Taiwanese people's use of Chinese tones

Yeah but I’m not a 50 year old Taiwanese.

I just think some accents sound nicer than others. Like the really educated Beijing one. You can just tell fits the language better.

Some accents speaking English sound nicer than others

If someone spoke English with a squeaky voice would you find that attractive? That’s what she sounds like.

She speaks nicely

1 Like

But to a Geordie they’re speaking it right. You try telling them they’re speaking it wrong at closing time on a Saturday night in Newcastle…

That’s standard Putonghua pronunciation, though.

3 Likes

If you don’t have this song stuck in your head since when you were 6, you are probably not qualified to talk about the subject.

No I mean, I personally have never been brainwashed by the KMT, not that the KMT didn’t do any brainwashing.

I think that some accents when people speak Chinese are nice, in the same way I think some accents of people speaking English sound nicer than others. And you probably feel the same

2 Likes

As to recent times, I can’t disagree with that, but I think they deserve credit for doing the best they could under the circumstances.

Xinhua, “Taiwan leader pay tributes to Yellow Emperor,” China Daily, April 4, 2009

Fan Cheng-hsiang and Su Yung-yao / Staff reporters, “President exalts Yellow Emperor,” Taipei Times, April 4, 2012

Chris Wang / Staff reporter, " Schools to teach Nanjing is ROC capital: ministry," Taipei Times, December 4, 2013

(square-bracketed words in original)

Chen Yi-ching and Rachel Lin / Staff Reporters, with Staff Writer, “University heads call on Ma to respond to occupiers,” Taipei Times, March 23, 2014

I mean myself, i haven’t been brainwashed by the KMT

1 Like

News to me.

Dont get me started on how the English have bastardized English!

1 Like

I’ll start: they dont even pronounce the ‘r’ at the end of proper!

Good example of how poorly r’s are used in some dialects.

:face_with_hand_over_mouth:

Or that the say “mosque” instead of “mask”. My only other three native English speaking friends here are British and one of these days I’m going to make them a cardboard mosque to put on their faces when they go out.

2 Likes

Can’t wait

That would be so hilarious, to other people from, er, wherever you’re from.

He’s from India, some place called nopolis I think

1 Like

Heavily accented Taiwanese Mandarin doesn’t sound very good except for comedy value but the average Taipei girl speaking Mandarin sounds pretty nice partly because most of them have forgotten how to speak Taiwanese