Taiwanese platform for digitally renting movies

It is, but if you are using Apple TV you can’t use a VPN unless you install it on your router.

1 Like

Tried not using apple tv? generally speaking, apple is pretty much monopolistic in everything they do. I feel strongly about we shouldnt be enabling that kind of company. they are the precursors to dystopian stories we see playing out on repeat.

at least for us, we found the best ways forward were to use a few platforms.

spare computer without personal/business data for downloading and watching videos on suspect websites. we watched the new dune movie in a weirdo Taiwan site. saw malware nearly instantly.

youtube videos. although many arent proper subs, rather translations. and they are often about 50% useful as for the actual depth of many movies. so we often chat about shows we watch, which is actually a pretty decent bonding exercise to be honest.

netflix and the like with vpn. they often are limited, but with vpn can try Singapore, Malaysian, Hong kong etc where mandarin subs may be available. hit and miss. the local netflix we dont subscribe because they never have much we want to see…

Ah, thanks. I think before I was using the VPN via my iPad, and then streaming to the Apple TV? But I forget.

In my case I’ve already got more movies & TV to watch than I have time, so right now a VPN isn’t worth it to me.

Random thought: would using a VPN to access Singapore or Malaysia Netflix give a different and/or broader range of films with Chinese subtitles? Am I forgetting other regions where traditional Chinese subtitles are more likely?

I remember downloading traditional Chinese srt files to watch Game of Thrones with my wife. God that was a pain, especially when I needed to adjust the timing to match. And those subtitle sites often seem even dodgier than the pirate sites.

Unfortunately now my wife and I just don’t watch much together! I’ve grown used to English-language subtitles anyway (hearing issues + modern sound mixing); I suspect our wives are similar in that my wife can handle English subtitles, but it becomes too much like work and not all that fun. So if it’s Chinese subs, I have issues; if it’s English, she has issues - never mind the Bollywood films that we both enjoy!

A lot of movies on YouTube will become available for rent if you use a VPN and set your country to the US.

1 Like