Taiwanese Property and Global Warming

Ok, so perhaps you’re married, like living here and want to buy property. What about global warming and the possibility of sea levels rising. Taipei is screwed, so is Tainan. Where to buy that special retirement property? I was thinking about Taidong.
Anyone else ponder this question, or is everyone else just going to bugger off home?

Or do you folks think it wont make a difference, i.e. we’ll (the global community) solve the problem?

I don’t think the threat of global warming in our lifetime won’t cause an issue with sea level, in spite of what Mr. Gore had to say about it. If your concern is for your great great great great grandchildren, then maybe it’s legitimate. By then, I’m sure the global community will have found a solution.
I’m not a global warming denier, I just think Gore exaggerated things a bit.

In the same vein, beef eater, there’s simply no real need for you to get health insurance. The threat of illness of serious magnitude is so slim this year that the insurance premiums aren’t worth the expense. You realize that insurance is all a scam anyway: you pay the insurance company a fixed amount every month so that they will pay for 1. your health care and 2. their employees, CEOs and profit-hungry stockholders. Insurance is such a big scam, and you’re concern for yourself should be for your pocketbook. Simply invest that money that you were paying for your insurance, and you will be better off than me and the rest of the people who would rather pay now than gamble.

Just as we don’t need to pay for health insurance, we don’t need to worry about global warming. Just because the health care bills are potentially huge, so is the cost of any “solution” that you’re hoping that scientists can come up with. Scientists are telling us today that there is a simple answer: start paying today, and the future costs of global warming can be decreased. Leave it to our grand-children to pay, and you’re leaving them a big bill.

We’re doing a passable job with the ozone layer, the hole in which was definitely man made, mostly from CFCs. The ozone layer blocks UV light, and it was clear that increases in UV light was harmful for a wide array of reasons. Global warming may seem less harmful for some reason, but the scientists are telling us that it is harmful and man-made.

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.
A little precaution before a crisis occurs is preferable to a lot of fixing up afterward.
A stitch in time saves nine.

I think the tempature of the earth has been changing throughout ages and there is nothing we can do about it. a single volcanic eruption puts out more greenhouse gas than man has ever used for the last 100 year. Even if we all suddenly turn all SUV into priuses we might affect the global tempature by .1 degree in 100 years. I think this man made global warming is just a scam scientists use to get grant money.

Well, I guess this isn’t really the place for a debate on global warming. I agree with you: now is the time to change. I just don’t approve of scaremongering as a way of pushing the agenda.

But surely those two-story-tall walls that run along all the riverbanks serve the function of flood prevention, no? At that height, the entire polar cap would have to melt away for the sea level to rise above those walls.

ja ja
but the sea water does not have to go over the wall, it can come below as well

buying property here is the biggest mistake you will ever make. a foriegn landowner here has less rights than a locally born dog. there are ZERO property rights in taiwan. yeah they’re on the books. but the cops have too short an arm to reach out and touch any offenders.

buy land in a place where you can buy a gun to defend it, or a place where you don’t HAVE TO buy a gun to defend it because the cops do their job.

[quote=“ran the man”]buying property here is the biggest mistake you will ever make. a foreign landowner here has less rights than a locally born dog. there are ZERO property rights in taiwan. yeah they’re on the books. but the cops have too short an arm to reach out and touch any offenders.

buy land in a place where you can buy a gun to defend it, or a place where you don’t HAVE TO buy a gun to defend it because the cops do their job.[/quote]

So whats your story that leads to this conclusion?

I would not buy land here, but of course there are property rights

[quote=“TNT”][quote=“ran the man”]buying property here is the biggest mistake you will ever make. a foreign landowner here has less rights than a locally born dog. there are ZERO property rights in taiwan. yeah they’re on the books. but the cops have too short an arm to reach out and touch any offenders.

buy land in a place where you can buy a gun to defend it, or a place where you don’t HAVE TO buy a gun to defend it because the cops do their job.[/quote]

So whats your story that leads to this conclusion?[/quote]

I wont buy land here even if I could afford to because its too small and too expensive.

Usually land or property is a very poor investment. Of course some people like to own a house.

i want to be a property developer without all the hassle and expense and so on of actually having to stump up and buy anything…

Yes here in Taiwan except maybe something in the right area of Taipei…

I bought a place outside Taipei two years ago… if I was to sell now I would not loose money on the initial investment and at the same time I have saved two years rent… now if they only finish that on ramp to the highway the place will gain value

Outside of Taiwan… it can be a profitable business espically commerical property