Taiwanese Machismo

He means LTH inspires you to have courage, stand up for what you believe is right, even if and when others disagree with you and you have something to lose. Sometimes to do that you must be Ninja.

“They travelled in disguise to other territories to judge the situation of the enemy, they would inveigle their way into the midst of the enemy to discover gaps, and enter enemy castles to set them on fire, and carried out assassinations, arriving in secret.”

李登輝讓你覺得你想真真的男人? Well it takes all sorts I guess.

Wow… a very good rendering of Mandarin spoken with a Taiwanese accent! Change “ren” to “len” or “zen”, and it’d be perfect!

Wow… a very good rendering of Mandarin spoken with a Taiwanese accent! Change “ren” to “len” or “zen”, and it’d be perfect![/quote]

Perhaps the FOX standard should now be adopted for road signs.

!= “He makes you feel like a man”

I think you misunderstood.

He meant, you can tell that he (LTH) is a real man.[/quote]
That’s also my guess when I first read this. 李登輝(會)讓你覺得(他)像真正的男人 makes a lot more sense than 李登輝(會)讓你覺得(你)像真正的男人, ie LTH makes you think like he’s a real man, rather than LTH makes you feel like a real man. I guess OP misinterpreted “覺得” to mean “to feel” here, while it means “to think” or “to be of the opinion”.

!= “He makes you feel like a man”

I think you misunderstood.

He meant, you can tell that he (LTH) is a real man.[/quote]
That’s also my guess when I first read this. 李登輝(會)讓你覺得(他)像真正的男人 makes a lot more sense than 李登輝(會)讓你覺得(你)像真正的男人, ie LTH makes you think like he’s a real man, rather than LTH makes you feel like a real man. I guess OP misinterpreted “覺得” to mean “to feel” here, while it means “to think” or “to be of the opinion”.[/quote]

It still means let you think or feel you are a real man. Other wise it would be LTH hwei lan ni jiede ta shiang zen-zen de nan ren.

I’m just posting the quotes below for giggles; I completely trust Fox’s and his wife’s gloss of what the cabbie said. The quotes are from Google pages.

[quote]Makes me feel like a madman on the run. (song?)
讓(ràng) 我(wǒ) 覺(jué) 得(dé) 自(zì) 己(jǐ) 像(xiàng) 個(gè) 在(zài) 逃(táo) 亡(wáng) 的(de) 瘋(fēng) 子(zǐ) .

It makes me feel like a woman.
讓(ràng) 我(wǒ) 覺(jué) 得(dé) 自(zì) 己(jǐ) 是(shì) 個(gè) 真(zhēn) 正(zhèng) 的(de) 女(nǚ) 人(rén).

She makes me feel like a king. (song?)
她(tā) 讓(ràng) 我(wǒ) 覺(jué) 得(dé) 像(xiàng) 個(gè) 國(guó) 王(wáng) .

She makes me feel like a freak. (song?)
又(yòu) 讓(ràng) 我(wǒ) 覺(jué) 得(dé) 像(xiàng) 個(gè) 傻(shǎ) 瓜(guā).

It makes me feel like a bird perched on a pole of integrity. . . .
這(zhè) 總(zǒng) 會(huì) 讓(ràng) 我(wǒ) 感(gǎn) 覺(jué) 像(xiàng) 一(yī) 隻(zhī) 鳥(niǎo) 停(tíng) 在(zài) 一(yī) 根(gēn) 柱(zhù) 子(zǐ) 上(shàng) . . . . [/quote] Link

[quote]Other places make me feel like a dork. (Madonna song)
別(bié) 的(de) 地(dì) 方(fāng) 讓(ràng) 我(wǒ) 感(gǎn) 覺(jué) 像(xiàng) 個(gè) 笨(bèn) 蛋(dàn) .

You make me feel like a tiger. . . . (song?)
你(nǐ) 讓(ràng) 我(wǒ) 感(gǎn) 覺(jué) 猶(yóu) 如(rú) 老(lǎo) 虎(hǔ) . . . .[/quote] Link

I would add that I didn’t have any major trouble understanding what the cabbie meant by “feel like a man.” I think he meant that he felt that he had been treated like a minor child before Lee.

I think the name Taike was given them by people from the mainland. It’s my understanding that the original, literal meaning was “Taiwanese guest” (willing to be corrected on that, provided the correction is believable). Imagine being thought of by recent arrivals as a guest in a place that one’s ancestors came to 200 years ago or more.

Strangely not. On the mainland that term is not used, even in Fujian province I tried using it to describe young punks, and the locals didn’t get it.

[quote=“Charlie Jack”]It makes me feel like a bird perched on a pole of integrity. . . .
[/quote]

Even in English I don’t know what that means. :eh:

Means old Charlie’s in touch with his feminine side.

[quote=“Mucha Man”][quote=“Charlie Jack”]It makes me feel like a bird perched on a pole of integrity. . . .
[/quote]

Even in English I don’t know what that means. :eh:[/quote]

It’s a quote from an artist named Kumi Yamashita. Here it is with some of its context:

[quote]I find commissioned works often challenging, especially when it comes to publicly funded work. Because there are so much politics and so many people who may not necessarily share the same value as I are involved in the process. It makes me feel like a bird perched on a pole of integrity trying to not be blown away by the storm of mumble jumble. Maintaining my integrity is always the biggest challenge in any of my projects.[/quote] mydesy.pixnet.net/blog/post/30799437

Maybe it means something like this:

Well, I never was the world’s most masculine guy to begin with, and I read somewhere that men lose testosterone as they age, so I guess it could be happening. I’m pretty sure I’m not in shape for pole dancing, though.

[quote=“sandman”]Means old Charlie’s in touch with his feminine side.

[/quote]

That’s funny.

Like a bird on a wire,
Or some drunk in a midnight choir,
I have tried in my own way,
To be free.

I prefer the Cohen version, but I listened and enjoyed.

[quote=“Charlie Jack”]I’m just posting the quotes below for giggles; I completely trust Fox’s and his wife’s gloss of what the cabbie said. The quotes are from Google pages.

[quote]Makes me feel like a madman on the run. (song?)
讓(ràng) 我(wǒ) 覺(jué) 得(dé) 自(zì) 己(jǐ) 像(xiàng) 個(gè) 在(zài) 逃(táo) 亡(wáng) 的(de) 瘋(fēng) 子(zǐ) .

It makes me feel like a woman.
讓(ràng) 我(wǒ) 覺(jué) 得(dé) 自(zì) 己(jǐ) 是(shì) 個(gè) 真(zhēn) 正(zhèng) 的(de) 女(nǚ) 人(rén).

She makes me feel like a king. (song?)
她(tā) 讓(ràng) 我(wǒ) 覺(jué) 得(dé) 像(xiàng) 個(gè) 國(guó) 王(wáng) .

She makes me feel like a freak. (song?)
又(yòu) 讓(ràng) 我(wǒ) 覺(jué) 得(dé) 像(xiàng) 個(gè) 傻(shǎ) 瓜(guā).

It makes me feel like a bird perched on a pole of integrity. . . .
這(zhè) 總(zǒng) 會(huì) 讓(ràng) 我(wǒ) 感(gǎn) 覺(jué) 像(xiàng) 一(yī) 隻(zhī) 鳥(niǎo) 停(tíng) 在(zài) 一(yī) 根(gēn) 柱(zhù) 子(zǐ) 上(shàng) . . . . [/quote] Link

[quote]Other places make me feel like a dork. (Madonna song)
別(bié) 的(de) 地(dì) 方(fāng) 讓(ràng) 我(wǒ) 感(gǎn) 覺(jué) 像(xiàng) 個(gè) 笨(bèn) 蛋(dàn) .

You make me feel like a tiger. . . . (song?)
你(nǐ) 讓(ràng) 我(wǒ) 感(gǎn) 覺(jué) 猶(yóu) 如(rú) 老(lǎo) 虎(hǔ) . . . .[/quote] Link

I would add that I didn’t have any major trouble understanding what the cabbie meant by “feel like a man.” I think he meant that he felt that he had been treated like a minor child before Lee.

I think the name Taike was given them by people from the mainland. It’s my understanding that the original, literal meaning was “Taiwanese guest” (willing to be corrected on that, provided the correction is believable). Imagine being thought of by recent arrivals as a guest in a place that one’s ancestors came to 200 years ago or more.[/quote]

You make me feel
Mighty real

你讓我覺得
真正強大

(西爾維斯特)