Taxi Driver: “So what do you think of Ma Ying-Jiu?”
Me: “So-so.”
Taxi Driver:“We Taiwanese don’t like him.”
Me: “I understand. I guess you like Lee-Tung Hui?”
Taxi Driver:“Yes. Yes. Lee Tung-Hui is the best.”
Me:“So why do you like him so much?”
Taxi Driver: “He makes you feel like a man.”
Me: “I get it. And Ma?”
Taxi Driver: “I don’t like him, but he’s a mainlander, like Lien and Sung. We Taiwanese can understand that, but not Taiwanese who become KMT rats. They’re the worst.”
Me:“So what do you think about Gu-Gong. Should we give it back to China then?”
Taxi Driver (Laughing): “No. No. No. Are you crazy? No.”

Last night. Pretty funny. I especially liked the line where: “Lee Tung-Hui makes you feel like a man.”

I suppose this whole convo was in guoyu yes? How did the guy say the line you liked? Just curious?

Lee Tung-Hui was once a KMT rat.

All in Mandarin, yes.

I don’t speak any Taiwanese, but I’ve lived here for 17 years and do most of my business in Mandarin.

What’s your point?

I agree with the guy, on the point that LTH is manly, he was also a deft and artful politician, that’s supported by the fact that he’s not in prison. He brings pride to the Taiwanese. Of course I also told the driver I liked Chen Shwei Bien, too. He thought I was completely wrong headed. He hated Chen the most. I don’t see it that way, even though I know many people do. His no, no, no to Gu-Gong being returned is pretty amusing. I mean it’s either yours and you embarce the mainland or it isn’t and you give it back. In fact, either way you give it back. Not for nothing of course. It’s the lynch pin.

All in Mandarin, yes.

I don’t speak any Taiwanese, but I’ve lived here for 17 years and do most of my business in Mandarin.

What’s your point?
[/quote]

He said he was curious. I’m also curious. I’d like to know how to tell other people that Lee Teng-Hui makes me feel like a man.

Use pantomime.

LTH lan ni jiede ni shiang zen-zen de nan ren.

ROFL. Either you are using a phonetic system of which I am ignorant, or you really have been here a long time. Heh heh heh.

!= “He makes you feel like a man”

I think you misunderstood.

He meant, you can tell that he (LTH) is a real man.

He meant, you can tell that he (LTH) is a real man.[/quote]
At least he is a Ta Shuai Ge!

He meant, you can tell that he (LTH) is a real man.[/quote]

No. He said he makes you feel like a real man. I just asked my wife. I’m sure she knows. I’m not sure about the rest of you.

Should I really care about the phonetics? I’ve never spent a day in a Chinese class.

[quote=“Fox”]Taxi Driver: “So what do you think of Ma Ying-Jiu?”
Taxi Driver: “I don’t like him, but he’s a mainlander, like Lien and Sung. We Taiwanese can understand that, but not Taiwanese who become KMT rats. They’re the worst.”

Last night. Pretty funny. I especially liked the line where: “Lee Tung-Hui makes you feel like a man.”[/quote]

you should have asked him his ‘manly’ takes on:

man purses
foofy Japanese haircuts
lenseless glasses
guy make-up
and carrying your bird’s purse

[quote=“Deuce Dropper”][quote=“Fox”]Taxi Driver: “So what do you think of Ma Ying-Jiu?”

Last night. Pretty funny. I especially liked the line where: “Lee Tung-Hui makes you feel like a man.”[/quote]

man purses
foofy Japanese haircuts
lenseless glasses
guy make-up
and carrying your bird’s purse[/quote]

I’m sure he thinks they all vote KMT.

yes he was correct with his translation, and yes his romanization was funny because as he said he didn’t learn chinese in class so everyone relax please.

I have to say I think it’s perfectly fine and manly to carry a woman’s purse (for her, of course). the others i agree are travesties against manhood.

There you go!

If I may:

“Li Deng-Hui rang ni juede ni xiang zhenzheng de nanren”

Sounds like an aftershave ad. They may have considered that as a slogan and passed I guess. Did you ask him what Chen Shui-Bian made him feel like?

There you go!

If I may:

“Li Deng-Hui rang ni juede ni xiang zhenzheng de nanren”

Sounds like an aftershave ad. They may have considered that as a slogan and passed I guess. Did you ask him what Chen Shui-Bian made him feel like?[/quote]

No, but I’m sure he thought like an idiot, many Taiwanese feel like that. I don’t.

[quote=“jackalope”]yes he was correct with his translation, and yes his romanization was funny because as he said he didn’t learn Chinese in class so everyone relax please.

I have to say I think it’s perfectly fine and manly to carry a woman’s purse (for her, of course). the others I agree are travesties against manhood.[/quote]

Thanks.

When people already have the important issues decided in their own minds, politics is far more about feelings and emotions than issues. That’s true to a degree anywhere but perhaps more so in Taiwan than anywhere else. Interesting to hear it stated so clearly.

[quote]

man purses
foofy Japanese haircuts
lenseless glasses
guy make-up
and carrying your bird’s purse[/quote]

I think the lensless glasses are only found in Taiwan. I have never seen it anywhere else.

A lot of the guys there are whipped (not all), but the girls in TW like it that way :ohreally:

when in Rome…

So could this be a old spice commercial for Asia?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=owGykVbfgUE

Now ladies look at your man, and look at Lee Tung-Hui… sounds like Lee Tung Hui is to TW men as Bill Clinton is to black folks…

Thanks for providing the form of words OP. You asked “What’s your point?” and I have to say that’s fair, since asking for the Chinese appears to call into question your understanding of it.

Also I think I see how Toasty may have misinterpreted it.

But I’m still left wondering… what on earth was he going on about?