Taiwanese really love business

[quote=“sandman”]Here, Buttercup! You’re talking shite! I got with my wife so I could get some tit and pussy action without having to buy her dinner first. She could ALREADY speak better English than me before I met her. And no, she hadn’t been fucking other white guys beforehand.
Now all I get is dirty nappies, baby rash ointment and why the fuck haven’t I washed the damn bottles yet?[/quote]

Oh shut it, you! What I am saying is, and correct me if I’m wrong, is that your wife and every Taiwanese person I know who speaks more than A2-B1 (elementary/pre-intermediate) English, did not learn it as an adult at a Taiwanese cram school; they learned it at school and through living their lives not through doing the 58th lesson on the past perfect with someone who has no idea how to teach the past perfect. That’s not a controversial or rude thing to say. As a method, cramschool is just daft. They might as well hitch their cart to some weird white bloke; that’d be crap too but at least they’ll get some meaningful practice with the English.

[quote]
You might laugh at the Taiwanese with their goals of ‘life long learning’, but have a think about what that really means. It means travelling the world on daddy’s dime, farting about with increasingly useless Masters and PhDs. Now THAT is a lifestyle I could aspire to.[/quote]

Yeah, I see what you mean. My education was entirely wasted on me. I left school at 23, entirely on the taxpayers’/my grandparents’ coin. I would LOVE to have the time and money and freedom to do that again, though it would be pretty difficult to justify the expense.

[quote=“Buttercup”] Effort is irrelevant; the key factors are intelligence/aptitude for languages and exposure to huge amounts of input at the appropriate level. A lot of research and and my own observation have made this fairly clear to me.
[/quote]

I agree wit a lot of what you say, but I’m not sure about this.

Key factors are aptitude but certainly not intelligence. I think “effort” certainly is a factor if you translate it into “motivation”.

[quote=“yamato”][quote=“Buttercup”] Effort is irrelevant; the key factors are intelligence/aptitude for languages and exposure to huge amounts of input at the appropriate level. A lot of research and and my own observation have made this fairly clear to me.
[/quote]

I agree wit a lot of what you say, but I’m not sure about this.

Key factors are aptitude but certainly not intelligence. I think “effort” certainly is a factor if you translate it into “motivation”.[/quote]

I know it’s not very PC to say it, but the same people who argue for an inclusive, ‘everyone has different strengths and weaknesses’, Gardner-esque educational style also argue that everyone can become competent in difficult foreign languages. It’s not consistent or logical. I don’t mean that some people can’t learn anything, but one of the factors in their reaching a plateau will certainly be their intelligence. This is true for native language speakers too. Not all native speakers can write English competently, despite having access to the same resources. Why deny individual differences?

I’m not saying people shouldn’t try, or should be denied resources, or be labelled ‘stupid’.

Until I was about 13 or 14, I badly wanted to be a ballet dancer (don’t laugh). Through effort and eating disorders, I was competent for a kiddie ballerina. But physically, I’m too short, my feet are the wrong shape, my limbs aren’t long enough. Psychologically, I lost my nerve when I hit puberty. Cognitively, I couldn’t remember long sequences of movement which were easy for the other kids. I was never going to be a pro dancer, but I had a lot of fun until I reached the stage of ‘Why is everyone looking at me?’ Is it that I was simply not focused and motivated enough to develop that part of my brain, or was there a fundamental lack of innate ‘aptitude’ there? Personally, I think aptitude is a way of letting yourself off the hook. Aside from the physical stuff, psychologically, I just lost it, so I blamed the other stuff for my lack of success. ‘I just wasn’t born to be a dancer’ and other shit like that.

It’s the same with any complex endeavour. I really do think that intelligence is intelligence and that ‘Multiple Intelligences’ is garbage. The reason humans have spikes in certain areas is by labelling themselves in certain areas and by motivation/interest in certain areas. Aptitude and intelligence are words which get confused a lot. You’ve talked to the ‘bad at maths’ kids; ‘Oooh! I can’t count with mittens on but I’m GREAT at X’. This comes from labelling by stupid teachers and parents, and laziness/lack of interest. And yes, lack of general intelligence (no value judgement on that. All of us are dumber than someone else. Apart from one person).

Motivation? Yes, you certainly won’t get there without motivation, but if you don’t translate it into effort, which you wouldn’t because it means something else, we all know how many hours Taiwanese students spend ‘learning English’ with very very few progressing beyond the standard East Asian B1 plateau, which is where native speakers of East Asian languages, of normal intelligence and education generally hit a wall. Unfortunately, most of this wasted classroom time is when they are children and have no intrinsic motivation, and inferior cognitive skills. If they freed up their time for play and education, instead of buxiban busywork, and then learned when and if they needed to as teens and young adults, more of them might reach their goals. A motivated, intelligent adult will blast through that wall in a much shorter timescale than a kid will. An adult who signs up for two classes a week will not make that much progress unless they can effectively manage their own learning, which is fairly rare.

All of this is, of course, just my opinion. :blah:

And a very fine opinion it is Buttercup.

The only drawback for most of the posters on this site is it would put them out of work if punters reached the conclusion that they were wasting their money sending their kids to study English. It wouldn’t be too hot for the profit margins of ESL publishers either.

I was gonna ask where all this info was coming from and then you wrote:

[quote=“Buttercup”]
All of this is, of course, just my opinion. :blah:[/quote]

:laughing:

Of the SLA research I’ve read, language competence and aptitude are not correlated to intelligence.

Re: “fucking white guys” as an ESL method. The converse is also true. A fair number of Asian studies majors emerged out of “bar Japanese” learned in the 50s and 60s, esp. from “schools” in Okinawa, and at Tachikawa, Sasebo, and Yokosuka. The in/out in/out doctrine of linguistic reciprocity.

[quote=“yamato”]

Of the SLA research I’ve read, language competence and aptitude are not correlated to intelligence.[/quote]

I’m happy to be corrected. Fire away. Cite something that shows people with C1/C2 additional language proficiency and median IQ scores, or what ever you can dig up. East Asian learners of Indo-European languages, or vice versa. I’d be very interested to read it.

Let’s have a post, rather than just a knowing smiley which comes accross as fairly dismissive, don’t you think?

There are people here in Taiwan who have interests in things other than making money or business, but I don’t think many of them are into business, probably because they simply don’t have the time to do both. I’ve met a fair few surfers here (because I’m a member of a Taiwanese surf club, and to my knowledge, I’m the only foreign member). Likewise, I used to train at a Taiwanese kendo club (but stopped because of injuries). There was one other foreigner there, and one Taiwanese guy who had lived in Japan for many years.

In the case of the surf club, I’d say of the regular members, there are probably 10% or so who can really speak English well. Others could say really basic stuff, but my Chinese is better than the English of most of them, which speaks volumes. Two of those who speak really well left to do a working holiday in Australia. Another did that last year. The owners’ son and daughter speak well enough, though not great. There’s one guy who is a taxi driver in Taipei who speaks quite well. There’s a woman who works at a university in admin. who speaks fairly well. There’s another guy who works at the airport as a baggage handler who speaks fairly well. All of them still have problems with verb tenses and so on a lot of the time, even though I understand. If I had to hazard a guess, I’d say only the woman who works at the university has ever been through the buxiban system. Perhaps those who went to Australia, though I suspect they just learnt it in school and were fairly into it. The baggage handler said he has a lot of foreign friends (so he’s learnt Japanese the same way). I’d guess the taxi driver picked a lot up on the job.

As far as the kendo club, there was really only one guy there who spoke English very well – the guy who lived in Japan. He made mistakes, but he could discuss technical/philosophical concepts about kendo, which is no mean feat because half the time I don’t fully get them when an ABJ talks about them. Actually, for a long time, I thought he was Japanese because he has a Japanese accent when speaks English, which is kind of odd. I highly doubt he went through a buxiban. I know he does a lot of business in Japan, but I don’t know if he does anything in English. No one else at the club spoke English well. Some could get by in English with me, but even then, very few. One girl would always want to talk my ear off in bad English in the middle of training, which was frustrating. Apparently, her German was better. I had more luck using an odd mix of Chinese and Japanese kendo terms (half of which they didn’t know either).

A lot of my adult students are like the one’s in the OP, but it is slowly changing, I have 1 or 2 girls now and again that say, “I like to get a tan”, or “I love surfing”. There are a couple of gasps or surprised looks in class when it happens. Part of it is a time factor. A lot of Taiwanese would love to do more, but work rules much of their time. And let’s face it the making money thing is still a big deal especially for many of those over 40. I spend a bit too much time in front of screens too, but bike, swim, workout and paint a little here in Taiwan and read 1 novel a month. Just need some balance and I have the time. People here don’t get much life experiences early enough either.

Look at their income, average 30,000 ntd especially for women. Many have to make contributions to their parents also. Then to get a job these days often a degree isn’t enough and they ask for multiple foreign languages. To hold onto the job you have to put in overtime if you are Taiwan. There are economic reasons for this.

[quote=“Buttercup”][quote=“yamato”]

Of the SLA research I’ve read, language competence and aptitude are not correlated to intelligence.[/quote]

I’m happy to be corrected. Fire away. Cite something that shows people with C1/C2 additional language proficiency and median IQ scores, or what ever you can dig up. East Asian learners of Indo-European languages, or vice versa. I’d be very interested to read it.

Let’s have a post, rather than just a knowing smiley which comes accross as fairly dismissive, don’t you think?[/quote]

Testy aren’t we?

Let’s recap.

You assert that IQ is a factor in Language learning.

I assert that nothing I have read suggests it is.

You counter by challening me to produce evidence of…the nothing?

Are you serious? You want me to somehow prove that something “doesn’t” exist? I’m afraid the burden of proof lies with you.

[quote=“yamato”][quote=“Buttercup”][quote=“yamato”]

Let’s have a post, rather than just a knowing smiley which comes accross as fairly dismissive, don’t you think?[/quote]

Testy aren’t we?

Let’s recap.

You assert that IQ is a factor in Language learning.

I assert that nothing I have read suggests it is.

You counter by challening me to produce evidence of…the nothing?

Are you serious? You want me to somehow prove that something “doesn’t” exist? I’m afraid the burden of proof lies with you.[/quote]

What do you mean, “nothing you have read”? Do you mean (a) that you have read work that claims there is no connection, or (b) that you have read nothing on the subject at all?

If (a), cite it. If (b), why make the comment?

There is in fact plenty of literature on this subject, and the jury is pretty much out as far as I can see. journals.tc-library.org/ojs/inde … File/69/75 for example.