Taiwanese nationals teaching English

Hi,

I’m half Taiwanese and half “white”. I grew up in the US and finished college there. It will be a bit more difficult to find a job, as others are saying, especially if you don’t have much experience. I had zero experience and was able to land a temporary job at a Happy Marian. It felt a bit under the table most of the time, but I was just glad to have something. That was in 2009. I left teaching and then returned last year, where I was able to find a job at Columbia English Language Program. They LOOK for Taiwanese to work in their Kindergarten programs so you could always check them out. They are often looking for teachers. They will train you, and although I haven’t been here for a full year yet, I’m pretty happy with it. You’re not a “local teacher”; you’re an English teacher status, but the pay probably isn’t quite as good as the foreign grade school teachers. I think they start at 500/hr, but doesn’t include any extra work you have to do like PTA meetings, writing reports about the kids, etc.

I don’t know what they would say about the SA accent though. It’s specifically a Phonics program, so they may or may not be picky. (We do have a few teachers with slight Chinese accents, VERY slight)

Good luck!