Taiwanese obsession with reverse parking

My main question is … WHY??? :loco:

For me parking forward makes far more sense. Easier to get in then when you reverse out, the steering wheel is already in the right place to get out without trouble.

I am getting insanely frustrated with waiting in car parks for someone to try to maneuver their car into a slim car park in reverse… going back and forward until it’s right but cutting anyone off from going past in the meantime.

I’m sure it’s like 80%+ of cars which are parked like this here. I’m sure it would be the reverse (no pun intended) back home.

Sure it’s easier to get out when you leave but the time spent parking in the first place must negate that with interest.

Anyone?

My girlfriend never does… She always drives in and I cant’ say I’ve seen a lot of cars here in Taoyuan that are parked that way around, maybe it’s a Taipei thing?

Lol…

I’m in Nankan and go to the carrefours in Taoyuan often.

Next time check how many of them are like that! I swear it’s 7-8 out of 10

From my experience, reverse parking is much easier. Its because wheels turn at the front, the back of the car drags behind and is never quite ‘in-step’. If you drive a small car, you’ll hardly notice, but try on a long car and you’ll notice the difference.

Reverse parking is easier?!?!?! You’re kidding, right? Not for me, and I drive a huge car. It almost always takes two tries to get it right, whereas parking forward is straight in and straight out. It makes loading and unloading the trunk problematic. It’s ridiculous.

My partner says it’s setting oneself to exit parking easier, but I’m with the OP that the extra time invariably spent backing in negates the speedy exit.

Personally, I think it’s to make people feel better about passing the part of the driving test that requires driving a backwards “S”. I mean, when else will you ever be able to use that skill?

I couldn’t agree more at how silly this is, it compares with their obession with dorky swim wear. A few years ago I was refused entry to a pool when wearing surfer type board shorts! Isn’t it enough we have to wear these stupid swimming caps?

Some of the car parks in Taipei will put notices on your windshield for not reverse parking. As I usually need to get bikes or skates out of the back I always go straight in! invariably receiving a full A4 colored notice to my windshield in Ta An Park car park.

Wasn’t there a thread about this topic a while ago? This has been discussed over and over again.

I remember one of the explanation that made sense was that drivers probably feel safer when leaving the parking space front first.

Safety regulation in crowded spaces…

I don’t know about you, but that’s the way I was taught to do it.

Reversing offers a greater angle of turn as opposed to traveling forwards. This is useful in tight spaces.
Reverse parking also ensures that the car can be driven out front facing, which is by far safer. I don’t think however that most people reverse park here. You can tell when visiting the majority of cars parked in parallel drawn car parking areas (when space allows). The time when most people reverse park is when they have to draw up parallel to the curb as forwards is usually quite impossible. The only other time people generally park frontwards is in loading car parks such as supermarkets, B&Q, airport etc, as loading is made much easier with the rear in a more approachable position. Taiwanese are very poor at reversing generally, and so they tend to avoid it whenever possible. According the the Taiwan highway code, reversing should not be practiced: When in traffic, around bends or uphill. Which technically makes it almost completely illegal.

Reverse is in fact easier … as said it’s easier steering and maneuvering … think about lift trucks, why do you think the rear wheels are steering? Shorter turning …

… and my guess why they do that? Not because it’s easier … they just want oversight when they leave and don’t want to be surprised by a passing car … Taiwan’s drivers are insecure …

Heh. Two days ago, I parked in an outdoor lot that was maybe only half full. I parked nose-in, and the attendant came running up to me, and said that I had to park tail-in. I pointed out that the nearest car was also parked nose-in, and he said “Oh, he’s a monthly parker”. I asked him what the heck difference that made, and he said that it would be easier for me to park tail in. I told non-sequitur man “whatever” and left my car as it was. :laughing:

U can take the boy outa Taiwan but you cant take the TAiwan outa the boy. I reverse into my parking space at my Apt complex all the time. :slight_smile::):slight_smile: Its very easy . And can be done in one easy motion. Just takes skill and practice.

And coming out is much safer this way.

There may be other TAiwanese living here as I saw a few other cars reversed parked :slight_smile::slight_smile:

Someome’s got to send a copy of that to all the driver’s that miss the exit for the HsinYi Expressway on Bei Er Gau here in my end of town and throw it into reverse on the shoulder of the highway to back up and hit the off-ramp!

I was taught (UK, 1970s) that reversing in was the proper way to do it, and that’s what I’ve always done. I must say its not something I’ve ever thought much about. And don’t forget that in places such as underground carparks it gives you the added bonus of being able to block the lane when you drive out a wee bit so you can load up the boot. I especially like that aspect.

I reversed in the states, and reverse here…It’s safer, easier, and faster. I never pull into a space forward…Why on earth would anyone prefer to back out into a hundred different accident scenarios instead of backing into a confined space that your only worry is the car next to you?

No kid on a bicycle, wayward grandma on a scooter, bus, etc, is suddenly going to pop up inside the confines of the space you are backing into…The same certainly cannot be said of trying to back out into the great unknown.

Pulling in forward is nuts.

[quote=“MJB”]I reversed in the states, and reverse here…It’s safer, easier, and faster. I never pull into a space forward…Why on earth would anyone prefer to back out into a hundred different accident scenarios instead of backing into a confined space that your only worry is the car next to you?

No kid on a bicycle, wayward grandma on a scooter, bus, etc, is suddenly going to pop up inside the confines of the space you are backing into…The same certainly cannot be said of trying to back out into the great unknown.

Pulling in forward is nuts.[/quote]

Some of us learned to turn and look over our shoulder out the back winder when we back out. Now maybe that wasn’t possible with the model Ts…but…I digress.

Actually though, the security guys in our private community have started issuing “tickets” in my basement to cars “illegally parked.”

I can’t wait til I have to tell them to shove their “ticket” up their “asses.”

Actually, this makes a lot of sense to me, given the way a lot of people here think parking lots are their own private autobahn.

I dunno. I’ve been parking face-in for 30 years. It’s how I learned and it’s what I’m used to and most comfortable with.

To each their own…

Reversing you can actually park in smaller and narrower spaces even when approaching space is limited …

I once asked The Oracle aka Mrs. Tomas, and she said that it was better to park butt-first so that thieves have a harder time robbing the car without being noticed and so that it was easier to pull out when you leave the parking area. Made sense to me, though I grew up forward parking. Lots of parking space in Arizona.