Taiwanese Racism toward Southeast Asian Wives in Taiwan

Another nice story taipeitimes.com/News/taiwan/ … 2003211275

The figure has gone up to 300,000 from last week’s 115,000. For people that “can’t raise kids” they’re surely making a lot of them.

Wonder how they classify “SEA” or “foreign”? We know the government doesn’t consider people from China to be “foreigners”. I think they classify them “untermensch” or something. So who are these 185,000 foreign spouses that are not from China or SEA? Does anyone know any journalists?

I got another email from Pearl S Buck in the US. One of the board members in Taipei pointed out all the good work that Kathy Ke has done and how much the SEA brides appreciated her work. He also pointed out that she did not say the things she was quoted as saying at all and that she does not in any way associate herself with the comments attributed to her in the TT. Interesting.

Along the same lines///one of the english language fiishwraps had a front page, above the creae photo of Muslim women in Taiwan celebrating Ramadan…and Titles it “PURE LOVE”…and referred to them as “migrants” here in Taiwan.

Do these bozo’s even know how stupid they look?

[quote=“hexuan”]Another nice story taipeitimes.com/News/taiwan/ … 2003211275

[/quote]

Hedline redes: Study finds that children of foreign brides are `slow’

TEXT: About 90 percent of the children of foreign brides of Taiwanese citizens suffer slowness in cognition and language development, the Chiayi Christian Hospital (CCH) reported yesterday.

This story was in all 3 English papers today here, maybe in the CHinese papers too, I am sure. What a stupid stupid report, if the translation is correct. SLOW?

THis same thing happened to children of Euro immigrants 50-100 years ago in new York and Boston, the most famous being Leo Buscaglia, the writer and public speaker, RIP now, who was also labelled as a slow learner in first grade because he grew up in an Italian family and his ENglish at the time was not super rate. So he was put in slow learners class, deemed stupid and a slow kid.

It’s all about language, hospital reseachers. Get a brain on!

One of the slow kids is going to grow up to be the leader of Taiwan! And a good one at that!

[quote=“lane119”][quote=“hexuan”]Another nice story taipeitimes.com/News/taiwan/ … 2003211275

[/quote]

Hedline redes: Study finds that children of foreign brides are `slow’

TEXT: About 90 percent of the children of foreign brides of Taiwanese citizens suffer slowness in cognition and language development, the Chiayi (Jiayi) Christian Hospital (CCH) reported yesterday.

This story was in all 3 English papers today here, maybe in the Chinese papers too, I am sure. What a stupid stupid report, if the translation is correct. SLOW?

THis same thing happened to children of Euro immigrants 50-100 years ago in new York and Boston, the most famous being Leo Buscaglia, the writer and public speaker, RIP now, who was also labelled as a slow learner in first grade because he grew up in an Italian family and his English at the time was not super rate. So he was put in slow learners class, deemed stupid and a slow kid.

It’s all about language, hospital reseachers. Get a brain on!

One of the slow kids is going to grow up to be the leader of Taiwan! And a good one at that![/quote]

But the article did say the likely cause was language:

In fact it was quite clearly arguing that the children were “slow” largely because of external factors that the state should be rectifying.

The title was extremely prejudicial but the rest of the article was not.

The problem is not just language but that the women, msotly poor, are marrying poor rural men. You can expect that the majority of the children from such a background (even with two Taiwanese parents) will be behind their urban middle class peers.

i would like to know what exactly their evidence is. you can just see how these kids are going to get pigeon-holed because their chinese is not at the level of the other kids, big fucking surprise.

[quote=“kellohitty”] I must admit: Taiwanese people do take racism to the extreme. I would laugh if it wasn’t so pathetic. I just know I’m going to get so many responses lecturing me about what is so different about the 2. :unamused:
I think that’s why I love Canada so much. It’s one of the countries that actually promotes and LIVES the multicultural society. There is racism everywhere but as we live in Taiwan, it just happens that we notice it here.
[/quote]

Why do you notice it here? Is it because suddenly it’s affecting you?

It may just be me, but when I see those quotation marks around the word “slow” I see an editor distancing himself/herself from the claim that is being made, ie, read the story and judge for yourself. Normally this seems to be done for political stuff (from what I can make it out), but the fact that the quotes were used for a story on medical research suggests there might have been a lot of scepticism on the part of the editor.

Likewise, with Kathy Ke, surely it is the responsibility of a newspaper, no matter how “small-town” it is, to report on such remarks if they are made by a person with significant responsibilities? I don’t see any objections leveled at newspapers for covering the perennially stupid aphorisms of Annette Lu: when she says indigenous people don’t hold a candle to extinct black dwarves or suggests AIDS sufferers be herded into a village in Taoyuan or somewhere, I want to know - because she’s the fucking vice president!

The issue is surely this: what did Kathy Ke actually say? Does anyone know? Have her comments been double-checked? We absolutely cannot rely on the real Pearl Buck group person to make that call:

That sounds like trying to cover someone else’s ass to me. How can that person be so certain about what she said if it - presumably - was in Chinese and she was the only person he spoke to about it?

Get the original quote in Chinese, translate it, and if it is clear that the mistake was in translation or bad reporting, then and only then shoot the messenger. Indeed, Ms Ke would have very good grounds to visit the TT herself and demand a personal apology.

Otherwise a polite but very firm letter to Ms Ke herself explaining how she could improve her performance would definitely be in order.