor English. So in my opinion, since you are a TBA, I assume that you have a foreign looking(for locals), I think you can try to speak as much chinese as possible whenever you meet potential friends, at least let them know that you are able to communicate with each other.

I don’t know if you are now a student or not, if you are, I think keep on speaking chinese to others would help you to make friends. If you are not, join your Taiwanese co-workers to some places like 熱炒店 or KTV or 火鍋店 would be a good way to get chances to make friends.

All in all, improving your chinese could be the best way to make Taiwanese friends. 加油! :wink:

I have a similar problem being Asian American in Taiwan. People assume my native language is Chinese, and when they find out that I don’t have a perfect vocabulary, they start treating me like a child. I think you just have to stick with it. Converse with your coworkers more and see where that leads. I don’t know how you are socially in Taiwan, but if you don’t talk, no one is going to talk to you. I had a pretty hard time at first, but it’s much better now. Ironically in America, people assume I speak engirish.

They also might just be intimidated by your appearance (assuming “Taiwanese born American” means you’re white).

Yeah, like… are you saying you’re an American born in Taiwan? Or are you saying you were born here but raised in the US? (That’s me, but to make things easier, people call me ABC.) I’m confused… either way… I’m just a little baffled why there are so many posts here about people not being able to make friends. Why not start with your co-workers as suggested? I wouldn’t say I have many friends, but the ones I do have are quality. Just gotta meet people, and they take you to meet more people, so on so forth. Eventually you find people you click with.

Oh yeah, and if you’re a girl, please keep the Cali valley girl accent on the DL. I was on the bus, behind me were some ABC girls that knew how to speak Chinese as they did so in some sentences, but they’d throw in some really annoying American girl speak… “Laik… realleh!” I thought, thank goodness shida stop is 3 mins away, so they can get off and I can have my peaceful bus ride after a long day at the buxiban. But noooo, they got off at gongguan. I had to stand there and listen to them whine to each other in American for 10 minutes. I turned my face to see what they looked like, flat nosed, little eyed, plain looking ABCs. They looked more hard core Asian than half the Taiwanese girls on the bus but a million times more annoying. Sure, I coulda told them to shut the f up and get off the bus myself. But, I would have to pay for another bus ride not to mention wait for another one. They weren’t THAT annoying. Now that begs the question, if they were White or good looking Chinese girls… would that have been any better? … … … … :ponder: … nah.

Haha that’s funny. Annoying ugly chicks with an attitude and a sense of entitlement are the worst.

Stereotypical views of Taiwanese Americans raised in the states (regardless of birth place) of the same age is not great (especially of guys). But once they got to know you, hopefully they won’t view you in those terms (unless you somehow re-enforced it).

But let’s say if a Taiwanese American is more like early David Tao (fluent Mandarin or Taiwanese), it’s more favorable than say early years of Leehom Wang (can’t form a complete sentence other than English). Since you are Taiwanese American, I am going to assume you know the references.

Blank stare around the office when I try to engage the locals in idle friendly banter.

If you become a NBA star, they’ll suddenly think you are Taiwanese regardless of your Chinese ability :slight_smile: … I have similar experiences; I have found that many Taiwanese guys are very sensitive. Just the other day I up set one by going to play basketball without calling him. But anyways, I’ve met others who are more balanced and we’re still friends. I never speak English with Taiwanese people unless they speak English to me; that takes care of language barriers pretty quickly. I suggest doing the same (if you can’t become a NBA star).

Just a slight language barrier. Same for me when I grew up in the USA kids at school didnt want to talk to me because I couldn’t speak English when I first arrived. Don’t give up and just keep trying. Treat the obstacle as a stepping stone.

Stupid question.

if you go to French, and talk to the locals in english, do you think they would then try to use english to response your conversation? If i went to america and had to say something in english but my english isn’t very good and started talking in some chinese and how do you think they will response? How about people who moved to america and can’t talk good english?

Just because you are an merican born hot shot doesn’t mean you are above everyone else.

GO figure.