Taiwanese men's attitude toward Inter-racial/Inter-national couples

[quote=“headhonchoII”]The whole prominence of CCR in Internet debate indicates the bizarre importance and attention attached to this. I mean white-local
Pairings are absolutely minuscule compared to SEA-local pairings, but CCR seems attached to only this very tiny minority of relationships , which indicates something strange.
BUt locals views about race and mixing are generally quite far outside of western norms.

And as Icon mentioned they have a specific term for girls who like westerners ‘西餐妹’
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/quote]

There’s a culture of complaining about it online, especially on PTT, a popular e-bulletin board.

Actual resentment I think is rare. Most of the guys are just bashing because it’s fun and fashionable to do so. It’s more about being juvenile than anything. They also likes mispronounce CCR as ㄈㄈ尺 (Fe fe chi).

A moderator on PTT once made a famous announcement that SEA-local paring should not post on the CCR subforum, because only white-local is considered CCR. That moderator has since lost her mod privileges, but the sub-forum pretty much follows that statement till this day.

Happened to me too. However I get the impression that in Thailand the difference between a gf and a ‘rented ho’ is a very fine distinction. It’s always a commercial transaction to a certain extent.

Racism in the rest of Asia is far worse than in Taiwan. As for “back home”, again considerably worse. My mum and dad got some nasty comments back in the day.

:thumbsup:

Always from Westerners too.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Hansioux:

Like I said, we’re all Nazis on the internet.

1 Like

Most people anywhere with a ’ they are taking our women,’ attitude are either really old or single. Single people can be jealous of two dogs, let alone two people.
When we get really old I wonder how exactly we will be an embarrassment to our societies. I’m guessing language and attitudes to increasing liberalism will be our downfall too.

Happened to me too. However I get the impression that in Thailand the difference between a gf and a ‘rented ho’ is a very fine distinction. It’s always a commercial transaction to a certain extent.

Racism in the rest of Asia is far worse than in Taiwan. As for “back home”, again considerably worse. My mum and dad got some nasty comments back in the day.

:thumbsup:[/quote]

That’s why I don’t like those silly stereotypes/false impressions/false generalizations.
And, those thoughts are not only racist, but also sexist in essence.
When some people see a White male&an Asian female being together, some people will start thinking that the Asian female must be doing her job or having other intentions to be with the White guy.
When some people see an Asian male&a White female being together, some people will start thinking that the Asian male must be a really wealthy/powerful somebody to get the White woman.
I don’t like this, either. :frowning:

The world will be better if all human beings just date/marry whomever they find attractive, regardless of any other factors. :smiley:

US news is full of racist incidents, and “race” is a salient social reality there in a way that it rarely is here. On the other hand, explicit racism is deeply unpopular, and people in famously redneck places like Texas (where I’m from) may surprise you in a positive way. (My friend in rural Virginia assures me that he’s never had a problem with anti-gay prejudice, for example.) Younger people find it hard even to understand the attitudes of earlier generations, although younger people are also more likely to do stupid things (like those fraternity brothers last month). In general, mixed East Asian-white couples are not targets. Asians may be stereotyped to some extent, but do not figure very prominently in US racial politics. The only strongly anti-East Asian sentiment I recall has been from blacks during the Rodney King riots, and against Japan circa 1980 (due to economics).[/quote]

Glad to hear that!
Thanks for your informative insights about the U.S., Zla’od.

Regarding race and ethnicity, there’s one thing that really surprises(in a good way) me!
I found that some Taiwanese/Han Chinese women literally look like some Eastern European women.
I mean, they are born like that, they didn’t take any domestic surgery, and none of their ancestors have European descent, but their facial traits and appearances resemble those of some Eastern European women. :astonished:
It’s true. I literally know two girls(one Taiwanese and one Lithuanian) who look like each other. :wink:
So, now, I am always attracted to that type of Taiwanese women. :unamused:
I am not sure whether it is just a weird fetish I got, or it is a distorted standard of beauty&a consequence of me being brainwashed by Western media. :s

[quote=“Mr.Lin”]Regarding race and ethnicity, there’s one thing that scares&surprises me so much!
I found that some Taiwanese/Han Chinese women literally look like some Eastern European women, and vice versa.
I mean, they are born like that, they didn’t take any domestic surgery, and none of their ancestors have European descent, but their facial traits and appearances resemble those of some Eastern European women. :astonished:
It’s true. I literally know two girls(one Taiwanese and one Lithuanian) who look like each other. :wink:
I am not sure whether it is just a weird fetish I got, or it is a distorted standard of beauty&a consequence of me being brainwashed by Western media. :s[/quote]

What’s to be scared of ?

For someone who believes (correctly) that we shouldn’t be making a big thing about ethnicity, you seem to be doing just that.

Those of us in intercultural families don’t look at our SO and kids don’t think about them being of a different ethnicity. They think “this is my family”. That’s why it seems strange to us when we do get looks or comments.

[quote=“Mr.Lin”]Regarding race and ethnicity, there’s one thing that scares&surprises me so much!
I found that some Taiwanese/Han Chinese women literally look like some Eastern European women, and vice versa.
I am not sure whether it is just a weird fetish I got, or it is a distorted standard of beauty&a consequence of me being brainwashed by Western media. :s[/quote]

How do you know the Taiwanese had no European ancestry? There’s a lot of Dutch DNA floating around Formosa.

Huh? I’ve never observed such resemblance, and btw, Eastern Europe is a very vast area, it covers many different groups of nations who don’t look the same.

Even if it is true, why would that be a problem?

[quote=“Mr.Lin”]
It’s true. I literally know two girls(one Taiwanese and one Lithuanian) who look like each other. :wink: [/quote]

You assume that it’s the Han woman who looks like the Eastern European woman, but it’s the other way around, and you can thank Attila the Hun and Ghengis Khan for that:

Attilla the Hun (Han?)

Ghengis Khan

We are all a lot more closely related than we want to think.

The Hun incursions into Europe:

Ghenkis Khans journeys of rape and pillage:

For a second I thought that said “Movements of Genghis Khan and his genitals”

Mr Freud who was born in the Austro- HUNgarian region of Moravia, would not be surprised in the least. :slight_smile:

[quote=“Gain”][quote=“Mr.Lin”]Regarding race and ethnicity, there’s one thing that scares&surprises me so much! true. I literally know two girls(one Taiwanese and one Lithuanian) who look like each other. :wink:
Huh? I’ve never observed such resemblance, and btw, Eastern Europe is a very vast area, it covers many different groups of nations who don’t look the same.[/quote]

Yeah, I lived in eastern europe for 4 yrs, the only resemblance is they starve themselves hard to get those low body fat model facial features, and wear tons of makeup.

95% of people who starves themselves, including men, will get those model facial features showing. (the problem being it takes a lot of willpower to do it and to maintain it… too many rely on narcotics or bulimia fucks them up in the end)

Guys, relax. I don’t have any problems with anyone. I picked up a wrong word in my previous post. I shouldn’t use the word ‘scare’.
What I was trying to say is, I was very surprised(in a good way), very excited, and very happy to find that some Eastern European women literally look like Han Chinese women.
And, yes, I guess Mr. Charlie Phillips is right. It is some Eastern Europeans who have East Asian descent that look like Han Chinese in some ways.
I was very surprised(in a good way), very excited, and very happy to find out this interesting and exciting fact. That’s all I am saying. :smiley:
It messed up my mind as well. I started to see that type of Taiwanese women as exotic Eastern European women. :lick:

Must be fun. I could never see that. Not only because they look different, but because their personalities are so different. Pretty east europeans girls are so aggressive they will just come up to you and ask what you’re doing later, I’ve almost never had a pretty taiwan girl do that… they will do everything but that. So, always makes them appear like different animals to me.

Noone is saying you have a problem anyone, you relax :wink:

My Taiwanese wife and I have been shouted at on the streets of Taipei by primarily teenage males. One even swung punches at me, with no apparent intent to hit, I think in an attempt to start a fight.

To be fair, I was also shouted at on the subway in Tokyo by a disgruntled teenage male years before that…

However, in both cases I had numerous other wonderful people come to my rescue and run the boys off.

In California, East Asian and White/Hispanic/Black couples are a common sight (esp. East Asian/White couples).

In the East Coast of the US- Maryland/Washington DC, to be precise- it seemed less common. Then again, there’s a smaller Asian population in the that area of the East Coast than in the Bay Area in California.

So racial mixing is occurring in other parts of the world, not just in Taiwan?

That’s interesting.