Taiwanese Immigration Test - Translation Issues

[quote=“cranky laowai”]Many thanks for all of these posts, bismarck. :notworthy:

Off-topic question: What are you using to produce the Pinyin?[/quote]
I’m using MDBG Chinese-English. They’re good for the pinyin, but I’ve found their translation is very dodgy and often makes no coherent sense in English. So you’re on your own in that area…

Most of the time the meaning is fairly straight forward, even if you aren’t familiar with all the characters (although the site does give you individual character meanings which helps - A LOT!), but I also use my trusty dictionaries, friends, wife, colleagues, adult students and the patient help of Ironlady and sjcma on here.

Once I’m finished with it all (hopefully the end of the week - because I need to write the test soon!!!) I’ll post the whole lot on a separate thread somewhere to help everyone who needs to do this test.

Edit: for me the biggest challenge has been that I’m fairly fluent in everyday reading, writing and speaking, but none of this stuff comes even close to being conversational… Unless you’re discussing politics, military service, the social welfare system etc with someone!
And doing all this has made me realise two things:
A. My Chinese is abysmal. I need to widen my study net a lot more, or rather, I need to take the next step, i.e more than just conversational (everyday dull topics etc) Chinese.
B. I really enjoy doing this stuff, thinking about the meanings etc and talking to people about it. I’d like to improve my Chinese significantly and maybe apply for further studies into translation sometime in the future…

And while we’re on the topic, here’s the next section: Domestic Violence Protection Section

[quote]家庭暴力防治類 (Domestic Violence Prevention Section)
Jiātíngbàolì fángzhì lèi

1. 有家庭暴力事件發生時,哪些單位可以協助您向法院聲請保護令?
    Yǒu jiātíngbàolì shìjiàn fāshēng shí, nǎxiē dānwèi kěyǐ xiézhù nín xiàng fǎyuàn shēng qǐng bǎohù lìng?
    In the event of an incident of domestic violence, which units can provide you with assistance to appeal to a court of law for a protection order?

(1)直轄市、縣(市)政府家庭暴力及性侵害防治中心
Zhíxiáshì, xiàn (shì) zhèngfǔ jiātíngbàolì jí xìngqīnhài fángzhì zhōngxīn
Municipalities, counties (city) government domestic violence and sexual assault prevention centers
(2)直轄市、縣(市)政府警察局、派出所
Zhíxiáshì, xiàn (shì) zhèngfǔ jǐngchájú, pàichūsuǒ
Municipalities, counties (city) government police stations, local police stations
(3)以上都可以
答案:(3)以上都可以

1. 有家庭暴力事件發生時,可以向法院聲請什麼?
    Yǒu jiātíngbàolì shìjiàn fāshēng shí, kěyǐ xiàng fǎyuàn shēng qǐng shénme?
    In the event of an incident of domestic violence, what can you ask a court of law to issue?

(1)保護令
Bǎohù lìng
A Protection Order
(2)訴訟狀
Sùsòng zhuàng
Accept a lawsuit
答案:(1)保護令

1. 有家庭暴力事件發生時,可以向哪個機關聲請保護令?
    Yǒu jiātíngbàolì shìjiàn fāshēng shí, kěyǐ xiàng nǎge jīguān shēng qǐng bǎohù lìng?
    In the event of domestic violence, to which office can you direct a request for a protection order?

(1)衛生所
Wèishēng suǒ
Health office
(2)區公所
Qū gōng suǒ
District Office
(3)法院
Fǎyuàn
A court of law
答案:(3)法院

1. 如果你遭受到家庭暴力時,可以撥打哪些提供多國語言服務的專線電話?
    Rúguǒ nǐ zāoshòu dào jiātíngbàolì shí, kěyǐ bō dǎ nǎxiē tígōng duōguó yǔyán fúwù de zhuānxiàn diànhuà?
    If you are subjected to domestic violence, which telephone number can you call that provides a multi-language service?

(1)「113」婦幼保護專線
(113) Fù yòu bǎohù zhuānxiàn
(113) Women and children’s protection hotline
(2)「0800-088-885」愛護外籍配偶專線
(0800-088-885) Àihù wàijí pèiǒu zhuānxiàn
(0800-088-885) Foreign spouse protection hotline
(3)以上都可以
[/quote]

Ok, with this one I have little to no idea what it’s about, specifically the highlighted bits…

I’m not familiar with property registrations etc, so not really sure what the hell it means…

Edit: I’ve translated it as: “If you want to apply for a land (building) registration transcript or a transcript for proof of land, to which office can you direct your application?”
But I don’t think it’s quite right…

土地建物登記謄本 = Copy of land and building registration.
地價謄本等證明 = Copy of certificate of land value, etc.

[quote=“sjcma”]土地建物登記謄本 = Copy of land and building registration.
地價謄本等證明 = Copy of certificate of land value, etc.[/quote]
Thanks! That will be a great help… :notworthy:

The next section is pretty short: The Land Section.

[quote]地政類 (Land Section)
Dìzhèng lèi

1. 要申請土地建物登記謄本或是地價謄本等證明,可以向哪一個機關申請?
    Yāo shēnqǐng tǔdì jiàn wù dēngjì téng běn huòshì dì jià téng běn děng zhèngmíng, kěyǐ xiàng nǎyīge jīguān shēnqǐng?
    If you want to apply for a copy of land and building registration or a copy of certificate of land value, to which office can you direct your application?

(1)戶政事務所
Hùzhèng shìwùsuǒ
Household registration office
(2)地政事務所
Dìzhèng shìwùsuǒ
Land office
(3)區公所
Qū gōng suǒ
District Office
答案:(2)地政事務所

1. 土地買賣簽約後,應在幾個月內到地政事務所辦理產權移轉登記,以免逾期受罰?
    Tǔdì mǎimài qiānyuē hòu, yīng zài jǐgeyuè nèi dào dì zhèng shìwùsuǒ bànlǐ chǎnquán yí zhuǎn dēngjì, yǐmiǎn yú qī shòu fá?
    After signing a land sale contract, within how many months should the land transfer be registered in your name at the Land Office, in order to avoid exceeding the period of time in which you can be penalized?

(1)1個月內
(2)2個月內
(3)3個月內
答案:(1)1個月內

1. 被繼承人死亡,繼承人應於被繼承人死亡之日起幾個月內到地政事務所辦理繼承登記,以免逾期受罰?
    Bèi jìchéngrén sǐwáng, jìchéngrén yīng yú bèi jìchéngrén sǐwáng zhī rì qǐ jǐgeyuè nèi dào dì zhèng shìwùsuǒ bànlǐ jìchéng dēngjì, yǐmiǎn yú qī shòu fá?
    In the event of a death (of an “ancestor”) within how many months should the heir (of property) handle the registration of property (transfer of property to the heir’s name) at the Land Administration Office in order to avoid a penalty?

(1)6個月內
(2)9個月內
(3)12個月內
答案:(1)6個月內
[/quote]

Just my take on the translation…

Tǔdì mǎimài qiānyuē hòu, yīng zài jǐgeyuè nèi dào dì zhèng shìwùsuǒ bànlǐ chǎnquán yí zhuǎn dēngjì, yǐmiǎn yú qī shòu fá?
    After signing a land sale contract, within how many months should the land transfer be registered in your name at the Land Office, in order to avoid [strike]exceeding the period of time in which you can be penalized[/strike] [color=#0040BF]a late penalty[/color]?

2. 被繼承人死亡,繼承人應於被繼承人死亡之日起幾個月內到地政事務所辦理繼承登記,以免逾期受罰?
    Bèi jìchéngrén sǐwáng, jìchéngrén yīng yú bèi jìchéngrén sǐwáng zhī rì qǐ jǐgeyuè nèi dào dì zhèng shìwùsuǒ bànlǐ jìchéng dēngjì, yǐmiǎn yú qī shòu fá?
    In the event of a death (of an “ancestor”) within how many months should the heir (of property) handle the registration of property (transfer of property to the heir’s name) at the Land Administration Office in order to avoid a penalty?

[color=#0040BF]Upon the death of a predecessor, within how many months after the date of death should the heir register the inheritance (of land) at the Land Administration Office in order to avoid a late penalty?[/color]

[quote=“sjcma”]Just my take on the translation…

After signing a land sale contract, within how many months should the land transfer be registered in your name at the Land Office, in order to avoid [strike]exceeding the period of time in which you can be penalized[/strike] [color=#0040BF]a late penalty[/color]?

2. 被繼承人死亡,繼承人應於被繼承人死亡之日起幾個月內到地政事務所辦理繼承登記,以免逾期受罰?

[color=#0040BF]Upon the death of a predecessor, within how many months after the date of death should the heir register the inheritance (of land) at the Land Administration Office in order to avoid a late penalty?[/color][/quote]
I think I’ll use that. Your version is more concise. Thanks. :wink:

Here’s the Health Section…

[quote]全民健保及醫療類 (National Health Insurance and Medical Section)
Quánmín jiàn bǎo jí yīliáo lèi

1. 外籍人士領有居留證明文件且無工作者,自在台居留滿多久起,應參加全民健康保險?
    Wàijí rénshì lǐng yǒu jūliú zhèngmíngwénjiàn qiě wú gōngzuòzhě, zìzai tái jūliú mǎn duōjiǔ qǐ, yīng cānjiā quánmín jiànkāngbǎǒxian?
    Foreign residents with proof of residence documents and non-workers (unemployed), should participate in National Health Insurance after they have freely resided in Taiwan for how long,?

(1)4個月起
(2)6個月起
(3)7個月起 答案:(1)4個月起

1. 外籍人士無工作,又不符合以眷屬身分參加全民健康保險者,可以到哪裡加保?
    Wàijí rénshì wú gōngzuò, yòu bùfúhé yǐ juànshǔ shēnfèn cānjiā quánmín jiànkāngbǎoxiǎn zhě, kěyǐ dào nǎlǐ jiā bǎo?
    Unemployed foreign nationals, who are also unable to participate in National Health Insurance through a family member, where can they get (health) insurance?

(1)居留地的鄉、鎮、市、區公所
Jūliú dì de xiāng, zhèn, shì, qū gōng suǒ
Rural residence, town, city, District Office
(2)居留地的戶政事務所
Jūliú dì de hùzhèng shìwùsuǒ
Place of residence’s household registration office
(3)居留地的衛生所
Jūliú dì de wèishēngsuǒ
Place of residence’s health office
答案:(1)居留地的鄉、鎮、市、區公所

1. 國民符合參加全民健康保險的資格,是不是有義務參加全民健康保險?
    Guómín fúhé cānjiā quánmín jiànkāngbǎoxiǎn de zīgé, shìbùshì yǒu yìwù cānjiā quánmín jiànkāngbǎoxiǎn?
    In keeping with national qualifications for participation in National Health Insurance, are you obligated to participate in National Health Insurance?

(1)是
(2)不是
答案:(1)是

1. 如果你參加全民健康保險後,在國外緊急就醫,回國後,可不可以提出證明文件向健保局申請退還醫療費用?
    Rúguǒ nǐ cānjiā quánmín jiànkāngbǎoxiǎn hòu, zài guówài jǐnjí jiùyī, huíguó hòu, kě bùkěyǐ tíchū zhèngmíngwénjiàn xiàng jiàn bǎo jú sjēnqǐng tuìhuán yīliáo fèiyòng?
    If you participate in National Health Insurance, and if you have emergency medical treatment abroad, on return to Taiwan, can you put forward documentary proof to the Health Office to apply for a reimburesement for that medical treatment?

(1)可以
(2)不可以
答案:(1)可以

1. 如果你是屬於健保重大傷病就醫時,提憑重大傷病證明卡是不是就醫免部分負擔費用?
    Rúguǒ nǐ shì shǔyú jiàn bǎo zhòngdà shāng bìng jiùyī shí, tí píng zhòngdà shāng bìng zhèngmíng kǎ shìbùshì jiùyī miǎn bùfèn fùdān fèiyòng?
    If you have health insurance for medical treatment for when you have a major injury or sickness, and you carry your insurance card as proof, can you receive medical treatment and be subsidised for part of the cost?

(1)是
(2)不是

1. 要詢問有關全民健康保險的問題,可以向哪個機關詢問?
    Yāo xúnwèn yǒuguān quánmín jiànkāngbǎoxiǎn de wèntí, kěyǐ xiàng nǎge xúnwèn?
    If you have any questions regarding National Health Insurance, to which office can you direct your inquiries?

(1)戶政事務所
Hùzhèng shìwùsuǒ
(2)中央健康保險局
Zhōngyāng jiànkāngbǎoxiǎn jú
Bureau of National Health Insurance
(3)社會福利機關
Shèhuì fúlì jīguān
Social Welfare Agency
答案:(2)中央健康保險局

1. 到醫療院所看病的時候,是不是記得要帶健保卡?
    Dào yīliáo yuàn suǒ kànbìng deshíhòu, shìhùshì jìde yào dài jiàn bǎo kǎ?
    When you go see a doctor at a medical institution, must you remember to bring your health insurance card?

(1)是
(2)不是

1. 看小病的時候,可以到診所或衛生所;看重大疾病的時候,就要到大型醫院,對不對?
    Kàn xiǎo bìng deshíhòu, kěyǐ dào zhěnsuǒ huò wèishēng suǒ, kàn zhòngdà jíbìng deshíhòu, jiùyào dào dàxíng yīyuàn, duìbùduì?
    When you have a minor illness, you can go to a health clinic or a health institution; when you have a major illness, you will go to a large hospital, right?

(1)對
(2)不對
答案:(1)對

1. 下列哪個機關可以提供各種健康服務及諮詢?
    Xiàliè nǎge jīguān kěyǐ tígōng gèzhǒng jiànkāng fúwù jí zīxún?
    Which of the following establishments can supply you with various kinds of health srvices and consultations?

(1)戶政事務所
Hùzhèng shìwùsuǒ
(2)區公所
Qū gōng suǒ
District Office
(3)衛生所
Wèishēng suǒ
Health institutions
答案:(3)衛生所

1. 什麼地方可以提供幼兒接受預防接種注射(打預防針)或身體檢查?
    Shénme dìfang kěyǐ tígōng yòuér jiēshòu yùfángjiēzhòng zhùshè (dǎ yùfáng zhēn) huò shēntǐ jiǎnchá?
    Which place provides children with prophylactic inoculation injections (vaccinations) or health examinations?

(1)里鄰長辦公室
Lǐ lín zhǎng bànggōngshì
Village elder’s (Chief) office
(2)區公所
Qū gōng suǒ
District Office
(3)全國各地衛生所或預防接種合約醫院診所
Quánguógèdì wèishēng suǒ huò yùfángjiēzhòng héyuē yīyuàn zhěnsuǒ
Health institutions or vaccination clinics (vaccination contract hospital clinics) throughout the country
答案:(3)全國各地衛生所或預防接種合約醫院診所

1. 預防腸病毒的最好方法是什麼?
    Yùfáng chángbìngdú de zuìhǎo fāngfǎ shì shénme?
    What is the best method to prevent enteroviruses?

(1)常洗手
Cháng xǐshǒu
Wash your hands often
(2)多運動
Duō yùndòng
Exercise more
(3)睡眠充足
Shuìmián chōngzú
Get adequate sleep
答案:(1)常洗手

1. 未滿18歲的人可不可以去便利商店買菸酒?
    Wèi mǎn 18 suì de rén kě bùkěyǐ qù biànlìshāngdiàn mǎi yān jiǔ?
    Can people under the age of 18 go to convenience stores to buy cigarettes or alcohol?

(1)可以
(2)不可以
答案:(2)不可以
[/quote]
This section seemed to go much quicker and easier than the ones before. Not sure if that is because I understood it better or if my translation is cockeyed…

Since about question 115/120 I’ve switched to using the Pinyin Builder which (from a link somewhere on the 'Mosa) I downloaded. Basically you input pinyin with 1, 2, 3 or 4 for the tones and press enter for it to input the pinyin with tones unto whatever you’re using as a word processing application.
I’ve found that this goes much quicker and helps you learn the tones as you go…

I’ve seen 衛生所 translated as “health station” but also as “health center”. I think “center” sounds better.

Would “health office” be better? My wife says it definitely isn’t “health center”. :idunno: She says a health center is larger.

The next section: Employment Section

[quote]就業類 (Employment Section)
Jiùyè lèi

1. 取得外僑居留證的外籍配偶,如果想要工作,須不須要申請工作許可?
    Qǔdé wàiqiáo jūliúzhèng de wàijí pèiǒu, rúguǒ xiǎngyào gōngzuò, xū bù xūyào shēngqǐng gōngzuò xǔkě?
    To obtain a residence permit for spouses of foreign residents, if they want to work, do they need to apply for a work permit?

(1)須要
(2)不須要
答案:(2)不須要

1. 外籍配偶想要找工作,如果雇主因為他(她)沒有國民身分證就拒絕僱用,可以向哪些單位求助?
    Wàijí péiǒu xiǎngyào zhǎo gōngzuò, rúguǒ gùzhǔ yīnwèi tā (tā) méiyǒu guómín shēnfènzhèng jiù jùjué gùyòng, kěyǐ xiàng nǎxiē dānwèi qiúzhù?
    Foreign spouses who want to look for work, if an employer refuses to hire him (her) because he (her) doesn’t have a national ID Card, at which labour unit can they request help?

(1)公立就業服務中心
Gōnglì jiùyè fúwùzhōngxīn
Public Employment Service Center
(2)縣(市)政府勞工局或社會局等勞工主管單位
Xiàn (shì) zhèngfǔ láogōng jú huò shèhuì jú děng láogōng zhǔguǎn dānwèi
County (city) government labour bureau or unit in charge of social affairs or labour
(3)以上都可以

1. 外籍配偶可以利用哪些方式找工作?
    Wàijí pèiǒu kěyǐ lìyòng nǎxiē fāngshì zhǎo gōngzuò?
    Foreign spouses can take advantage of which ways to find work?

(1)向公立就業服務中心詢問
Xiàng gōnglì jiùyè fúwùzhōngxīn xúnwèn
Direct enquiries to the Public Employment Service center
(2)撥打求職專線:0800-777-888
Bō dǎ qiúzhí zhuānxiàn: 0800-777-888
Call the employment hotline: 0800-777-888
(3)以上都可以

1. 外籍配偶找工作有困難時,可以尋求哪些協助方式?
    Wàijí pèiǒu zhǎo gōngzuò yǒu kùnnan shí, kěyǐ xúnqiú nǎxiē xiézhù fāngxhì?
    If foreign spouses have difficulties finding work, who can they approach for assistance?

(1)公立就業服務中心提供就業諮詢
Gōnglì jiùyè fúwùzhōngxīn tígōng jiùyè zīxún
Public employment Service cnter to provide employment consultation
(2)公立就業服務中心提供就業促進研習活動
Gōnglì jiùyè fúwùzhōngxīn tígōng jiùyè cùjìn yánxí huódòng
Public Employment Service Center to promote research and study activities
(3)各直轄市、縣(市)政府的勞工局或社會局等勞工主管單位提供就業諮詢、促進研習活動
Gè zhíxiáshì, xiàn (shì) zhèngfǔ de láogōng jú huò shèhuì jú děng láogōng zhǔguǎn dānwèi tígōng jiùyè zīxún, cùjìn yánxí huógòng
The municipality, county (city) Government’s labor bureau or unit in charge of social affairs and labor to provide employment advice and the promotion of learning activities
(4)以上都可以
答案:(4)以上都可以

1. 雇主僱用外籍人士時,可以收取保證金或扣留證件嗎?
    Gùzhǔ gùyòng wàijí rénshì shí, kěyǐ shōu qǔ bǎozhèngjīn huò kòuliú zhèngjiàn ma?
    When employers employ foreign nationals, may they (employers) retain a cash deposit or hold paperwork (like a passport etc) of the employee?

(1)可以
(2)不可以

1. 雇主僱用外籍人士時,雇主是否應該要為受僱的外籍人士投保勞保及健保?
    Gùzhǔ gùyòng wàijí rénshì shí, gùzhǔ shìfǒu yīnggāi yāo wéi shòugù de wàijí rénshì tóu bǎo láo bǎo jí jiàn bǎo?
    When employers employ foreign nationals, should the employer request employment of foreign nationals labour insurance and health insurance?

(1)是
(2)不是

1. 勞工就業遭受求職防騙的申訴管道為何?
    Láogōng jiùyè zāoshòu qiúzhí fáng piàn de shēnsù guǎndào wèihé?
    When workers are seeking employement, in order to guard against being cheated, which lines of appeal can the follow?

(1)向縣(市)政府勞工局等勞工主管單位申訴
Xiàng xiàn (shì) zhèngfǔ láogōng jú děng láogōng zhǔguǎn dānwèi shēnsù
To the county (city) government in charge of the Labor Bureau and other units of the labor appeals unit
(2)向縣(市)政府社會局等勞工主管單位申訴
Xiàng xiàn (shì) zhèngfǔ shèhuì jú děng láogōng zhǔguǎn dānwèi shēnsù
To the county (city) government unit in charge of social affairs and labor complaints
(3)以上皆是
答案:(3)以上皆是

1. 為增加就業技能,勞工可以到哪些單位參加職業訓練?
    Wéi zēngjiā jiùyè jìnéng, láogōng kěyǐ dào nǎxiē dānwèi cānjiā zhíyè xùnliàn?
    To increase employment skills, where can workers go to participate in vocational training?

(1)職業訓練中心
Zhíyè xùnliàn zhōngxīn
Vocational Training center
(2)縣(市)政府勞工局或社會局等勞工主管單位
Xiàn (shì) zhèngfǔ láogōng jú huò shèhuì jú děng láogōng zhǔguǎn dānwèi
County (city) government labor bureau or unit in charge of social affairs and labor
(3)以上都可以

1. 勞工及雇主間所訂立之口頭或書面勞動契約有變更的時候,需要得到誰的同意?
    Láogōng jí gùzhǔ jiān suǒ dìnglì zhī kǒutóu huò shūmiàn láògōng qìyuē yǒu biàngēng deshíhòu, xūyào dédào shéi de tóngyì?
    Workers and employers, who entered into an oral or written employment contract that has been changed, need to get whose approval for the changes?

(1)勞工一方
Láogōng yīfāng
The worker
(2)雇主一方
Gùzhǔ yīfāng
The employer
(3)勞雇雙方
Láogù shuāngfāng
The employer and employee
答案:(3)勞雇雙方

1. 若勞工與雇主有所爭議時,可向哪一個機關申請協助調解?
    Ruò láǒgōngyu gùzhǔ yǒusuǒ zhēngyì shí, kě xiàng nǎyīge jīguān shēnqǐng xiézhù tiáojiě?
    If there is a labour dispute between employer and employee, to which organization can the apply to for mediation?

(1)法院
Fǎyuàn
Court
(2)警察局
Jǐngchájú
Police Department
(3)工作地的勞工局或社會局等勞工主管單位
Gōngzuò dì de láogōng jú huò shèhuì jú děng láogōng zhǔguǎn dānwèi
Workplace labour bureau or the department of social affairs and labour
答案:(3)工作地的勞工局或社會局等勞工主管單位

1. 勞工自民國94年7月1日以後進入適用勞動基準法之職場工作,雇主必須為勞工提繳每月工資至少百分之幾以上的退休金?
    Láogōng zì Mínguó 94 nián 7 yuè 1 rì yǐhòu jìnrù shìyòng láodòng jīzhǔn fǎ zhī zhíchǎng gōngzuò, gùzhǔ bìxū wèi láogōng tí jiǎo měiyuè gōngzī zhìshǎo bǎifēnzhī jǐ yǐshàng de tuìxiūjīn?
    Regarding worker’s who entered the workplace since July 1, 2005, after the application of the Labour Standards Law, employers need to contribute at least what percentage of a worker’s salary towards his pension?

(1)5﹪
(2)6﹪
(3)7﹪
答案:(2)6﹪

1. 目前在國內適用勞動基準法勞工的基本工資,每月是新臺幣多少元?
    Mùqián zài guónèi shìyòng láodòng jīzhǔn fǎ láogōng de jīběn gōngzī, měiyuè shì xīn tái bù duōshao yuán?
    At present, according to the domestic application of the Labor Standards Law, what is the minimum (basic) monthly salary?

(1)13840元
(2)14840元
(3)17280元
答案:(3)17280元

1. 老闆對於求職的人或是員工有就業歧視的情形,可以去哪裡申訴?
    Lǎǒban duìyú qiúzhí de rén huòshì yuángōng yǒu jiùyè qíshì de qíngxing, kěyǐ qù nǎlǐ shēnsù?
    Business owners (bosses) regarding job seekers and employees being discriminated against in the workplace, where can they go to make a complaint?

(1)事業單位(如:公司、工廠等)所在地的勞工局或社會局等勞工主管單位
Shìyè dānwèi (Rú: gōngsī, gōngchǎng děng) suǒzàidì de láogōng jú huò shèhuì jú děng láogōng zhǔguǎn dānwèi
Institutions (such as: companies, factories, etc.) under the jurisdiction of the Labor Bureau or the unit in charge of social affairs and labor
(2)直轄市、縣(市)政府民政業務主管機關
Zhíxiáshì, xiàn (shì) zhèngfǔ mín zhèng yèwù zhǔguǎnjīguān
Municipality, county (city) competent authority for businesses
(3)直轄市、縣(市)政府交通業務主管機關
Zhíxiáshì, xiàn (shì) zhèngfǔ jiāotōng yèwù zhǔguǎnjīguān
Municipality, county (city) competent authority for the Government’s transport services
答案:(1)事業單位(如:公司、工廠等)所在地的勞工局或社會局等勞工主管單位

1. 如果你想要找工作或接受職業訓練,可以向哪個機關詢問相關資訊?
    Rúguǒ nǐ xiǎngyào zhǎo gōngzuò huò jiēshòu zhíyè xùnliàn, kěyǐ xiàng nǎge jīguān xúnwèn xiāngguān zīxùn?
    If you want to look for work or receive occupational training, at which office can you enquire for relevant information?

(1)行政院衛生署或各直轄市、縣(市)政府的衛生局
Xíngzhèngyuàn wèishēngshǔ huò gè zhíxiáshì, xiàn (shì) zhèngfǔ de wèishēng jú
Department of Health or the municipality, county (city) Government Health Bureau
(2)行政院環境保護署或各直轄市、縣(市)政府的環保局
Xíngzhèngyuàn huánjìngbǎohù shǔ huò gè zhíxiáshì, xiàn (shì) zhèngfǔ de huánbǎojú
Environmental Protection Agency or the municipality, county (city) government’s Environmental Protection Agency
(3)行政院勞工委員會或各直轄市、縣(市)政府的勞工局或社會局等勞工主管單位
Xíngzhèngyuàn láogōng wěiyuánhuì huò gè zhíxiáshì, xiàn (shì) zhèngfǔ de láogōng jú huò shèhuì jú děng láogōng zhǔguǎn dānwèi
Council of Labor Affairs or the municipality, county (city) Government’s labor bureau or unit in charge of social affairs and labor
答案:(3)行政院勞工委員會或各直轄市、縣(市)政府的勞工局或社會局等勞工主管單位

1. 哪個機關可以免費提供國民求職登記服務、就業諮詢服務?
    Nǎge jīguān kěyǐ miǎnfèi tígōng guómín qiúzhí dēngjì fúwù, jiùyè zīxún fúwù?
    Which organization can provide free national job search registration services, and employment consultation services?

(1)行政院勞工委員會
Xíngzhèngyuàn láogōng wěiyuánhuì
Council of Labour Affairs
(2)各直轄市、縣(市)政府的勞工局或社會局等勞工主管單位
Gè zhíxiáshì, xiàn (shì) zhèngfǔ de láogōng jú huò shèhuì jú děng láogōng zhǔguǎn dānwèi
All municipality, county (city) Government’s labor bureau or unit in charge of social affairs and labor
(3)以上皆是
答案:(3)以上皆是
[/quote]

Woo hoo!! 50 to go!! :discodance:

[quote=“bismarck”]140. 雇主僱用外籍人士時,雇主是否應該要為受僱的外籍人士投保勞保及健保?
Gùzhǔ gùyòng wàijí rénshì shí, gùzhǔ shìfǒu yīnggāi yāo wéi shòugù de wàijí rénshì tóu bǎo láo bǎo jí jiàn bǎo?
When employers employ foreign nationals, should the employer request employment of foreign nationals labour insurance and health insurance?[/quote]
That seems like a awkwardly worded sentence and I’m pretty sure it’s the opposite meaning of the Chinese sentence. I would translate it this way:

When employers employ foreign nationals, should the employer provide labour and health insurance coverage for the foreign national employee?

[quote=“sjcma”][quote=“bismarck”]140. 雇主僱用外籍人士時,雇主是否應該要為受僱的外籍人士投保勞保及健保?
When employers employ foreign nationals, should the employer request employment of foreign nationals labour insurance and health insurance?[/quote]
That seems like a awkwardly worded sentence and I’m pretty sure it’s the opposite meaning of the Chinese sentence. I would translate it this way:

When employers employ foreign nationals, should the employer provide labour and health insurance coverage for the foreign national employee?[/quote]
Definitely an improvement. Thanks! :bow:

I’m a bit stuck on how to translate this. Any help?

[quote=“bismarck”]I’m a bit stuck on how to translate this. Any help?

If someone tries to be a wise guy and have someone else take the driving test instead of him, if they are caught, aside from having the test annulled, for how many years is the wise guy kept from taking the test again?

It’s been a while since I’ve posted an update. Here’s the Transport Safety Section

[quote]交通安全類 (Transport Safety Section)
Jiāotōng ānquán lèi

1. 機車的前座駕駛人或後座被載的乘客,如果都沒有或其中一個人沒有戴上安全帽的話,駕駛人會被處罰多少元?
    Jīchē de qián zuò jiàshǐrén huò hòu zuò bèi zài de chéngkè, rúguǒ dōu méiyǒu huò qízhōng yīgěrén méiyǒu dàishang ānquánmào dehuà, jiàshǐrén huì bèi chǔfá duōshǎo yuán?
    How much can the driver of a motorcycle (scooter) be fined for, if the passenger on the back seat or the driver on the front seat, or both passenger and driver aren’t wearing a safety helmet?

(1)300元
(2)500元
(3)不會被罰錢

答案:(2)500元

1. 外國人經許可在國內停留或居留多少年以上,就可以報考駕駛執照?
    Wàiguórén jīng xǔkě zài guónèi tíngliú huò jūliú duōshao nián yǐshàng, jiù kěyǐ bàokǎo jiàshǐzhízhào?
    Foreigners should have temporary or permanent residence in Taiwan for at least how many years (residence needs to be valid for at least how many years), can apply (write the examination) for a driver’s license?

(1)3個月以上
(2)6個月以上
(3)1年以上
答案:(3)1年以上

1. 考領小型汽車及普通機車的普通駕駛執照,須年滿幾歲?
    Kǎo lǐng xiǎoxíngqìchē jí pǔtōng jīchē de pǔtōng jiàshǐzhízhào, xū nián mǎn jǐsuì?
    How old do you need to be to take the ordinary driver’s license test for small cars (ordinary sedans etc) and motorcycles?

(1)18歲
(2)19歲
(3)20歲
答案:(1)18歲

1. 託人代考駕照者,報考人除了會被取消考試資格外,幾年內不能再行報考駕照?
    Tuō rén dàikǎo jiàzhào zhě, bàokǎo rén chúle huì bèiqǔxiāo kǎoshì zīgé wài, jǐnián nèi bùnéng zài xíng bàokǎo jiàzhào?
    If someone tries to get someone else to take the driving test for them, apart from having the test annulled, for how many years is the person not allowed to re-take the test?

(1)3年
(2)4年
(3)5年
答案:(3)5年

1. 小型車行駛高速公路,駕駛或前座乘客未繫安全帶,會不會受到處罰?
    Xiǎoxíng xíngshǐ gāosùgōnglù, jiàshǐ huò qián zuò chéngkè wèi jì ānquándài, huìbùhuì shòudào chǔfá?
    When driving a car on the highway, if the driver or the front passenger hasn’t fastened their seatbelt, can you get a fine?

(1)會
(2)不會
答案:(1)會

1. 慢速車及大型車行駛高速公路時,應該行駛在哪個車道?
    Màn sù chē jí dàxíng chē xíngshǐ gāosùgōnglù shí, yīnggāi xíngshǐ zài nǎge chēdào?
    Slow vehicles and trucks travelling on the highway should travel in which lane?

(1)內側車道
Nèicè chēdào
The inside lane
(2)外側車道
Wàicè chēdào
Outisde lane
答案:(2)外側車道

1. 可不可以利用路肩超車?
    Kě bùkěyǐ lìyòng lù jiān chāochē?
    Can the use of shoulder to overtake another vehicle?

(1)可以
(2)不可以

1. 交通號誌燈顯示紅燈時,可不可以因為沒有來車,就闖越紅燈自行通過馬路?
    Jiāotōng hào zhì dēng xiǎnshì hóngdēng shí, kě bùkěyǐ yīnwèi méiyǒu lái chē, jiù chuǎng yuè hóngdēng zìxíng tōngguò mǎlù?
    When a traffic light is red, can you charge over the red light if no other vehicles have approached the traffic light?

(1)可以
(2)不可以
[/quote]

This is what I came up with for the Environmental Protection Section…

[quote]環境保護類 (Environmental Protection Section)
Huánjìngbǎohù lèi

1. 機車出廠滿3年,每年應實施幾次排氣定期檢驗?
    Jīchē chūchǎng mǎn 3 nián, měinián yīng shíshī jǐcì páiqì dìngqī jiǎnyàn?
    Three years after a vehicle has left the factory, how many exhaust inspections should be carried out every year?

(1)1次
(2)2次
(3)3次
答案:(1)1次

1. 新出廠機車滿幾年內,可以免接受排氣定期檢驗?
    Xīn chūchǎng jīchē mǎn jǐnián nèi, kěyǐ miǎn jiēshòu páiqì dìngqī jiǎnyàn?
    For how many years after a new car has left the factory can it be exempt from receiving regular exhaust inspections?

(1)1年
(2)2年
(3)3年
答案:(3)3年

1. 家中的廢棄物應該先分為哪幾類後,才能交由清潔隊清除?
    Jiāzhōng de fèiqì wù yīnggāi xiān fēnwéi něi jǐ lèi hòu, cáinéng jiāo yóu qīngjié duì qīngchú?
    Household waste (garbage) should be divided into which categories, before it can be removed by garbage disposal teams?

(1)資源類
Zīyuán lèi
Natural resources category
(2)廚餘類
Chú yú lèi
Kitchen waste category
(3)垃圾類
Lājī lèi
Garbage category
(4)以上都是
答案:(4)以上都是

1. 清除室外的積水容器,可以防治傳染何種疾病?
    Qīngchú shìwài de jī shuǐ róngqì, kěyǐ fángzhì chuánrǎn hé zhǒng jíbìng?
    By removing stagnant water in outdoor containers, what kind of infectious disease can you control?

(1)腸病毒
Chángbìngdú
Enterovirus
(2)肺炎
Fèiyán
Pneumonia
(3)登革熱
Dēnggérè
Dengue fever
答案:(3)登革熱

1. 發現有人或工廠排放廢水、製造噪音時,可以向什麼機關陳情或檢舉?
    Fāxiàn yǒurén huò gōngchǎng páifàng fèishuǐ, zhìzào zàoyīn shí, kěyǐ xinàg shénme jīguān chénqíng huò jiǎnjǔ?
    If you discover someone or a factory discharging waste water, or making noises, to which institution can you direct a report or give an account of the infraction?

(1)警察局
Jǐngchájú
Police
(2)衛生所
Wèishēng suǒ
A health clinic
(3)環境保護局
Huánjìngbǎohù jú
Environmental Protection office
答案:(3)環境保護局

1. 容器或物品標有下列何種標誌,代表可回收再利用,丟棄時應分類在「資源」類?
    Róngqì huò wùpǐn biāo yǒu xiàliè hé zhǒng biāòzhi, dàibiǎo kěhuíshōu zàilìyòng, diūqì shí yīng fēnlèi zài (zīyuán) lèi?
    Containers or items which are marked with the following sign represnting it as recyclable or reusable should be classified in the “resources” category?

(1)
(2)
(3)
(4)
答案:(1)
[/quote]

Containers or items marked with which of the following signs signifies them as recyclable or reusable and should be classified in the “resources” category?