Taiwanese rechao restaurants

I hope they hadn’t already invested in the lazy Susans or expensive silverware…

3 Likes

Oh, I always thought these were the same thing (“rechao” and beer house). Is there an actual difference between them beyond the name? Was it mainly that the (older) beer houses tended to have semi-outdoor seating while the rechao places were mostly indoor (though often with an open facade)?

You don’t see beer houses much anymore nowadays. Beer houses are elaborate rechao places with a theme (like dinosaurs, the apocalypse, etc.) with a special decor and sometimes have a DJ playing music and taking requests. The beer houses that had outdoor seating were sometimes called beer gardens. I remember one was called Jeep Garden, and sure enough, Jeeps were the theme. Present day rechao places look humble compared with those elaborate affairs. What I wouldn’t give to visit one today.

3 Likes

Indeed…

10 Likes

Now you’re making me nostalgic. I remember they even had a puke basin (vomitorium) in the bathroom in true Roman fashion. No, that’s not your everyday rechao restaurant.

3 Likes

I seem to recall one way down Zhongxiao E. Rd. that was made out of a repurposed passenger jet fuselage…or is that just my imagination?

That’s ringing a faint bell for me, but maybe in Vietnam?

It wasn’t this place, was it?

I wouldn’t be surprised if there was one in Dongqu. My personal favorite was Apocalypse Now on Fuxing. Good food on top of good beer and music. Bring back the '90s!

2 Likes

No, this was late 80s…way before the A380, and I’m pretty sure it was on Zhongxiao E. Rd. I wasn’t doing psychedelics at the time either, so…

1 Like

Definitely not! Not enough grunge.

1 Like

I remember a restaurant across from honshulin mrt station that had a 737 on it … no idea what happened to it

Drunken Man’s Seafood 醉翁漁港海鮮 in Taipei is my favorite. You can bring your own bottle of booze, too. I don’t drink now so participating in this thread is driving me crazy!

1 Like

Having fun with friends in a pub, and not drinking, would be really hard I think. But a rechao place would barely be manageable, as long as your friends don’t try to pressure you to drink.

2 Likes

I’m not ready for either of those things. But soon. I almost think a rechao would be worse because I used to get hammered at those places. The constant intake of food helped, but we would order beer after beer after the scotch was gone. And the beer girls were fun to talk to.

1 Like

Just pour yourself some apple soda before the beers come out. It’s harder to pour beer into your glass if it’s already full.

1 Like

So what’s your favorite dish at rechao places? In the states they had a thing called pipa tofu. It’s some kind of deep fried thing that’s a mix of meat and tofu and the sauce they served it with was great. Then also 空心菜 is really good from rechao places too. When I cook the vegetable I like to add a little bit of fermented tofu, it together with garlic gives it just the right mix of flavor.

I’m hungry just thinking about it. I don’t care about alcohol but I do care for the food.

They didn’t really have rechao in the states… Just sit down restaurants that serves roughly the same kind of food rechao serves.

I seen buffets serve these, rechao seems to give me the impression that they serve the same food buffets and lunch box places serve, except the food isn’t cold.

Totally different flavor.

1 Like

宮保雞丁

3 Likes